PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Storm Fay...Just Go Away! Florida is Drowning

joyce
08-21-2008, 05:30 AM
I hope all my fellow Floridians are ok. Tropical Storm Fay has got to rate as the most stubborn tropical storm I've ever witnessed, and I've lived in this area of the east coast of Florida my whole life. This thing just won't go away! We've had over 30" of water in my area in 24 hrs. By tomorrow it's said we could recieve an additional 15". Roads and homes are flooded throughout probably 50% of the area. Then the crazy storm brought its tornado friend yesterday and wiped out at least 50 homes. It just keeps going and going. Now Fay is slowly moving north of me and looks to make a left turn and finish off the rest of the state. This thing will affect almost the whole state before it leaves. We've still got rain and wind and I'm beginning to think the thing will hover over us forever. I love it because the news people are warning people to stay out of the flooded water because there might be alligators in it. The gators were wandering through flooded neighborhoods yesterday. I love Florida, yep I do.:)

C.bronco
08-21-2008, 05:34 AM
I'm biting my nails thinking about those I know in different parts of the state. Best wishes, Joyce.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-21-2008, 05:56 AM
I've got a brother and three friends in separate areas of the state - not counting my AW peeps... Joyce, take care! Hope you get dry soon!

RLB
08-21-2008, 05:58 AM
My parents are in palm bay (where i grew up). I hadn't even noticed Faye until a couple of hours ago. Stay dry!

I do miss a good tropical storm though. We don't get rain like that up here.

ETA: I'll never forget the time after a heavy rain that an alligator went wandering through the halls of Palm Bay High. We had to stay in the classrooms until the game people could come and get it. People laugh when I tell them how we learned in school to run zig-zag away from alligators, the way other kids learned to jump under their desks for tornadoes...

Silver King
08-21-2008, 06:32 AM
...I do miss a good tropical storm though. We don't get rain like that up here...
I know you mean well, but there's no such thing as a "good" tropical storm. Think of water that falls from the sky unabated for hours, days even, and continues to accumulate and move upward past your thighs as you stand in the kitchen. The rest of your house is flooded also, and most of your belongings are underwater, lost forever.

In that context, a real one, how much do you "miss a good tropical storm?"

Susie
08-21-2008, 06:34 AM
Roses are red
Fay stay away
And hope you very soon
Have a dry day!

joycey, I feel for you and sure hope all that water goes to a place that needs it. You sure don't! (((((((HUGS))))))))

Jersey Chick
08-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Everyone in the path of Fay, sending good vibes that you stay safe and relatively dry. We don't get many tropical storms or hurricanes - just nor'easters (which can be just as bad) but they all suck.

Beach Bunny
08-21-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm up in Gainesville. I've been watching this storm mosy it's way toward me since last Saturday. Everything loose has been put away since Monday evening, because it was supposed to be up in my neck of the woods Tuesday night. *tap tap tap ... checks weather.com ... it's still stalled.* At this point I feel like screaming, "All right Fay, quit mucking around on the east coast, get your tail in gear and get on out of here." Jeez, the suspense is killing me.

Joyce, I've been watching the videos on weather.com and thinking about you. I think I saw our high school football field in the background of one of them. It was flooded. :(

But, you know, I lived in LA for six years and I would much rather deal with tropical storms and hurricanes than earthquakes. :scared:

benbradley
08-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Hey Fay, come on up to North Georgia! For a moment we were expecting you, but then your projected path took that funny left hook.

Come on up to the Peach State, we could sure use fifteen inches of rain north of Atlanta. Such an event would make Labor Day festivities on Lake Lanier much more enjoyable, not to mention just plain old possible.

Fenika
08-21-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm sending a kayak and dry clothes you're way. Keep an eye out for it- it;ll be the half sunk flooded mess going by at 2am...

:Hug2:

Lyra Jean
08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Oh yeah we were watching Fay here. Before it hooked over landfall was supposed to be directly on Anna Maria Island. That's less than five miles from my house.

Move to Bradenton hurricanes and tropical storms never seem to hit us here. Next year I'll be moving over onto the southeast coast, Boca Raton. I know hurricanes hit there so it'll be fun. ha ha.

