Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
So, I'm out for my normal 2-mile lunch walk and I get ahead of these women, and I overhear, "So she axed him. She axed him, then she turned around and axed me!" and I'm horrified. I don't want to turn around for fear of seeing this poor woman with a cleft skull, and I'm thinking, here this woman has Lizzy Bordon running around her office, she might be mortally wounded, and she's talking about it like it's an every day occurance.

What's wrong with this picture?

Which reminds me of my own near death experience. I went to the supermarket to pick up a few items and I see this new product, I can't remember the name nor is it important to this story, but I get in the checkout and the cashier picks it up and she's like, "Have you tried this?" And I'm like no, and she goes, "Cuz I was gonna ax you!" WTF? What kind of grocery story slaughters their customers for trying new products?
I have never returned there again!

So I ax you, what is the world coming to?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I consider myself lucky that this particular idiomatic pronunciation has not yet reached my workplace.

Ferret: If you write this in a column you could probably sell it to your local daily. It's funny stuff. Use your powers for good, not evil, young Padawan.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
"Ax" as a subdialectical pronunciation of "ask" has been around since the 18th century. It's generally considered to be a sign of an uneducated speaker, but I know some tenured university professors who use it as a matter of course, because it is part of the subdialect they grew up with.

Ferret, dear, I don't see how you went all these years without encountering this very frequent variant pronunciation.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
"Ax" as a subdialectical pronunciation of "ask" has been around since the 18th century. It's generally considered to be a sign of an uneducated speaker, but I know some tenured university professors who use it as a matter of course, because it is part of the subdialect they grew up with.

Ferret, dear, I don't see how you went all these years without encountering this very frequent variant pronunciation.
I have encountered it before. I usually ignore it, but this particular woman's monologue just piqued my interest and imagination. Must be the horror writer in me.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
here in the south, it's 'coke'.

not that you ast me or nuthin'.

*ast is the word you come up with when you take a noo yawker and put her in Georgia*

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up drinking coke but now I drink soda thanks to a roommate from NJ! :tongue

But - a few years ago we hired a bricklayer to build a "chimbley" on our house (his word not mine).

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up right next to Cananda. We don't say Noo Yawk in Buffalo, We do however say sherbert instead of sherbet.
Lessin yu ben to skool then it's sorbet...side from bakalav the onlist too things reely good from Turkey. Cep for Turkeys, need dem for thanksgivn.