PDA

View Full Version : J-Lo is running a triathlon!!! Oh my!!

jennifer75
08-20-2008, 03:08 AM
Somebody needs to pop her bubble.....

Poor Jennifer Lopez. The new mom is training for a triathlon, but everyone is too busy watching the Olympics to notice.

Lopez, who appeared on "Good Morning America" Aug. 18 to discuss her preparations for the Malibu Triathlon, was overheard saying after the segment that she “couldn’t understand why everyone is talking about that swimmer,” according to a GMA source. “She couldn’t come up with (eight-time gold-medal winner Michael) Phelps’ name, and then she yammered on about how she was the one training for a triathlon just six months after giving birth, and how that was the big story right now, not ‘the swimmer.’ ”

KTC
08-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Oh good God...now I hate her even more. Maybe she should pull head from ass and come up for air.

kristie911
08-20-2008, 03:16 AM
The world centers around her...didn't you guys know that?

jennifer75
08-20-2008, 03:16 AM
her arse.

escritora
08-20-2008, 03:21 AM
Though it seems I'm the only one on AW, I just want to say I'm a Jennifer Lopez fan.

jennifer75
08-20-2008, 03:22 AM
Oh good God...now I hate her even more. Maybe she should pull head from ass and come up for air.

Well you know, childbirth is not easy.....and she did it twice, imagine! ;)

J-Lo, you're not the first woman to deliver twins and then head back into the world of responsibility and effort, work and children.

Congratulations, but please, shush.

jennifer75
08-20-2008, 03:22 AM
Though it seems I'm the only one on AW, I just want to say I'm a Jennifer Lopez fan.

A fan of what??? neener neener.

Deccydiva
08-20-2008, 03:26 AM
:roll: How true!

KTC
08-20-2008, 03:27 AM
J-Lo, you're not the first woman to deliver twins and then head back into the world of responsibility and effort, work and children.

Jesus, please us! Responsibility and effort?!?!?!? Work and children??!!?!?! Give your head a shake. She doesn't know these things. She shakes her booty and has the help look after the children. She's too busy paying people to get her into shape to worry about responsibility and effort.

KTC
08-20-2008, 03:27 AM

A fan of what?

JLCwrites
08-20-2008, 03:29 AM
A fan of what??? neener neener.

A fan of what?
:)

Devil Ledbetter
08-20-2008, 03:29 AM
Well you know, childbirth is not easy.....and she did it twice, imagine! ;)

Twice? She was numbed from the waist down, slit open and handed two kids. Healing from that is harder, sure, but the childbirth itself is a cakewalk compared to delivering naturally with no medication. Not that I'm saying she should have (that's up to her and her doctor) but I don't put it on the same level of "not easy" as unmedicated natural birth.

jennifer75
08-20-2008, 03:32 AM
Jesus, please us! Responsibility and effort?!?!?!? Work and children??!!?!?! Give your head a shake. She doesn't know these things. She shakes her booty and has the help look after the children. She's too busy paying people to get her into shape to worry about responsibility and effort.

Alright, I'll rephrase that..... lol. But, she does buy her babies ponies.

jennifer75
08-20-2008, 03:35 AM
Twice? She was numbed from the waist down, slit open and handed two kids. Healing from that is harder, sure, but the childbirth itself is a cakewalk compared to delivering naturally with no medication. Not that I'm saying she should have (that's up to her and her doctor) but I don't put it on the same level of "not easy" as unmedicated natural birth.

Shhhhh you're gonna get me in trouble for laughin'!

KTC
08-20-2008, 03:38 AM
Alright, I'll rephrase that..... lol. But, she does buy her babies ponies.

Not for nothin', but pony buying is treacherously exhausting. I sit corrected.

escritora
08-20-2008, 03:39 AM
I'm a fan of her overall (movies, music, and especially her entrepreneurial spirit). She is Puerto Rican as am I, and with that comes a cultural connection that may be hard for others to understand.

Though I wasn't present for the conversation she had with the ABC source after her segment, from the video I saw she gave Phelps props. And without any prompting, she said that swimmer is a difficult sport.

