PDA

View Full Version : What to do with EGGPLANT

KTC
08-22-2008, 05:31 PM

illiterwrite
08-22-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't like eggplant. I used to put it in my veggie lasagna (there's a great recipe if you search the South Beach Diet recipe forum), but now I simply substitute with zucchini.

Sorry.

Shadow_Ferret
08-22-2008, 05:37 PM
To be honest, the only way I've ever had eggplant was deep fried in strips like french fries. Our favorite pizza place serves it. Otherwise, I don't think I've ever had it in any other fashion.

You should be glad I even tried that. Food should not be purple.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-22-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm interested in that eggplant lasagna recipe, Colonel. Like Ferret, I've only had it fried... and lasagna is definitely one of my faves.

Shadow_Ferret
08-22-2008, 05:42 PM
I'd be willing to try eggplant lasagna, but it would have to be without riccotta cheese. My wife hates that and thus we get no lasagna in the house. Although her mom makes a mean velveeta lasagna.

Priene
08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I had to do this. It's THE EGGPLANT THREAD

That's an aubergine, right?

Shadow_Ferret
08-22-2008, 05:48 PM
If you're French or come from a country that can't think of it's own words. :D

BenPanced
08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Eggplant parmesan is teh yum.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-22-2008, 06:05 PM
I'd be willing to try eggplant lasagna, but it would have to be without riccotta cheese. My wife hates that and thus we get no lasagna in the house. Although her mom makes a mean velveeta lasagna.

You might be able to talk her into this one (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/the_best_lasagn/), SF. No riccotta - and it really IS the best lasagna I've yet tasted.

JimmyB27
08-22-2008, 06:15 PM
If you're French or come from a country that can't think of it's own words. :D
Uhhh...remind me what language you're speaking again? (Sez the Englishman ;)).

Yup, and the zucchini (that's an Italian word btw, Ferret :p) someone mentioned is a courgette.

Shadow_Ferret
08-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Uhhh...remind me what language you're speaking again? (Sez the Englishman ;)).

I thought you were Irish.

Priene
08-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Yup, and the zucchini someone mentioned is a courgette.

Best not call it that around here, though. These North Americans are hypersensitive about fruit nomenclature.

Shadow_Ferret
08-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Don't forget Australia.

Priene
08-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Don't forget Australia.

You're hypersensitive about Australia as well?

JennaGlatzer
08-22-2008, 06:45 PM
I love you weirdos.

Meanwhile, I actually have two eggplants from my garden, and a broken oven, so I need to just use the stove. What do I do with them?

JimmyB27
08-22-2008, 06:49 PM
I thought you were Irish.
A lot of people do. That bit over there <-- that says 'Dublin, Ireland' is location, not nationality. ;)
These days, we English are allowed into this country. :)

jennontheisland
08-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Eggplant Parmesan

*not the sliced deep fried sort...this comes out more like a casserole or noodle-less lasagne*

Eggplant Parmesan

Ingredients:

2 medium/large eggplants
1-1/2 cups Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (use the real thing)
1 large can tomato sauce
1 TBSP tomato paste
Olive oil
One small onion
Minced garlic
Basil to taste
Parsley to taste
Oregano to taste
a dash of red pepper flakes
1-1/2 cup breadcrumbs
6-8 slices of a really good, melty cheese. Any kind you like.
Salt

Directions:

Put 1 TBSP of olive oil in a saucepan on low heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir until it starts to brown a bit. Take off of the heat and add basil, parsley and oregano, and the red pepper flakes. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Add a small dash of salt.
Return to low heat.
Add about 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and stir it in. Once the cheese has melted, adjust seasonings to taste.
Once the sauce is to your liking, turn off the heat.

Put a big pot (with a lid) of water on to boil.
Slice the eggplant as thick or as thin as you like. (I like it sliced medium-thin.)
When the water boils, shut off the burner and remove the pot from the heat. Put your sliced eggplant in the water for five minutes. Remove the slices of eggplant and press the water out between sheets of paper towel or a kitchen towel.

Put a spoonful or two of the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.

Put a layer of eggplant on top, then add some sauce and a slice of cheese (torn up and spread over the layer), then sprinkle a bit of the Parmesan and the breadcrumbs over it.

