PDA

View Full Version : Always return your library books

Pagey's_Girl
08-22-2008, 07:27 PM
or else (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26335283/?GT1=43001)

Shadow_Ferret
08-22-2008, 07:31 PM
What a happy mugshot. :)

I'm guessing that we should return our son's library book on lightning then, since we've had it out for almost a year now.

*hears a knock at the door*

Just a minute!

nessam
08-22-2008, 07:38 PM
I don't think I would look that happy over being arrested for $30 in fines.

CaroGirl
08-22-2008, 08:04 PM
I don't think I would look that happy over being arrested for $30 in fines.
What would you look that happy over being arrested for?

Shadow_Ferret
08-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Indecent exposure and public intoxication.

CaroGirl
08-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Indecent exposure and public intoxication.
Or perhaps indecent intoxication and public exposure.

Shadow_Ferret
08-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Or public indecency and intoxicated exposure.

Judg
08-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Maybe she was just smart enough to realize this mugshot could end up in the news. You know how awful those things usually are.

Kitrianna
08-22-2008, 08:48 PM
That has to do with the idea that most mug shots are taken of people that have done more than kept a couple of library books out for too long. Personally if I saw a mug shot of a serial killer and he was smiling, I would run...to Europe.

TerzaRima
08-22-2008, 09:30 PM
This can get you arrested ?

twitches nervously

Kitrianna
08-22-2008, 09:31 PM

twitches nervously

Only if they can find you. Always give the goverment a fake address except when filing taxes. You do want their money right?

Shadow_Ferret
08-22-2008, 09:39 PM

twitches nervously

Only in Wisconsin. That's because we have Conan the Librarian.
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/55500/55802RwYV_w.jpg
Don't you know the Dewey Decimal System!

ZannaPerry
08-22-2008, 11:01 PM
my librarian doesn't like me......what to do?

Old Hack
08-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Just be grateful you don't have the PA librarian. Then we'd all know you as Mr Three Hats, or worse, and would have to snigger at you whenever you walked by.

Yeshanu
08-22-2008, 11:07 PM
The worst they do here is threaten to send you to a collection agency, where they'll call you daily at dinnertime over a $10 fine. I'm not sure I'd rather be arrested.

And I'm glad I paid our library fines last payday. My daughter and I were almost up to that "magical" $30 mark. :tongue

(We even have a euphemism for paying fines: We're supporting our public library!)

astonwest
08-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Sounds like they have a sweet scam to pick up some extra cash for minor offenses. Didn't it say someone had to pay $172 for her $30 fines?

Silver King
08-23-2008, 04:10 AM
...she was surprised when officers with a warrant knocked on her door, cuffed her and took her to the police station to be fingerprinted and photographed.Yeah, some folks are often surprised to learn they can be arrested for stealing and for not responding to "a notice to appear in court."

joyce
08-23-2008, 04:30 AM
I guess I'll be next. I was cleaning out some stuff my daughter left in her closet last week and found a library book we must have forgotten to return. I got it when she was around 5 and now she's 24. That would make the book 23 years late. I can only imagine what the late fees would be on it. Look for a thread where I'll be beggin for donations to get me out of jail for stealing "Shimmerie The Pony".

Silver King
08-23-2008, 04:42 AM
...I got it when she was around 5 and now she's 24. That would make the book 23 years late...
Wow, Joyce. By now, you must be considered a felon! I recommend you return the book, pay the $2374.95 fine, and throw yourself at the mercy of the court after you are tried and convicted of losing track of the book.

At least you didn't ignore any court summons, which would surely bring jail time...

joyce
08-23-2008, 05:20 AM
Wow, Joyce. By now, you must be considered a felon! I recommend you return the book, pay the $2374.95 fine, and throw yourself at the mercy of the court after you are tried and convicted of losing track of the book.

At least you didn't ignore any court summons, which would surely bring jail time...

I'm grateful I never received a court summons. I must admit I thought about what I should do with it. I wondered if I dropped it off in the book return slot would I open up a can of worms that was better left 23 years in the past. I know the library sometimes goes crazy with late fees, and I figured they just might charge me thousands for a book that cost $11.95. I was thinking it might be best to just let dead dogs lie.

Yeshanu
08-23-2008, 05:46 AM
Usually, they'll simply charge you the value of the book as a maximum in fees. But if you haven't received any notices that it's overdue by now, and you're still able to borrow library books, I'd say it's a safe bet that the library's forgotten all about it.

Judg
08-23-2008, 06:04 AM
Very good chance they've thrown out all those old paper files anyway.

Nowadays you have to count on a system-wide computer crash instead of one absent-minded librarian putting the piece of paper in the wrong place.

astonwest
08-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Wow, Joyce. By now, you must be considered a felon!I figured she'd be up for lethal injection, myself...

Greenwolf103
08-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Wow, she REALLY Bundied those books, didn't she??

Well, they ARE good books. :D

I think my library LIVES for my paying late fees. They've stopped sending me notices.

CACTUSWENDY
08-23-2008, 06:48 PM
And more of our tax payers money being put to wonderful use.

Sigh.....such a waste.

joyce
08-23-2008, 06:52 PM
I figured she'd be up for lethal injection, myself...

At least it will be quick.............

sheadakota
08-23-2008, 08:41 PM
I bought a used book from amazon and when I recieved it, it was a library book- am I in trouble?

Seaclusion
08-23-2008, 08:49 PM
I bought a used book from amazon and when I recieved it, it was a library book- am I in trouble?

If it is stamped 'taken out of circulation" or 'removed from library system' you're alright. If not, *gasp* you're recieving stolen property.

Richard

BlindedxxFalcon
08-23-2008, 09:57 PM
The library kept hassling me about a book I hadn't returned. Guess what? It was on the shelf. Guess what else? It happened twice.

Greenwolf103
08-23-2008, 10:53 PM
I returned a library book but my library said it was never returned. Kept getting notices. I went there and explained the situation. They said they'd use a 30-day time period to look for the book in the library and if they can't find it, I'll have to pay for it. Yep, I paid for it. :mad:

sheadakota
08-24-2008, 02:08 AM
If it is stamped 'taken out of circulation" or 'removed from library system' you're alright. If not, *gasp* you're recieving stolen property.

Richard
Guess I'm in trouble then.

joyce
08-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Guess I'm in trouble then.

Maybe we can go to the execution together.:D

Unique
08-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Oh, I WISH they'd send some people to jail here -

Like the people who come in and check out a thousand dollars worth of new books - and never come back.

Not to mention the damn stamps -
to mail letters that don't do shit. (2x)

The fines only go up to 5$ and then stop. No matter how many years you've had the book checked out....

And do they go back and make those books 'missing' ? Ah, hell no. They're just checked out so they don't get replaced.

People come in and request such and so book .... uh oh. 'It was checked out in 2006 - I don't think that one's coming back, ma'am.'

Ahem.

I'd love to give that geeky smiling woman the old 'Three Stooges Poke' right in the ol' eyeballs. See how many books you can read w/your eyes poked out, ya old heffer.

Yeshanu
08-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Like the people who come in and check out a thousand dollars worth of new books - and never come back.

The fines only go up to 5$ and then stop. No matter how many years you've had the book checked out....

That might be part of the problem. Your library might want to consider changing its policies so that the fines don't stop going up.

And yeah, we've gone the lost book route, too. Found a few on the shelves, and found one a few months after all fines had been paid. We did take that last one back, and got the price of the book back (with receipt). But usually it's our fault, not theirs.