KTC
08-20-2008, 03:42 AM
Yeah...I'm not so much into picking heroes because I am culturally aligned with them. I don't care what culture people are, I choose my heroes for haughtier reasons than a matched cultural line. To each his/her own, though.

benbradley
08-20-2008, 03:47 AM
So I looked up the race:
http://www.nauticamalibutri.com/
and I wonder if she's doing the "classic" which is a "sprint-like" tri distance (1/2 mile swim, pretty long for a "sprint", 18 mile bilke and 4 mile run), or the Olympic distance (1km=0.9mile swim, 40k=25mile bike, 10k=6mile run). I've done about ten sprints and one Olympic distance, but my last sprint was in 2002. I really need to get back into training...

But none of this holds a candle to the professional female triathletes who do Ironman distance tri's (2 mile swim, 110 mile bike, 26 mile run) within a month or two after delivering a baby.

KTC
08-20-2008, 03:49 AM
But none of this holds a candle to the professional female triathletes who do Ironman distance tri's (2 mile swim, 110 mile bike, 26 mile run) within a month or two after delivering a baby.

Yes, but when J-Lo does something, it's re-invented. Who cares about those real women.

JLCwrites
08-20-2008, 03:51 AM
But none of this holds a candle to the professional female triathletes who do Ironman distance tri's (2 mile swim, 110 mile bike, 26 mile run) within a month or two after delivering a baby. OMG! That is a very long distance! I'm tired just reading that!

KTC
08-20-2008, 03:54 AM
OMG! That is a very long distance! I'm tired just reading that!

I did a 50K once. I was smart though. I did a K a day for 50 days. Didn't even break a sweat. I sh*t you not.

tiny
08-20-2008, 03:55 AM
How cruel. She might have said something idiotic, I don't know, but just because she's Jennifer Lopez doesn't mean that everything she does is negated. Kind of like just because she's Jennifer Lopez it doesn't mean everything she does is gold. I'm not understanding the sheer venom in this thread. I'm not a fan of her, but she's not some kind of monster who deserves hatred.

JLCwrites
08-20-2008, 03:58 AM
How cruel. She might have said something idiotic, I don't know, but just because she's Jennifer Lopez doesn't mean that everything she does is negated. Kind of like just because she's Jennifer Lopez it doesn't mean everything she does is gold. I'm not understanding the sheer venom in this thread. I'm not a fan of her, but she's not some kind of monster who deserves hatred.
Shhh... I was trying to derail it. ;)

JLCwrites
08-20-2008, 04:00 AM
I did a 50K once. I was smart though. I did a K a day for 50 days. Didn't even break a sweat. I sh*t you not. That would be fun. It is much harder with toddlers. :)

Cassiopeia
08-20-2008, 04:00 AM

You aren't the only one on AW that likes her. I do as well. :)

Cassiopeia
08-20-2008, 04:06 AM
Twice? She was numbed from the waist down, slit open and handed two kids. Healing from that is harder, sure, but the childbirth itself is a cakewalk compared to delivering naturally with no medication. Not that I'm saying she should have (that's up to her and her doctor) but I don't put it on the same level of "not easy" as unmedicated natural birth.Interesting that you should speak of C-Section this way. I had three of them.

FYI, having an epidural doesn't equate to being completely numb. You feel a great deal. I didn't envy my sister-in-laws their donuts to sit on but I did envy them their faster recovery time. It takes a minimum of six weeks to recover from the surgery and there's all kind of complications, such as the infection I got that put me at risk for oh, death and the fact that my stomach muscles are screwed from being pulled and stretched from here to china. And afterbirth is hell when your uterus has been sliced open.

I'm sorry Devil but the way you posted this, I'm just disappointed and offended. I wouldn't even begin to say I had it worse or easier than anyone else. But having major surgery to have a kid isn't a walk in the park...not by any stretch of the imagination. I had no choice. I couldn't deliver my three children without the help of a C-Section.

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 04:13 AM
I've had two c-sections - neither one was what I'd call "easy"

The first one? I was put under for an emergency c-section. Out cold. Missed everything - including my daughter's birth. She was nearly 6 hours old before I got to see her. It was two weeks before I could walk upright and without pain.

My son was a scheduled c. Getting a spinal block might not hurt, but it isn't exactly comfortable, either. No pain, maybe, but a LOT of pressure and feeling things that I knew would hurt, if it weren't for the block.

