I have no excuses now...

ArcticFox

The Childlike Empress
Registered
Reaction score
So, I want my first draft of my first novel to be completed by February 14, 2009. That is about six months away. It's YA Sci-Fi and my aim is 80,000 words or so depending on how the plot unfolds.

To facilitate this I have told my boss, my mother, even the lady at the library where I hope to do a lot of the writing. Now, I am telling you. E-mails, PM's and words of encouragement will be so appreciated in the coming months! My hope is to have something to query next September. In the interim I am also trying to sell my short work and get my name out there. It's time I got myself out there instead of just writing and coming up with ideas in my little hole and never really showing anyone except teachers or close friends.

I want my work to be seen I do. I want people to know what I have in my head. I guess my issue is the steps to getting there and the possible rejection in that process.

Thanks for any help and I think I am going to attempt to change my sig to reflect my goal too. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I'd recommend setting intermediate goals. Calculate how many words a day you need to do to reach your goal, round it up quite nicely to take account of those days when no writing will get done and find a way of tracking it. That is helpful for a lot of people.

ArcticFox

The Childlike Empress
Registered
Reaction score
Judg - Right well...some quick math and searching tells me that my D-Day is 174 days away. If I want to write 80,000 words by then I need to write 459 words per day. That is not bad at all! To give myself an edge I will say that I want to write 1000 words per day. That should be good. I actually have a NaNoWriMo report card thing that will help me keep it all together and see how my progress is so I can keep BIC. Thanks for the tip!

RJV - Thanks and I am getting ready to. Thanks for the help!

smoothseas - Absolutely! I replied to you in PM!

Thanks, guys! Now to get BIC!

Viral

Incoherant author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shiresu.net
What's your story about? :)

Six months is a long time - you'll be able to do it!

ArcticFox

The Childlike Empress
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. My story is about two kids who live on a sea colony, the parents are scientists and are working on biological weapons to use during the war that is currently raging on dry land. The colony gets discovered and that's when my story begins. Survival, loss and some nifty tech stuff. That is a pretty quick and dirty summary.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
1000 a day is a good goal-- gives you time to edit (either during or after) and still reach completion by your goal.

You can do it! I finished my 63k novel in 5 months, started in on Christmas break and finished it just after school let out. (I'm a teacher!)

You might find some sort of ticker or something to show your progress. I made (geek alert!) an Excel spreadsheet with a graph. Every time I entered my word count, it made a new bar on the graph, inching closer to my goal. It was encouraging-- I wanted to make the graph for HIGHER. Or whatever motivates you to push yourself.

ArcticFox

The Childlike Empress
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Susie!

Thanks, Clair! *points down* I have my little ticker on here and on my blog. Plus I have a word counter on my blog! I also downloaded an excel sheet that calculates my pacing and all of that to keep me on track. It's modified from the NaNoWriMo one. It is pretty cool. So, I seem to be all set! I have my blog, here and my spreadsheet to let me know how I am doing. Now I am going to get BIC!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress!

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Good luck to you!!!
And I might encourage you to hang around the monthly goals threads we create around here (there should be one for August, even if it only has a week left)...helps to put goals down in writing and keep them in front of you.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Go, girl, GO. You'll feel sooo good when you've met your target.

ArcticFox

The Childlike Empress
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much guys! I have been working diligently and I appreciate all the good wishes...as a treat here is my first paragraph.

Ocean was slammed against a metal wall by the force of the impact to the protective covering of the sea colony. Soldiers and scientists rushed by the teenager while she rubbed her shoulder. Continuing down the hallway she quickly came to the doors of the laboratory where her parents worked. Ocean pressed the numbered code that would let her into the lab, but the door did not open. She tried the code again and still the door remained closed. She could hear the strident voices of officers giving orders somewhere close by and condensation from the rafters was dripping onto her face.

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
You can absolutely do this! I agree with you about telling everybody. I do the same, that way people remember to ask me how it's going. It keeps us accountable! Good luck!

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with it!

Here's a bit of advice: (Feel free to use it or dump it as you see fit)

Don't go online until you've finished your daily writing. I've learned from experience... ;)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck and keep going a little bit evey day