RLB
08-21-2008, 08:50 AM
I know you mean well, but there's no such thing as a "good" tropical storm. Think of water that falls from the sky unabated for hours, days even, and continues to accumulate and move upward past your thighs as you stand in the kitchen. The rest of your house is flooded also, and most of your belongings are underwater, lost forever.

In that context, a real one, how much do you "miss a good tropical storm?"

Anytime people lose homes and belongings, it's incredibly tragic, and I'm praying for friends and family and everyone else in FL who are fighting rising waters. (My parents' neighborhood is flooding as I type this. My mom says the mailbox looks like an island in a lake. So far, the homes are ok, though that could change within the hour. And yeah, I'm thinking about everything I have in that house. All my pictures, my wedding dress, all the little odds and ends that parents save that I didn't think I'd need to collect anytime soon. Though all that's nothing compared to everything they stand to lose.) I certainly don't want to come across as flippant to anyone in this situation.

However, the tropical storms (and hurricanes) I've weathered growing up in FL weren't as damaging as Fay, or the scenario you've outlined. I lived on the east coast 15 years. Andrew missed us by a lot; we never dealt with anything that horrific. All our hurricanes were minor by comparison. We did have a few tropical storms though, and mostly they were just really great, huge storms that blew through (unlike fay who's just sitting) and didn't cause major damage but were spectacular to watch and feel. (I love Florida's wild and savage weather - though not when lives and homes are being lost.) Those are the tropical storms I was referring to. Big and blustery and hard and loud, but no long-term effects. Not anything devastating. So those I would call "good" tropical storms. And in that context, also a real one, I do miss them.

Seaclusion
08-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Stay dry Joyce. I hope that thing dissapates as quickly as possible

Richard

nerds
08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
I've been thinking of you, joyce, and Silver King, Susie, and all Floridians. Be well, be careful, and may Fay get a move on OUT of there.

:Hug2:

joyce
08-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. This thing is still going and going and going. I've never seen our area so flooded. My daughter can't even get out of her house, much less her neighborhood it's so flooded. I can't believe the grocery store where I work stayed open through all this crap. The light poles were falling in the parking lot hitting cars, the police came in and told the manager to close the store, but we still kept ringing up groceries. Corporate needs to make that almightly buck!

Yesterday I was the only cashier to show up to work and they called me in to be there at six a.m. For three days I couldn't believe the people coming in doing their weekly shopping. The wind was blowing at 65mph, the rain was swirling around and people were bringing infants into this mess to pick up cake mix and such. I had at least ten shopping carts with $200-$300 orders backed up at all times. People are nuts! I thought Floridians would be more prepared after the storms of 04', but I guess not. They weren't even buying storm supplies, but doing their weekly shops as the poles were crashing and crap was blowing around outside. Today I'm bad because I called in sick. I'm dedicated, but I refuse to be the only cashier out of 15 to again show up to work. I've held the front end single handedly for three days now and today the old woman is tired. I'm being bad and staying in while the rain and wind keeps on blowing and falling.

Fay go away!

Ken
08-21-2008, 04:01 PM
got me a dear friend in FL.
So away #%&@ Fay!

nerds
08-22-2008, 03:07 PM
*bump*

Is everybody o.k. down there ??? joyce? everyone?

Lyra Jean
08-22-2008, 06:14 PM
In Bradenton we received on and off rain drizzle. We didn't even get any wind.

nessam
08-22-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm in the panhandle or aka lower Alabama because Florida doesn't really claim us. But, so far really no wind or rain. We should see Fay by tomorrow night. Hopefully she stays over land and doesn't decide to hit the gulf before hitting us.

Good luck to everyone and try to stay dry.

joyce
08-23-2008, 12:29 AM
For the most part, Fay has left my area and is moving across the top portion of the state. We are now only getting a few sprinkles from the feeder bands. Today I saw the sun for the first time in a week. If she turned around and came back at us, I wouldn't be surprised. This is the strangest storm I've ever witnessed.

donroc
08-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Winter Haven is all right now. Much rain and wind for a while. No damage in our section.

Susie
08-23-2008, 12:44 AM
We can't complain really about the rain, but early last night the rain and winds arrived in full force and today too. Not so good... Many prayers to everyone who's affected by it.

joyce
08-23-2008, 12:54 AM
I hope Fay doesn't decide to hang around your areas for as long as she did mine. Brevard County is a mess! I think I heard there's something like 5000 people homeless due to being flooded out of their homes. Alligators were roaming the airport runway yesterday. I guess they wanted to get the heck out of the mess too.

