Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Author

Writing junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffegerton.com
I want to pass along a method of promotion for a novel that I've found to work very good, considering how inexpensive it is.

I had five hundred book markers printed up with my book cover on them, a short synopsis of the book, my e-mail and web site addy.

Since then, everyone I come into contact with, gets one or more book markers. I sent everyone I know 8 to 10 markers via snail mail and asked them to pass them out to their friends and co-workers. They were all glad to help.

Every time I go into restaurant, I hand out a few to the server(s). At Starbucks I leave 20-30 on the counter by the register, and they don't last long. Every time I go to the local library, I covertly leave a few by the check out machine. (When I asked about this, they said no, but my taxes support them.)

Whenever I send in a bill payment, a couple of book markers go to the electric company, or whatever. At my auto repair shop, they were happy for me to leave some on their counter.

At the mall, as I walk to the store, I leave some in windshield wipers. Inside the mall, every sales person I see gets a few and if they're not busy, they hear about the book.

At the saloon where I have lunch, I gave 50 to a waitress friend and asked her to pass them out. She went through 200 in a few days.

I've learned that people like getting free stuff even if it's something as trivial as a book marker. Also, they enjoy meeting authors and this gives you a chance to sell yourself, which will sell books.

I'm on my third print run of 500 and I can't pin down how many sales the markers have generated, but I do know a lot more people know about my book.

Good luck,

jeff

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Thanks Jeff!

I've been thinking about this myself.

Where do you get the printing done? A local printer, or something online? I'd been hoping vista print did bookmarks, but they don't seem to.

Desert Author

Writing junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffegerton.com
Susan,

I had my printing done locally. I'd used the printer before and I was concerned about the artwork in the final product. Now that I know what I need, I might look into online printers.

With the focused audience that your book has, these should work well for you.

I'm curious, what is the story behind your book? It sounds like something that has some history behind it.

Good luck,

jeff

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I went and printed up about 500 bookmarks to promote my book -handed them out like crazy. Conventions, seminars and at the few book signings I could arrange.

can't say I saw anything translate into sales.

can't say that *I* ever bought a book based on getting a bookmark.

if the buying audience can't find your book on the shelves of your local bookstore then they're not likely to order it based on a bookmark. That's why having a distributor is vitally important for you to succeed.

your mileage might vary, obviously...

Jeff - your website doesn't seem to want to load for me. You may want to check into that.

flashgordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bauuinstitute.com
Great idea, but I had not thought about getting my friends to distribute them. Also, many small indie bookstores will distribute them for you if you drop off a couple. Not the big chains that have their own, but the stores that don't have their own bookmark and are always looking for some to give away.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Hmmm, have you tried handing them out a libraries? Ask your local branch to carry your (donated) book then sweet talk the librarians for an author chat. :) While the point is, of course, to sell your book you're creating a brand that will be identified later by having this exposure.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I give out book marks too, and I've found it very helpful. I keep them in my pocket book and whenever anyone asks me anything about my book, I give them some. Also to students, anyone who sends me a note. Whatever. It creates a lot of good will.

Jackfishwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Wandering between Mexico and the Arctic Circle
Website
www.myspace.com
My publisher printed up book marks and sent them to me to disperse. Pretty nifty marketing tool - makes the book seem that much more legitimate.
I find that bookmarks serve another purpose as well; you can autograph them as an incentive for people to buy your book! (I mean, what author can carry around boxes of their books everywhere?)

Last edited:

doja

We've found bookmarks to be very helpful. One side of our bookmark includes a synopsis of the book while the other side lists the Web site, 800 order number, and other ways to purchase it.

I don't think a bookmark alone will make anyone purchase a book, but it serves as a very useful reminder of how/where to purchase the book. I believe that sometimes potential buyers have every intention of buying/ordering a book, but by the time they get home they've forgotten the exact title or how/where to order it, so they don't follow through. The bookmark eliminates that problem.

The printing cost is very modest as we get 6 bookmarks per page, but cutting the bookmarks costs a fair amount. Still we've found them so useful we're on our second printing of bookmarks.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
I just ordered some bookmarks through www.iPrint.com.
With a 30% off promo they are currently running (ends today, I think) it ends up being fairly reasonable, under $25, including shipping, for 100.

I eventually figured out how to modify their basic template, download an image of my cover. Not fancy, but I think they will do the job.

Not sure how much I will end up using them, but I have my first bookstore signing coming up on January 23. My book is supposed to be out this month. Just on the off chance it hasn't shipped by then, I figure I can pass out autographed bookmarks, plus free CDs for anyone who orders through the bookstore.

Not that I am getting nervous or anything :)

Blair

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
This is such a good idea! I'm sure your agents and editors are appreciative of your efforts to self promote!

Cudos to you all and I'll definitely remember this if my book gets published.

:)

C.F. Jackson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.WebsiteMakeoverWorkshop.com
Add an Offer!

Hey Jeff,

Great marketing and promotion stategy
using the book markers! One thing we as
authors must keep in mind... Always Be
Marketing!
:)

To help with gaging how they are doing
with sells... If it's okay, I'd like to offer a
suggestion. How about adding an offer on
the book markers?

Maybe a percentage off their order, shipping,
or even free shipping... With each printing of
your book markers add a new offer and you
can see which one moves people to buy.

Awesome idea without a doubt!

Continue to have a great week!

Won't Be Denied,
C.F. Jackson

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
Sounds like a GREAT idea... glad you're having fun with the promotion! I think I would enjoy doing the same thing for my books. :)

loudsavlon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eagray.co.uk
Totally agree. I got some in the post last week. Super dooper happy with them :)

If you need to print your own then check out RCS in the UK. Massive printers. I spent about £10k with them last year for my old job. Everything came out really well (and even better, it's online so you can get a quote and fiddle around with the gsm or general sizing very easily)

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
does anyone have any recommendations for a UK printer service?

Status
Not open for further replies.