Always return your library books

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
That has to do with the idea that most mug shots are taken of people that have done more than kept a couple of library books out for too long. Personally if I saw a mug shot of a serial killer and he was smiling, I would run...to Europe.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
This can get you arrested ?

twitches nervously

Only in Wisconsin. That's because we have Conan the Librarian.
55802RwYV_w.jpg

Don't you know the Dewey Decimal System!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Just be grateful you don't have the PA librarian. Then we'd all know you as Mr Three Hats, or worse, and would have to snigger at you whenever you walked by.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
The worst they do here is threaten to send you to a collection agency, where they'll call you daily at dinnertime over a $10 fine. I'm not sure I'd rather be arrested.

And I'm glad I paid our library fines last payday. My daughter and I were almost up to that "magical" $30 mark. :tongue

(We even have a euphemism for paying fines: We're supporting our public library!)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...she was surprised when officers with a warrant knocked on her door, cuffed her and took her to the police station to be fingerprinted and photographed.
Yeah, some folks are often surprised to learn they can be arrested for stealing and for not responding to "a notice to appear in court."

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I guess I'll be next. I was cleaning out some stuff my daughter left in her closet last week and found a library book we must have forgotten to return. I got it when she was around 5 and now she's 24. That would make the book 23 years late. I can only imagine what the late fees would be on it. Look for a thread where I'll be beggin for donations to get me out of jail for stealing "Shimmerie The Pony".

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I got it when she was around 5 and now she's 24. That would make the book 23 years late...
Wow, Joyce. By now, you must be considered a felon! I recommend you return the book, pay the $2374.95 fine, and throw yourself at the mercy of the court after you are tried and convicted of losing track of the book.

At least you didn't ignore any court summons, which would surely bring jail time...

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Wow, Joyce. By now, you must be considered a felon! I recommend you return the book, pay the $2374.95 fine, and throw yourself at the mercy of the court after you are tried and convicted of losing track of the book.

At least you didn't ignore any court summons, which would surely bring jail time...

I'm grateful I never received a court summons. I must admit I thought about what I should do with it. I wondered if I dropped it off in the book return slot would I open up a can of worms that was better left 23 years in the past. I know the library sometimes goes crazy with late fees, and I figured they just might charge me thousands for a book that cost $11.95. I was thinking it might be best to just let dead dogs lie.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Usually, they'll simply charge you the value of the book as a maximum in fees. But if you haven't received any notices that it's overdue by now, and you're still able to borrow library books, I'd say it's a safe bet that the library's forgotten all about it.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Very good chance they've thrown out all those old paper files anyway.

Nowadays you have to count on a system-wide computer crash instead of one absent-minded librarian putting the piece of paper in the wrong place.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Wow, she REALLY Bundied those books, didn't she??

Well, they ARE good books. :D

I think my library LIVES for my paying late fees. They've stopped sending me notices.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
And more of our tax payers money being put to wonderful use.

Sigh.....such a waste.