Susie
08-23-2008, 02:12 AM
(((((((LOVE, HUGS & PRAYERS)))))))) to all of you. It's really scary and sure hope Fay can just go back into the ocean and not cause anymore trouble...

nerds
08-23-2008, 02:35 AM
Alligators were roaming the airport runway yesterday. I guess they wanted to get the heck out of the mess too.

Sounds like they're lookin' for a flight outta there. Hope they don't go shopping at WinnDixie first.

mscelina
08-23-2008, 02:42 AM
Best wishes, Floridians. Although it is entirely too close to football season for me to normally send warm thoughts down that way, that is one heck of a lot of rain down there. Feel free to send some of it--all of it--up here at your convenience.

After living in South Florida for a few years and going through Andrew, you all have my utmost sympathy. Tropical storms SUCK. When I lived in Key West, we went through a tidal storm during spring break that had us travelling in canoes on Duval Street.

...made it very easy to catch fish though.

Beach Bunny
08-23-2008, 03:03 AM
Here in Gainesville, I've gotten a lot of rain and some wind. It's still raining, but should be slacking off by tomorrow morning. I'm on high ground (relatively speaking) so I don't know how the rest of the city is fairing.

The power was out for over four hours. Nothing to do, but read a book. It was tough, but I managed. :D

joyce
08-23-2008, 04:22 AM
Sounds like they're lookin' for a flight outta there. Hope they don't go shopping at WinnDixie first.

The gators would be a welcome sight compared to all those stupid people I waited on. One guy found a gator in his garage. I really am thinking since these gators are hanging around modes of transportation, they want the hell out of Florida. As flooded as it was, they were probably looking for high ground just like all the people. It's great when the news is telling people to stay out of the standing water because it might contain snakes, gators, and fish. This really is one of the reasons I love Florida. We might have "hanging chads" and screw up the elections, but we also got those adorable reptiles with the big teeth. :D

stormie
08-23-2008, 05:00 AM
Oh, Joyce! I hope it dries out for you soon! (And everyone else affected by good ol' Fay.) My cousin is moving to Melbourne FL next week (lived in NJ his whole life). He loves it down there; he's stayed in that area for weeks at a time in the past.

joyce
08-23-2008, 05:12 AM
Oh, Joyce! I hope it dries out for you soon! (And everyone else affected by good ol' Fay.) My cousin is moving to Melbourne FL next week (lived in NJ his whole life). He loves it down there; he's stayed in that area for weeks at a time in the past.

The Melbourne area is still a great place to live. It's not that big with development but there are still places to go. I love it here. I live on a barrier island that's still pretty wild with nature. If I want to to go to a fast food rest. I've got to drive 15 miles. I hope your cousins likes it. Tell him if he's ever in the Winn Dixie on the Eau Gallie Causeway and checks out with a Joyce......well it's me.

nerds
08-23-2008, 05:12 AM
. . . but we also got those adorable reptiles with the big teeth. :D

from the Alligatorcroc adcouncil:

"People. It's what's for dinner."

joyce
08-23-2008, 05:14 AM

:roll:I can hear the music playing in the background.

Beach Bunny
08-23-2008, 06:01 AM

:ROFL: They like little dogs, too. I guess we don't have to worry about Haggis coming for a visit. :)

Lyra Jean
08-23-2008, 06:22 AM
In Myakka State Park there are two types of animals there at night. There are alligators and alligator food. So don't go swimming.

joyce
08-23-2008, 06:37 PM
In Myakka State Park there are two types of animals there at night. There are alligators and alligator food. So don't go swimming.

This is where I saw the most alligators living together in one big bunch, in my whole life! I would have a heart attack if I fell into the water there. My husband was launching his boat and had one roaming around him. I was scared to death when we pulled it out and I had to stand ankle deep in the water waiting for him.

benbradley
08-26-2008, 12:54 AM
As I said before, we sure can use this rain in North Georgia and the immediate surrounding parts of the Southeast, though I heard Atlanta (just off the lower edge of this pic) is under a flash flood watch. But it looks like it took the long way around to get here.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/yetanotherboardie/aug25_0434_us_cha_ultraradar_plus_u.jpg