Recovery was quicker for the second, but since I was "slit open" - nerves were also cut. I'm numb from hip to hip from the navel down to about my hips. And most likely always will be. Don't be so quick to assume that a c section is easy. It's major abdominal surgery - ask any doctor. I was lucky, several people I know also ended up with infected incisions. Blech.

Cassiopeia
08-20-2008, 04:23 AM
I also have some surface nerve damage from the three incisions. I am lucky, I heal very well. My scars are very thin and in a place you just don't see them. For me the hardest part is feeling so sick from the medications they give you to "numb" you, (wish it really did numb a person) and I hated the feeling like I was on the edge of blacking out all the time.

I am also fortunate that I took the advice of the nurses on staff and got up within 12 hours and walked around. There were women who had C-sections the same day as me and they were screaming in agony by day three because they didn't get up. It's dangerous but I have my three kids. My first birth I labored for 15 hours and pushed for three of them. When my beautiful girl was finally born you could see the size of the hole on the top of her head from where she couldn't get through. Thank goodness their heads are soft at first. :)

WendyNYC
08-20-2008, 04:28 AM
I'm sorry Devil but the way you posted this, I'm just disappointed and offended. I wouldn't even begin to say I had it worse or easier than anyone else. But having major surgery to have a kid isn't a walk in the park...not by any stretch of the imagination. I had no choice. I couldn't deliver my three children without the help of a C-Section.

I'd say you had it a lot worse. My second came too fast for an epidural, so her birth was quick and PAINFUL. But I'd take that over a c-section any day. My recovery was easy.

Cassiopeia
08-20-2008, 04:35 AM
I'd say you had it a lot worse. My second came too fast for an epidural, so her birth was quick and PAINFUL. But I'd take that over a c-section any day. My recovery was easy.
I was so upset I couldn't deliver mine vaginally. My mom gave birth six times. She got pregnant, was not sick during the pregnancy and gave birth as she put it "as if they were on a slide". It hurt she said but really wasn't bad at all. I thought for sure I'd be that way too. Nope. She had a much wider birth canal and I had a malformed pelvis.

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 04:59 AM
My midwife screwed up my daughter's weight - she was off by two pounds. That's a lot when it comes to childbirth, apparently.

What pissed me off about the whole thing, that same dopey midwife actually said to me, "Don't feel guilty because you couldn't deliver vaginally," while I was in the recovery room! Had she said to me later (when I was much more coherent), I'd have told her that feeling guilty had never occured to me, until she suggested it.

Grrr....

Devil Ledbetter
08-20-2008, 05:21 AM
Interesting that you should speak of C-Section this way. I had three of them.

FYI, having an epidural doesn't equate to being completely numb. You feel a great deal. I didn't envy my sister-in-laws their donuts to sit on but I did envy them their faster recovery time. It takes a minimum of six weeks to recover from the surgery and there's all kind of complications, such as the infection I got that put me at risk for oh, death and the fact that my stomach muscles are screwed from being pulled and stretched from here to china. And afterbirth is hell when your uterus has been sliced open.

It was hardly an attack on c-sections, Cassie. I said it wasn't easy, I said it was harder to heal from and I said it was between her and her doctor. Now you "correct" me by telling me it's not easy, it's harder to heal from and is up the doctor? Wow, thanks, I feel so enlightened now.

How many qualifiers do I need in order to not be offensive to you?

Sorry, but I still don't consider a single c-section the equivalent of "giving birth twice" as it was described in the post I responded to. If that offends you, put me on ignore.

For the record, at no point did I call a c-section "easy."

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 05:34 AM
Twice? She was numbed from the waist down, slit open and handed two kids. Healing from that is harder, sure, but the childbirth itself is a cakewalk compared to delivering naturally with no medication.

bolding mine.

This suggests to me that you feel a c section is easier. I don't know how else this could really be interpreted. Maybe that's not how it was intended, but it certainly is easy to see where someone could think it was intended.

Shadow_Ferret
08-20-2008, 05:49 AM
I give J-Lo all the credit in the world. No way in H E double toothpicks would you ever get me to run a triathalon.

regdog
08-20-2008, 05:54 AM
PPhhhttt on Jennifer Lopez.:wag:

Devil Ledbetter
08-20-2008, 05:54 AM
bolding mine.