Repeat until you run out of eggplant.

Put all the remaining sauce (if any) on the top layer of eggplant, a final slice or two of cheese, then the rest of the Parmesan cheese and another good sprinkling of breadcrumbs on the top.

Bake in the oven at 350F for about 40 minutes or so. Keep an eye on it, and when the liquid is bubbling and the cheese on top has browned a tiny bit, it's done.

Turn off the oven and let it set, if you like, or put it on top of the stove until the bubbling settles a bit.

JimmyB27
08-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I love you weirdos.

Meanwhile, I actually have two eggplants from my garden, and a broken oven, so I need to just use the stove. What do I do with them?
Fry 'em.

Judg
08-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Ratatouille (borrowing from the French, seeing as we haven't made up our own word on this one) is a great seasonal vegetable stew. I don't measure.

Throw chunks of green peppers, eggplant/aubergine, zucchini/courgettes, and tomatoes (You can use canned stewed tomatoes if you want. Diced are good.), along with chopped onions and garlic into a pot with some basil, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Cook gently until it's all nice and soft. Make sure you sample it frequently ;) so you can adjust seasonings. If you like oregano, throw some in.

You can serve leftovers cold with a bit of lemon juice. Or just reheat it. Like all stews, it keeps getting better and better. You can serve it with crusty bread and cheese. Or brown some ground lamb and throw it in to make a complete meal.

C.bronco
08-22-2008, 08:39 PM
I made an eggplant lasagna with a light, white sauce with parmesan cheese in it. I layered the breaded and fried cutlets with mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, green peppers and onions. It was tasty!

The Italian place on the corner makes baked ziti with eggplant in it. It's great!

nicolen
08-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Yum, Ratatouille!

I've never made lasagne with eggplant before - will have to try that when the prices drop. One eggplant is currently NZ$5 at the supermarket, so they're not on the shopping list right now.

I love eggplant sliced and cooked on the barbecue/grill. If you throw some other veges on - mushrooms, tomatoes, capsicums, courgettes are good examples - and toss them together with some vinaigrette and crumble over some feta if you've got that, then you've got a fantastic salad. I guess you could do that on a George Foreman type grill thing if you've got one - I haven't.

Baba Ganoush - keep the eggplant whole, and bake or barbecue it till it starts to collapse. Scoop out the insides and throw it in the food processor/blender with some lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and tahini. Great dip for vegies, pita bread etc.

katiemac
08-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Baba Ganoush - keep the eggplant whole, and bake or barbecue it till it starts to collapse. Scoop out the insides and throw it in the food processor/blender with some lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and tahini. Great dip for vegies, pita bread etc.

THANK YOU! I have an eggplant, although I'm not particularly fond of them. I, however, love baba ganoush but didn't think to make it.

brianm
08-23-2008, 01:11 AM
I love you weirdos.

Peel, slice, salt, and then place them in a colander to sweat for about 45 minutes time. Dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with pepper.

Beat two eggs with a wee splash of milk. Dust the rounds with flour, dip in the egg mixture, and then coat them in Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) or regular bread crumbs. Fry in oil until they are golden brown.

Taste one to determine if it needs salt and then serve plain or with a drizzle of your favorite spaghetti sauce/gravy or with plain or seasoned mayonnaise.

A lot of people do. That bit over there <-- that says 'Dublin, Ireland' is location, not nationality. ;)
These days, we English are allowed into this country. :)

Now if we could just get you out of the six northern counties... *cough*

:D

JLCwrites
08-23-2008, 02:09 AM
I've had eggplant parm. twice. The eggplant didn't seem to taste like anything. But I'd be willing to give it another try. Being vegetarian, it is easy for me to run out of recipe ideas.

SLThomas
08-23-2008, 02:40 AM
I love aubergine parmigiana and ratatouille, but that's about it.

Babaganouj is a hit and miss, at some places it's delicious at others it's gross.

Stacia Kane
08-23-2008, 05:20 AM
I made this once for a dinner party, before I realized that I actually don't like lamb at all. So I didn't enjoy it, but my friends who like lamb did. I also made a vegetarian stuffing by cooking rice in water with a little lemon juice and adding shredded mint leaves.

