Got "the call"...

SevenIsles

Registered
Reaction score
...can I ask for time to think it over?

An eminently worthy agent has offered me representation, but I'd like to give the other agents who have my ms a chance to counter-offer. Can I ask the first agent for a week to think it over before I accept his offer?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
Well done. Have the meeting...

Sophia

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not offering advice; it's more that I'm hoping others will. Should this be a case of politely informing the other agents that an offer has been received?

But then, if the one offering representation is "An eminently worthy agent", why would you not snatch his/her hand off? If by "counter-offer" you are hoping for a better deal, I'm not sure what that would be.

If I felt qualified to advise, I'd probably say: Go for the bird in the hand. But if it's a courtesy issue, I'm sure any reasonable agent would allow you time to study the contract and think it over before committing yourself.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You could also ask if it is OK to contact some of "eminently worthy agent's" clients to try to get a handle on what they are like to work with. Most agents will be OK with this.
You must certainly get in contact with anyone else who is considering your material to inform them that an offer has been made.
Don't take too long over the decision

Last edited:

SevenIsles

Registered
Reaction score
Qwerty:
I don't want to look pathetically eager. Maybe this is futile dissembling since EW Agent probably knows ALL writers are pathetically eager :D

Waylander:
I took your advice and have contacted the other agents to let them know an offer has been made. I asked EW Agent to let me have a few days to reflect.

Will update to let you know how it turns out!

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the offer!

Yes, I received a few offers and had several phone chats with agents. At the end of each I told them I would think it over and have an answer to them by a certain date. I agree it's not nice to keep them waiting, but you shouldn't feel pressured to make the decision right then, and a good agent won't pressure you. It's perfectly fine to ask for a week to think things over (and to let other agents considering the work know your status so that you can potentially receive other offers that you might want to consider).

Good luck.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
My agent at WMA has given my name as a reference and I have had several calls from potential clients- It's not at all a bad thing BUT there really is no advantage to having them all tumbling over each other to offer- is the one your top choice? As Andrew Zack has said enthusiasm is really important- the agency support is important- however commissions are industry standard - As brainstrains has said good agents won't pressure you. Talking on the phone gave me a good idea of the personality mesh which is important...

Kirby

Destined to serve and roam.
Registered
Reaction score
Just remember to ask a great deal of questions.

Danthia

This happened to me, and this is what I did.

I let the agent know that I had other agents currently reading the MS, and it was only professional to let them know I had an offer so they could either offer or pass. The offering agent was okay with this, and even expected it.

I contacted the other agents with my MS. I told them I had an offer, but I was still interested in their agency. I wanted to get back to the offering agent before too long, so was X date enough time to review the MS or did they need more time? I gave them two weeks, and they all seemed fine with that.

Then I waited. I thought up what I wanted to ask the agents if I got multiple offers, and I tried to narrow down my choices so I'd be better prepared. If it was between X and Y, who would I go with? kinda thing. Weighed the pros and cons. Oh, I also did this before I contacted the agents, because I had a few that I wouldn't have chosen over the offering agent (the offering agent was a better fit, though all were good agents), so it seemed silly to waste their time reading my MS if I knew I wouldn't go with them anyway.

I got two more offers. I spoke to each agent on the phone and asked my questions, heard their vision for my book, got a feel for them. Then I said I wanted to sleep on it, made my decision, and notified all the agents.

I ended up going with one of the other agents. I felt bad about turning the others down, especially first one, but this is a business decision so you have to do what's best for you and your career.

Congrats and best of luck!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Yes to what Danthia says. See, I made the mistake of jumping at the first agent who called me--twice--and offered representation. Oh, he was an up-and-coming-agent with a top agent. I knew all about the agency and him. But two others were looking at the full. I did notify those two, but told them I went with agent one. It ended up that almost two years later we parted amicably. It just wasn't a good fit for me at the beginning. I sensed it but pushed that nagging feeling aside.

SevenIsles

Registered
Reaction score
OK, here's an update. I asked EW Agent for two weeks to think it over. Meanwhile, I got in touch with all the other agents who had my fulls / partials. All of them have responded (one counter-offer, four rejections) except one... Superstar Agent... who still hasn't given me a decision!

That two-week window ended tonight.

Two days ago, I politely nudged SA and she said she'd get back to me "today or tomorrow." Well, it's BEEN today and tomorrow, and my inbox is still empty. What on earth shall I do?

Shall I tell SA that if I don't get her decision by the weekend, I'm going with one of the other agents, because it's just not fair to keep them waiting?

Or shall I just hang on until, say, Monday?

Should I contact EW Agent and beg for more time (methinks this would be a bad move)?

Should I contact SA and, without any ultimatums, nudge her once more?

HELP!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
JMO, but right now I'd be asking myself if I really wanted an agent who couldn't get back to me when she says she will, and is so dismissive of everyone's time. You want an agent who is enthusiastic about you and your work.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
The way I see it is that EW offered to rep you, but was good enough to give you two weeks to think it over. I gather that, in the meantime, SA hasn't yet got back to you when she said they would, and that SA is still deciding whether or not to offer to rep you.

If I've got that right, I'd go for the EW who has offered to rep you and sod the one who doesn't reply when they say they will. EW seems to have been patient, but will he/she remain so if you don't get back in the agreed period of time? I said before that I'd go for the bird in hand.

I suggest an email to SA - like now - saying you need to give EW a decision tomorrow. In the absence of a positive "I am offering to rep you" reply from SA by this evening, I'd call EW first thing tomorrow, say thanks for giving you time to consider and you'd be delighted to accept the offer of representation.

An offer is an offer. A maybe I will offer, but only when I have time, even though I know you're holding off another offer while awaiting my decision is a fairly insubstantial bird in the bush.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Another point is, have you seen terms of author agreement yet? You will be given time to consider those before making a commitment.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me that we're getting a hint of just how busy Superstar agent is. Do you think this will change if you sign with her? Or will she be similarly unresponsive to your e-mails when you are a client? She may have a good reputation for selling projects, but how is she going to be to work with in the longer term?
Just something to think about.

Danthia

I'd be leery of an agent who dosen't get back to you. Communication is key, and if they do this now, what will working with them be like? You don't want to have to hound them for every piece of information you get. My agent is awesome about gettinbg back to me quickly (so is my editor) and if I had to wait weeks to hear anything I'd go nuts.

Kirby

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. While I don't have an agent currently, I would go with the one that has met my deadlines.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
How about the one who gave you a counter-offer? Was that one interesting to you?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Superstar Agent might sound great on paper, but remember this: if s/he's got a stable of superstar authors you will be low on the list of priorities until you, too become a superstar.

SevenIsles

Registered
Reaction score
The end of the chapter & the beginning of the story

Thank you to all the above commenters! You really spoke with one voice on the topic of agents and deadlines / prompt communication. After much thought I decided that the communication factor is, after all, more important than Superstar levels of prestige. So here's what I did:

I emailed EW Agent and accepted her offer.

Then I emailed Superstar Agent and told her I was sorry but I had decided to go with another agent. THEN she got back to me (within 15 minutes) saying she wished me the best and hyperbolically praising my work... not sure if that means she would have offered, or wouldn't have offered, but anyway, I don't care anymore! EW Agent is EW, and I think we're going to get along fine.

Incidentally, lkp, the counter-offer didn't interest me... it was from an agent who'd been way down on my list. So that one got a thank you but no thank you, no hair-pulling involved.

Thank you again to everyone who's followed this chapter and given advice. Wishing fame and fortune to you all! Onwards and upwards...

Kirby

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I can't wait to read Chapter 2.