This suggests to me that you feel a c section is easier. I don't know how else this could really be interpreted. Maybe that's not how it was intended, but it certainly is easy to see where someone could think it was intended.Yeah, okay, cakewalk = poor word choice. Sorry to those I've offended. I can be an ass sometimes. And I can't always count on you all to call me on it.

As for J-lo, I actually think she's one of the pretty stars out there. Her features are perfect.

Devil Ledbetter
08-20-2008, 05:57 AM
I give J-Lo all the credit in the world. No way in H E double toothpicks would you ever get me to run a triathalon.Ed, my friend who has multiple myeloma (a blood cancer) just ran one last weekend. He's a real inspiration.

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 06:00 AM
Egads - these triathalon people are nuts - all of them.:D I run only when my life is in danger. ;)

Shadow_Ferret
08-20-2008, 06:02 AM
I had to give up running when I developed shin splints. I think it was because I was doing 12 miles a day.

regdog
08-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Egads - these triathalon people are nuts - all of them.:D I run only when my life is in danger. ;)

There's a really bad movie "The Faculty" and the football coach asks Elijah Wood's charcater why he doesn't play football and he answers the only time a person should run is when they're being chased.

Same as you Jersey Chick and me too

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 06:04 AM
See? You runner people are crazy.* We non-runner people don't get things like shin splints...

**disclaimer - I mean "crazy" in the most non-offensive way possible. I greatly admire those who can run great distances, swim great distances, and bike great distances. They are inspiration to us all**

Shadow_Ferret
08-20-2008, 06:06 AM
Addicted. The word is addicted.

Those endorphins are sweeeet!

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Mmm... I get those when I go to the gym... Guess my craziness is just on a different level.

KTC
08-20-2008, 06:15 AM

Holy. Really. Sheer venom. You have never seen venom from me. I don't care one way or the other...I'm just busting chops. Settle down...maybe a couple pills...a bottle of vodka. Oh, and Twinkies. They're good for occasions such as this too.

KTC
08-20-2008, 06:17 AM
That would be fun. It is much harder with toddlers. :)

Ummm. Not if you have velcro. It's like their not even there.

Shadow_Ferret
08-20-2008, 06:18 AM
You have never seen venom from me.I think I have. :tongue

KTC
08-20-2008, 06:22 AM
I think I have. :tongue

Prove it, Buster Brown. Sure...I'd throw her in a fire just to see her burn. But I'd also offer her a marshmallow.

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 06:39 AM
See? That proves it! How's she supposed to roast that marshmallow if you don't throw her a stick as well?

KTC
08-20-2008, 06:41 AM
See? That proves it! How's she supposed to roast that marshmallow if you don't throw her a stick as well?

Oh, I'll throw her a stick. A bloody flaming torch of a stick. Is that stick enough for ya?

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 06:42 AM
And you'll poke her eyes out. Nice.

Why do you hate so? It'll only age you ;)

KTC
08-20-2008, 06:44 AM
And you'll poke her eyes out. Nice.

Why do you hate so? It'll only age you ;)

I am the I am. I don't age. I am age.

The secret is butter.

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 06:45 AM
Butter... hm... who knew?!?

KTC
08-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Butter... hm... who knew?!?

Well. Me and Cloris Leachman for starters.

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 07:01 AM
Is she still alive? Yikes, I thought she was dead...

Donkey
08-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Can I just run the race behind her? Please? :Hail:

KTC
08-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Can I just run the race behind her? Please? :Hail:

Oh. It's on. Like Donkey Kong.

KTC
08-20-2008, 07:05 AM
Is she still alive? Yikes, I thought she was dead...

82 and kicking up a storm. Now there's a marathoner. Distance...it's all about distance.

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 07:09 AM
God love her. I honestly thought she was dead.

chevbrock
08-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Back to the subject...

I think what got my goat is that she has forgotten the unwritten law of all athletes, and that is the knowledge of what must be gone through to achieve the goals that must be achieved, and how this knowledge gives all athletes, no matter what their sport, a certain camaraderie.

