PDA

View Full Version : Glen or gully plant & animal life experts

CathyB
08-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi! I'm looking for a scientist or expert about northeastern glens. Specifically, I'd like to know plant species growing, especially flowers, mosses, and trees. And, I'd love to know the water and land mammals, bugs, fish, crustaceans, etc. one could expect to find there. Which animals eat which plants?

Any surprising or interesting facts about glens, such as creatures that hibernate under rocks in the water? What are the benefits of glens to the ecosystem?

How about any reading material I could use to research glens in the northeastern U.S.?

Finally, anyone with a lovely experience visiting a glen would be appreciated. Family visits, romantic visits or solitary escapes.

Thank-you!!

Cathleen

Linda Adams
08-24-2008, 08:56 PM
If you have a specific state in mind, you should be able to find state park resources with a lot of information about the plant and animal life (such places are likely to be a state or national park). I had to research a place for what species lived there and found most of my information online fairly easily.

If you're not in the state itself, you still can go online to the state's libraries and see what books they have on their area. Once you have the titles on hand, you can order the book itself or do an intralibrary loan.

Puma
08-24-2008, 10:19 PM
There are many, many books available. I suggest you visit a library or bookstore and pick out titles that appear to be the most worthwhile - and then get them from your library. One you might find useful is The Ecology of Northeastern Forests. And, as Linda said, there are many resources available on the internet.

Also, for future reference, you asked a very large, open question without much in the way of specifics - if you can narrow down what you're looking for, you may get more in the way of answers - i.e., to me there's a big difference between a glen and a gully, and there's a big difference in what you're asking from state to state (and even within states). You need to explain your parameters more - does a glen have a constant source of water and a gully an intermittent source, is a glen forested and a gully primarily barren, is your question about upstate New York or northern Maine or - that type of thing. Good luck in your search. Puma