How Do I Use This?

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
I sent off an e-query to an agent at a very well respected agency. It included the letter and the first five or so pages of the manuscript as requested on his website. He responded a few days later with:

Sorry, it’s not for me. You might want to try D.C. or A.Y. here at [our agency], however.

I mailed him back asking if this was a referral and he sent back a few moments later: "You may say I suggested you try them."

Now I have learned not to get very exicted about these things. But this 'no' is a little different than the usual 'no'. I like to think it means at the very least that he looked over my sample and thought that though it wasn't something he could get excited enough about, that the writing itself was at a level he wasn't embarrassed to recommend.

I was just wondering how I should used this tidbit which is so very much more than I usually get. Since I usually get zip, zero, nada. No reply at all. Nothing. Into the black hole. Across the event horizon. To world's end. Oblivion...

-MM

Last edited:

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
MelMan, this is a great referral. The agent undoubtedly means exactly what he says. He read it; it's not for him; it's good enough for him to suggest you send it to his colleagues. (Unless he hates them. Then it means something else.)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mel-Cheer up and congratulate yourself. This agent believes your work is what another agent is looking for. I doubt he would have either stake his repution and something he didn't think was good or referred you if he didn't think you had a good chance at being signed.

Your posts have been so down lately. Cheer up and enjoy a well earned well done. And good luck with the referal.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like a good thing. He took the time to send you in the right direction. I've not heard of this before. Good luck. This is neat. If you get one of the others to accept it, be sure to send him a 'thank you note'.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
What they said!

Give yourself a break. Live in the moment and feel the excitement of possible representation, or at least forward movement.

Time for disappointment later. But, if it happens, remember that your writing was good enough for this agent to recommend to a colleague. And take callalily's advice on the query. Short and sweet to lead into your own query, but getting the word out straight away that this is not a "cold" query, it has something more to recommend it.

This is a good thing! :)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Send out the query to one of them IMMEDIATELY! Just like Callalily said! Do it now!

I don't want to hear one more word out of you until it's sent.

Then you can have a cookie.