PDA

View Full Version : Family rant

Ageless Stranger
08-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Jesus Christ, no one like family to destroy your faith in humanity, eh? I just found out that my nan (who's suffering from Alzheimer's) is basically skint because my dad's brothers and sisters have used up all the money that my grand-dad left her. Now she's having to save half her money just to bury herself in a few years. Worst thing is, I can't even send her money (which is not easy to do in the first place, being a jobless slob as I am), because they'll just take that too. I am awash in anger and despair. Argh, I hates them.

Rant/over.

Anyone else had their faith destroyed lately? Misery demands company!

nerds
08-21-2008, 09:41 PM

Mine is being systematically dismantled on an hourly basis these days, every single day. Totally. Yes.

But then someone here, or my son, will do or say something which fits a small piece of it back in for a while. Overall faith in things? No, I'm hemorrhaging that.

Very sorry about your family and your nan, that's awful.

:Hug2:

Pagey's_Girl
08-21-2008, 09:53 PM
:Hug2:

I can't even begin to imagine how people can be so scummy. It makes me sick.

I can't remember if you said where you are, but here's a link (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/CaringForParents/HowFamiliesRipOffGrandma.aspx?page=2)that might give you a starting place to deal with those nasties.

ETA - Maybe give ocial services a call, too? Especially since she's sick, ther's got to be something someone can do. Of course, if it were up to me, stringing them up by their thumbs in public with signs around their necks saying "PARASITIC LOSER" would be a start...

qwerty
08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
I feel for you, ageless. and I feel for your nan. Families can bring distress - believe me, I know that. The very people who should be the ones you can rely on can let you down big time, but taking advantage of a sick parent is beyond cruelty.

Do you have any siblings who can help you deal with this? I don't mean financially, I mean who would understand why you care more for nan than her own children do.

Southern_girl29
08-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I recently had my faith destroyed. It's pretty gone, but I'm trying to see a ray of light in everything that has happened over the past six weeks. Maybe I'll find some kind of faith again.

And, I'm sorry you are going through that with your nan. That's horrible that people do that.

Deccydiva
08-21-2008, 11:50 PM
I've been in a very similar situation to two of you and completely sympathise. :Hug2:

maxmordon
08-21-2008, 11:55 PM
I know that feeling. My great-grandmother died last month and one of her children buried her on a common grave along two homeless people and took old her valuable stuff when she was alive and sold the rest on a garage sale

sassandgroove
08-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Jesus Christ, no one like family to destroy your faith in humanity, eh? I just found out that my nan (who's suffering from Alzheimer's) is basically skint because my dad's brothers and sisters have used up all the money that my grand-dad left her. Now she's having to save half her money just to bury herself in a few years. Worst thing is, I can't even send her money (which is not easy to do in the first place, being a jobless slob as I am), because they'll just take that too. I am awash in anger and despair. Argh, I hates them.

Rant/over.

Sorry. I don't really know what to offer. Can your Dad do anything?

Maybe you could save some on her behalf and let her know you are doing it that way so no one can take it, so she'll be able to know someone cares and is saving for her. And really, shouldn't her kids pay for her funeral anyway?

Who has power of attourney? Because if the person with POA isn't her, then they are not acting in her best interest, are they. Not that I don't what to do about that.

Sorry - Sass- an only child.

Ageless Stranger
08-22-2008, 03:36 AM
As far as I am aware, one of my Uncles is caring for her. It doesn't help that all of my Dad's side of the family is generally involved in crime or has been at some point. Thanks for all the replies guys. Very good idea about the saving sassandgroove, I'll see what I can do.

Ageless Stranger
08-22-2008, 03:39 AM
I know that feeling. My great-grandmother died last month and one of her children buried her on a common grave along two homeless people and took old her valuable stuff when she was alive and sold the rest on a garage sale

Damn man, the same thing happened to my grand-dad. He had so many nick-nacks and cool gadgets (he used to run an arcade decades ago and owned a few shops. He also had a huge habit of collected junk, which I always though was fricken awesome). And yet, when he died, all I ever heard was everyone moaning about how they had to get rid of all his stuff. Half of it was sold as far as I know, and the other half was dumped into a tip. I would have loved to have gotten to look through his old stuff and retrieved a few sentimental items. Alas, I was out of luck.

Beach Bunny
08-22-2008, 03:50 AM

Rant/over.

Yeah, my family totally sucks. I just recently gave up hope that things would get any better.

You might see about having the courts appoint someone as a legal guardian (or whatever it's called where you are) for your grandmother. The guardian would be able to stop your Aunts and Uncles from stealing any more from her. If your area has a government agency for elderly people, you could start by asking them how one goes about doing that. Since she has alzheimers, she should have someone looking out for her to protect her from the sharks and vultures that have been preying on her.

Judg
08-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Ageless, I'm sorry that this is happening to your grandmother and to you. On behalf of humanity, can I just plead that not everybody does things like this?

stormie
08-22-2008, 04:21 AM
I'm sorry that happened to your nan. All I can say is, What goes around, comes around. To emphasize this, my mother used to say: Look up. Now spit in the air.

MaryMumsy
08-22-2008, 04:32 AM
Don't know where you live, Ageless, but here in Arizona we have the office of Adult Protective Services. It is to protect elderly/incompetent against physical and financial abuse. I would imagine many states or countries would have something similar. If you can't find it easily in the governmental pages of the telephone directory, call the Child Protective Services (or its equivelent) and I'm sure they would know the answer.

MM