8 small eggplants (you can use less, just lower the amt of lamb too)
1 lb. ground lamb
1 lemon
sm onion
fresh mint leaves

Cut a long slit in each eggplant, lengthwise. Scoop out some of the flesh.

In a skillet heat several tbsp olive oil. Cook the eggplants on both sides until the skin bubbles and turns dark. Set aside.

Dice the onion, brown it with the lamb. Drain. Mix in a handful or so of shredded mint leaves and squeeze half the lemon over it. Cook another minute or so in the skillet. Remove from heat, let cool for a few minutes.

Stuff the lamb mixture into the eggplants and bake, covered, in a 350 oven for twenty minutes or so. Take off the cover and cook five or ten minutes more.

Like I said, my guests liked it a lot. I just didn't (I learned I don't particularly like eggplant either ;) )

C.bronco
08-23-2008, 05:25 AM
That's sounds amazing. I'm going to try it!

jennifer75
08-23-2008, 05:41 AM
I had to do this. It's THE EGGPLANT THREAD. Eggplant is my favourite. My wife makes a wicked eggplant lasagna...she created it to combine two of my favourites---obviously EGGPLANT and LASAGNA. I'm going to have to get the recipe from her (Judg has asked me for it...but I thought others might like to try it too), but I thought others could share eggplant recipes here too.

I hate eggplant. I love to try and eat it, and reap the benefits of it, but I can't stand the soggy mess it usually turns into once cooked.

So...I tried it in a veggie tempura mix. LOVED IT.

LOVED IT.

Deelish. Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish. Fabulous. Loved it.

soleary
08-23-2008, 05:42 AM
What to do with an eggplant?

Put it in the ground, and hope for chickens! :) hee hee hee

Judg
08-23-2008, 06:02 AM
AACH. Courgettes! I forgot the zucchini in the ratatouille. I kept looking at that and thinking that I was missing something.

Boy, it's a good thing I speak French, or I'd never understand all these furiners with their aubergines and courgettes and such.

jennifer75
08-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaare to shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare your recipe?

oneblindmouse
09-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Mr Mouse makes the BEST ratatouille, so I'll get him to write his recipe down and then I'll post it.

threedogpeople
09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Slice 2 large eggplant length wise - about 1/4 inch thick. Salt & put in stainer. Let sit for at least half an hour to get some of the moisture out of the eggplant.

Skewer about a dozen jalapeno peppers (more if you love hot stuff), lightly coat with oil.

Mix 1 cup of unflavored yogurt with 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, salt to taste. You can also add some finely diced cucumber if you'd like. Put in fridge.

Heat your grill to medium hot.

Take the eggplant, lightly coat with olive oil. Season with finely minced rosemary. When the grill is ready, cook the eggplant until done, same thing with the jalapeno peppers. For those that like a little spice but not too much, seed the peppers before serving (wear gloves if your hands are sensitive).

Serve it all with the sauce. WOW! Hot, spicy, cooled down by the sauce.

One of our summer time favorites.

Judg
09-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Yum. Sounds wonderful.

blacbird
09-08-2008, 01:31 AM
The best thing to do with an eggplant is to admire it's beauty, the gleam of its skin, it's zen-like form, its symmetry.

And then throw it out, and go eat some cardboard.

caw

jennontheisland
09-16-2008, 08:29 PM
I put it on my pizza yesterday.

Leftover grilled eggplant (brush with oil, sprinkle with s, p, and basil, cook on the bbq), diced and on top of pesto, nestled among the mushrooms, artichokes, sundried tomatoes and olives, and topped with pearl boconcini.

Holy yum.

jennontheisland
09-16-2008, 08:32 PM
I made this once for a dinner party, before I realized that I actually don't like lamb at all.

Like I said, my guests liked it a lot. I just didn't (I learned I don't particularly like eggplant either ;) )

D, this one looks awesome! I promise not to make it if you ever come to dinner.

Joycecwilliams
09-16-2008, 08:39 PM
This is a great recipe however you need to salt the egglplant after it is peeled and let it sit for 10 mins before breading it...

Eggplant Rollatini

Main Ingredients
2 medium eggplants
Olive oil
Egg mixture
Bread crumbs

Preparing

Peel eggplant and cut length-wise. Dip into egg mixture and then into bread crumbs. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high and fry eggplant and set aside.

