On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*hands champagne to Pink Ink*

Congratulations! You are now a full-fledged member of the club! You took the risk and put your work out there. This is your first layer of rhino hide. Very few writers have the guts to do what you did!

Now drink that champagne and send it out again!

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
When I got my first rejection, I put it on the Goals and Accomplishments page. ;)

Seriously, if you got so far on your very first request, the future looks bright for you. Dry your eyes, hold up your head, and start work on your query letter, if you haven't already.

CharlieBabbitt

Read. Write. Tivo.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that -- it's so disappointing. I can commiserate, my full was rejected on Saturday -- but then five days later a different agent requested a full. So now that you've had a good cry (and a glass of champagne), get those queries out there! Your real agent is waiting...

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
I know it hurts :Hug2:

Feel free to wallow a day or two, then realize that if the agent requested the full your work has potential :Sun:

Don't wait to long to query again and know that the rejections DO get easier to take.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
That's actually a very auspicious beginning, Pink Ink. My first rejection, all these many years ago, was a NO scrawled across my query letter and shoved, all wrinkled, into my poor little SASE.

Get that baby out there again and keep her out until someone adopts her.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
You got a full request on your first query! Woot!

You know that just means you're going to have your pick of agents soon, and then there'll be the auction...

Congrats!

Pink Ink

girl at heart
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pink-ink-pink.blogspot.com
Callalily: Thanks. *Rhino Hide* That made me smile. Yes, that's how this process feels like. I survived, and I am developing a thicker skin. It did feel like stepping out into the world for scrutiny, and though it's scary as heck, I did it, and it feels great.

Judg: *Goals and Accomplishments page* It's not all bad, I know. And yes, I sent out more query letters this past week. I am a glutton for punishment! :) So far: 1 rejection to my equery, 1 request for a partial.

C.bronco: Thanks! *bucking up* I'll be alright.

Charlie: Congrats on the request for the full, and good luck!

Pink Ink

girl at heart
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Iheart: I am learning not to take things personally.

Phael: I love e-mail. I can be rejected/requested without having to leave my computer. And hooray for saving bunches of paper!

Siddow: *my pick of agents soon* Oof, that would be lovely, wouldn't it?

oneidii

Copyediting Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenkblom.com
That is fantastic that you got your first rejection! And a partial off the first one! You will do great, hang out in the rejection and dejection thread, and you'll do it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you got a rejection but congratulations for getting a request for a full out of one query. :Sun:

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
It may be disappointing, but rejection is part of the process. I've actually gotten to the point where I anticipate that everything I write will be rejected and look forward to the notices.

It's not some sadomasochistic tendency, it's an acceptance that most of my work is going to be rejected by someone, somewhere, for some reason. Eventually, someone out there is going to accept it if I keep working and improving. Every rejection is a spur to make me go back to the work or keep working on whatever I'm working on at the moment. It keeps my butt in the chair working and improving.

It also means that I've taken the time and made the effort to polish a piece and submit it. You'll never be accepted unless you submit. Nobody's going to like and appreciate everything you write. Simply being here is an acceptance of that fact (and boy are there some tough critics here).

Use a rejection to keep your butt in that chair working. Get used to them and accept them as inspirations to keep submitting and keep polishing. Look forward to the rejections. They mean you did the work and submitted, nothing more.

Pink Ink

girl at heart
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Iheart: Sure! I'll write a book about it, but I'll use a pseudonym. I won't be able to stand any criticism :).

Oneidii: Thanks and congrats on your landing an agent!

HeaGrg: Hey! We share the same birthday...have a happy one, and thanks.

Greenwolf: Thanks for the welcome.

FOTSGreg: I love writing horror, too! Yeah, I agree, this whole querying process has been very interesting. I've been sending out different queries, to see what might get a bite out there. It's almost like a game. I can't wait to see what each day brings. I mean, it's kind of serious, but after that first rejection, I feel like I've loosened up. I'm still alive, and hey, maybe it's not so bad after all.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on your first rejection. This is validation that you are, in fact, a writer.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
I know it doesn't seem like it, but your first rejection is a major accomplishment. Welcome to the club of submitting writers! You are putting your work out there, and getting a request right off the bat is a great start. My first rejection was a form email.

Good luck! Sounds like you've already gotten yourself another partial request!

Woodsie

I have tendencies.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.graceisforsinner.com
Pink Ink, I'm not too far in front of you. I've had 8 rejections out of 12. It's getting easier. It's a good sign that you're at least getting requests to see more, but it's also confusing when they like it, but still pass. Argh! You're not alone!

I'll check out your blog after work.... (mine has writing you might identify with, especially from may - july if you want to roll around in the discouragement and then get up and try it again.)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
That's disappointing, and I'm sorry, but you're so far ahead a lot of us here, including me! I have so far had only one request for a partial, and that was rejected.

So, I say congratulations! You should celebrate!

Status
Not open for further replies.