PDA

View Full Version : Tax Information

KansasWriter
08-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi folks,

A character in my story used to work for a tax bureau of some kind. His friend later goes to him to try and track down a missing person. Through the first character's old contacts at the tax bureau, they discover the missing person has been paying property tax on a piece of land outside town for several years.

So my questions are:

1. Would this be a city tax bureau? Or who would have this kind of information?

2. Because the property is out of town, would this make it a different branch of the tax office?

3. I'm assuming this is very illegal. What might be the penalty for getting caught at this. For that matter, how easy would it be to acquire this type of information if you worked at the bureau?

Thanks!
KW

RJK
08-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Most of the information you're describing is available to the public and is available over the internet. You just have to know where to look.

johnnysannie
08-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Sounds like the county tax collector's office.

In my experience, property taxes are paid to and collected by the county (at least in my state).

KansasWriter
08-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Most of the information you're describing is available to the public and is available over the internet. You just have to know where to look.

That could be what what of my characters says...perhaps accompanied by a saucy wink.

Thanks folks!

RJK
08-21-2008, 04:16 PM
You won't get an owner's name here (http://publicrecords.netronline.com/)but it's a good starting point.