Having said that... If that is her attitude, then that really pees me off. Sorry you got booked for GMA the morning that Mr Phelps (who I believe is now to be addressed as "Your Highness"?) broke a record that has been standing for, how many years? Sorry you got pregnant at the wrong time to be fit enough to compete in the olympics yourself and win yourself a gold medal, so people would talk more about you.

I'm not American, but even I felt some pride when I saw how happy and proud His Highness was when he finally got that record. I think that's saying something.

Cassiopeia
08-20-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm so confused. I guess I need to see more than a quote to understand how Ms. Lopez has done anything than set a goal for herself.

*goes off to count her toes*

regdog
08-20-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm so confused. I guess I need to see more than a quote to understand how Ms. Lopez has done anything than set a goal for herself.

*goes off to count her toes*

She hasn't but in her mind her goals are the most important things in everyone else's life. So I return to me original though of Ppphhht to
J-LOser:wag:

tiny
08-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Holy. Really. Sheer venom. You have never seen venom from me. I don't care one way or the other...I'm just busting chops. Settle down...maybe a couple pills...a bottle of vodka. Oh, and Twinkies. They're good for occasions such as this too.

Good, I'm glad to know that you have the ability to spout even more venom than just this for someone you do not know who has no impact on your life. Pills and vodka may be your choice when you need a little "settling down" and that's fine too, but to suggest that I need them is pretty ridiculous.

KTC
08-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Good, I'm glad to know that you have the ability to spout even more venom than just this for someone you do not know who has no impact on your life. Pills and vodka may be your choice when you need a little "settling down" and that's fine too, but to suggest that I need them is pretty ridiculous.

To take anything in this thread seriously is even more ridiculous.

Shadow_Ferret
08-20-2008, 06:42 PM
82 and kicking up a storm. Now there's a marathoner. Distance...it's all about distance.
And Ernest Borgnine is 91 and beating everyone hands down.

KTC
08-20-2008, 06:43 PM
And Ernest Borgnine is 91 and beating everyone hands down.

He is beating...yes.

tiny
08-20-2008, 06:44 PM
To take anything in this thread seriously is even more ridiculous.

Yes, say anything then claim it's just a joke. I love internet culture.

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 06:44 PM
That's a whole 'nother thread right there....

ETA - in response to the Ernest Borgnine stuff...

KTC
08-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Yes, say anything then claim it's just a joke. I love internet culture.

I'm not claiming it was a joke. It was a joke. But I really don't care. You can love whatever you want to love.

tiny
08-20-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm not claiming it was a joke. It was a joke. But I really don't care. You can love whatever you want to love.

Meh, I was clear in my first post, without claiming hatred.

KTC
08-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Meh, I was clear in my first post, without claiming hatred.

Are you for real???

Ignore. Click.

CaroGirl
08-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Who knew a thread like this would need to be in TIO?

Personally, on this issue, I come from the land of Whatevah.

BenPanced
08-20-2008, 07:26 PM
I dunno much about training for a triathalon, but I do know I like the costumes!

http://pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/pic/0003q1gf
http://pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/pic/0003pzfd

TerzaRima
08-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Lopez is probably doing a sprint triathlon, which is no small deal but not what everyone thinks of when they hear triathlon. Sprint is a half mile swim, 10.1 mile bike ride, and 3.1 mile run--not extraordinary if you exercise regularly. The swim, IMO, is the biggest deal.
/earnest

jennifer75
08-20-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't think anybody meant to downplay the strength and endurance it requires anybody to run this triathlon, or the strength and endurance it takes to recover from single, double or triple c-sections...

What bothers - actually it more annoys than bothers - me is that because she's Jennifer Lopez - the all famous, bootilicious, mother of two via c-section, million dollar maker aka entrepreneurial genius - she has the gall to try and pull the spot light off the 8 time Olympic Gold Winner and put it on herself, and then be overheard commenting just short of the fact that because she's who she is, she deserves more credit.

That is what this thread is about.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Folks... it's a celebrity. Part of her job is to be in the limelight and if that means she's gotta do something outrageous to steal it, she does something outrageous to steal it. If we're gonna get our knickers in a twist, let's do it over something or someone more important than a celebrity.

Oh... and remember that ol' rule of AW: Respect. Your. Fellow. Writer. Mm'kay? MmmmmKay! :D