Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

Last edited:

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I don't like eggplant. I used to put it in my veggie lasagna (there's a great recipe if you search the South Beach Diet recipe forum), but now I simply substitute with zucchini.

Sorry.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
To be honest, the only way I've ever had eggplant was deep fried in strips like french fries. Our favorite pizza place serves it. Otherwise, I don't think I've ever had it in any other fashion.

You should be glad I even tried that. Food should not be purple.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I'd be willing to try eggplant lasagna, but it would have to be without riccotta cheese. My wife hates that and thus we get no lasagna in the house. Although her mom makes a mean velveeta lasagna.

You might be able to talk her into this one, SF. No riccotta - and it really IS the best lasagna I've yet tasted.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
If you're French or come from a country that can't think of it's own words. :D
Uhhh...remind me what language you're speaking again? (Sez the Englishman ;)).

Priene said:
That's an aubergine, right?
Yup, and the zucchini (that's an Italian word btw, Ferret :p) someone mentioned is a courgette.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, and the zucchini someone mentioned is a courgette.

Best not call it that around here, though. These North Americans are hypersensitive about fruit nomenclature.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I love you weirdos.

Meanwhile, I actually have two eggplants from my garden, and a broken oven, so I need to just use the stove. What do I do with them?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Eggplant Parmesan

*not the sliced deep fried sort...this comes out more like a casserole or noodle-less lasagne*

Eggplant Parmesan

Ingredients:

2 medium/large eggplants
1-1/2 cups Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (use the real thing)
1 large can tomato sauce
1 TBSP tomato paste
Olive oil
One small onion
Minced garlic
Basil to taste
Parsley to taste
Oregano to taste
a dash of red pepper flakes
1-1/2 cup breadcrumbs
6-8 slices of a really good, melty cheese. Any kind you like.
Salt

Directions:

Put 1 TBSP of olive oil in a saucepan on low heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir until it starts to brown a bit. Take off of the heat and add basil, parsley and oregano, and the red pepper flakes. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Add a small dash of salt.
Return to low heat.
Add about 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and stir it in. Once the cheese has melted, adjust seasonings to taste.
Once the sauce is to your liking, turn off the heat.

Put a big pot (with a lid) of water on to boil.
Slice the eggplant as thick or as thin as you like. (I like it sliced medium-thin.)
When the water boils, shut off the burner and remove the pot from the heat. Put your sliced eggplant in the water for five minutes. Remove the slices of eggplant and press the water out between sheets of paper towel or a kitchen towel.

Put a spoonful or two of the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.

Put a layer of eggplant on top, then add some sauce and a slice of cheese (torn up and spread over the layer), then sprinkle a bit of the Parmesan and the breadcrumbs over it.

Repeat until you run out of eggplant.

Put all the remaining sauce (if any) on the top layer of eggplant, a final slice or two of cheese, then the rest of the Parmesan cheese and another good sprinkling of breadcrumbs on the top.

Bake in the oven at 350F for about 40 minutes or so. Keep an eye on it, and when the liquid is bubbling and the cheese on top has browned a tiny bit, it's done.

Turn off the oven and let it set, if you like, or put it on top of the stove until the bubbling settles a bit.

Last edited:

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Ratatouille (borrowing from the French, seeing as we haven't made up our own word on this one) is a great seasonal vegetable stew. I don't measure.

Throw chunks of green peppers, eggplant/aubergine, zucchini/courgettes, and tomatoes (You can use canned stewed tomatoes if you want. Diced are good.), along with chopped onions and garlic into a pot with some basil, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Cook gently until it's all nice and soft. Make sure you sample it frequently ;) so you can adjust seasonings. If you like oregano, throw some in.

You can serve leftovers cold with a bit of lemon juice. Or just reheat it. Like all stews, it keeps getting better and better. You can serve it with crusty bread and cheese. Or brown some ground lamb and throw it in to make a complete meal.

Last edited:

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I made an eggplant lasagna with a light, white sauce with parmesan cheese in it. I layered the breaded and fried cutlets with mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, green peppers and onions. It was tasty!

The Italian place on the corner makes baked ziti with eggplant in it. It's great!

Last edited:

nicolen

Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right and straight on till morn
Yum, Ratatouille!

I've never made lasagne with eggplant before - will have to try that when the prices drop. One eggplant is currently NZ$5 at the supermarket, so they're not on the shopping list right now.

I love eggplant sliced and cooked on the barbecue/grill. If you throw some other veges on - mushrooms, tomatoes, capsicums, courgettes are good examples - and toss them together with some vinaigrette and crumble over some feta if you've got that, then you've got a fantastic salad. I guess you could do that on a George Foreman type grill thing if you've got one - I haven't.

Baba Ganoush - keep the eggplant whole, and bake or barbecue it till it starts to collapse. Scoop out the insides and throw it in the food processor/blender with some lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and tahini. Great dip for vegies, pita bread etc.

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Baba Ganoush - keep the eggplant whole, and bake or barbecue it till it starts to collapse. Scoop out the insides and throw it in the food processor/blender with some lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and tahini. Great dip for vegies, pita bread etc.

THANK YOU! I have an eggplant, although I'm not particularly fond of them. I, however, love baba ganoush but didn't think to make it.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I love you weirdos.

Meanwhile, I actually have two eggplants from my garden, and a broken oven, so I need to just use the stove. What do I do with them?

Peel, slice, salt, and then place them in a colander to sweat for about 45 minutes time. Dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with pepper.

Beat two eggs with a wee splash of milk. Dust the rounds with flour, dip in the egg mixture, and then coat them in Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) or regular bread crumbs. Fry in oil until they are golden brown.

Taste one to determine if it needs salt and then serve plain or with a drizzle of your favorite spaghetti sauce/gravy or with plain or seasoned mayonnaise.

A lot of people do. That bit over there <-- that says 'Dublin, Ireland' is location, not nationality. ;)
These days, we English are allowed into this country. :)

Now if we could just get you out of the six northern counties... *cough*

:D

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I've had eggplant parm. twice. The eggplant didn't seem to taste like anything. But I'd be willing to give it another try. Being vegetarian, it is easy for me to run out of recipe ideas.

SLThomas

Registered
Reaction score
I love aubergine parmigiana and ratatouille, but that's about it.

Babaganouj is a hit and miss, at some places it's delicious at others it's gross.