Filling Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds ricotta cheese
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated cheese
3 tablespoons parsley
2 tablespoons oregano
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Salt & black pepper to taste

Preparing

Mix all the above ingredients together until well blended. Fill the center of each fried eggplant and fold over each side of eggplant. Cover the bottom of a 9"x13" baking pan with tomato sauce and place the rollatnis in pan. Top eggplant with more tomato sauce and sprinkle with cheese and shredded mozzarella. Place in preheated 350 oven for 20 minutes.

Judg
09-16-2008, 10:46 PM
I put it on my pizza yesterday.

Leftover grilled eggplant (brush with oil, sprinkle with s, p, and basil, cook on the bbq), diced and on top of pesto, nestled among the mushrooms, artichokes, sundried tomatoes and olives, and topped with pearl boconcini.

Holy yum.
Jenn, I live in Eh-land too, and I am really hoping you live close enough to invite me over for your next pizza...

jennontheisland
09-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Jenn, I live in Eh-land too, and I am really hoping you live close enough to invite me over for your next pizza...

Much as I wish I was in your neck of the woods (next week RWA Ottawa and Apocalyptica playing the day after) alas, I am stuck pretty much right in the middle of the country.

If you're willing to make the 24 hour drive, you are more than welcome to join us for Pizza Day. ;)

Gravity
10-02-2008, 11:02 PM
What to do with EGGPLANT

It's quite simple, really. Holding it gently in both hands, take the eggplant outside. Place it on a fence post. Pull out a twenty-two pistol and whale away until the magazine is empty and the horrid mutant thing is unrecognizable as once having been a "food." Then go back inside, and grill up a steak. And that's what you do with eggplant.

mario_c
10-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Eggplant burgers: traditionally breaded or batter fried a la Parmigiana, but just fried on a griddle is good too. Stick it in a bun, it's lunch or a midnight snack. I got silly and tried to make eggplant frites, but they don't deep fry well. I'll try in the oven sometime.
On pizza is great. In a lasagna is great.

I like the ratatouille recipe, I want to try that!

jennifer75
10-07-2008, 03:11 AM
I hate eggplant. I love to try and eat it, and reap the benefits of it, but I can't stand the soggy mess it usually turns into once cooked.

So...I tried it in a veggie tempura mix. LOVED IT.

Am I the only one who quotes herself??? Well either way, I had my eggplant tempura again last night....... LOVED IT!

jennifer75
10-07-2008, 03:12 AM
Am I the only one who quotes herself??? Well either way, I had my eggplant tempura again last night....... LOVED IT!

In fact, I have half an eggplant left over, I may tempura up some more. Unless someone can give me an idea what to do with it.....ooooooh I know....spaghetti sauce! That's it!!!!!

Keyboard Hound
10-07-2008, 03:52 AM
A simple pretty good way to fix eggplant is to slice it, spray it with Pam, and lay it on the grill with other stuff.

jennifer75
10-07-2008, 09:42 PM
I battered and fried my slieced eggplant.....didn't love it. Way too squishy.

Gonna stick to my tempura. Will try grilling though, sounds yummy.

mario_c
10-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Beer battered and deep fried, on a sweet roll. Yes, eggplant frites prepared the same way. This is good with relish - it takes that bitter edge off.
Adding to tempura is good too (with broccoli, carrot chunks, and mushrooms).

MissKris
10-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Poor, poor maligned eggplant. I like it Greek style:

Cube (2inch cubes) one large eggplant and "floret" (you know, separate/cut the head)one head of cauliflower. Cut one or two yellow bell peppers into one inch strips. Toss the veggies with two tablespoons of olive oil, one teaspoon salt, one teaspoon dried oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Arrange the veggies in one layer on a cookie sheet and roast at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, or so, until fork tender. Top with feta and enjoy!

I suppose you could do something similar in a large, heavy, covered pot on the stove, but I've never tried it that way.

Sarita
10-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Has anyone else made Celina's Ratatouille? It is so amazingly good, that my toddler requests it at least once every two weeks. I'm not kidding. When I made it for him the second time (without him asking for it) has asked me "Are you makin me rat-tat-too-ee?"

No joke, it's that good. Linky (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2394858#post2394858). Okay, back to cleaning I go.