PDA

View Full Version : Who can I trust?

SammyW
08-20-2008, 02:48 AM
As an aspiring writer, it's hard to tell the people who actually like your work from the crooks and cons out the scam you. And I'd like some help in knowing who I can (or can't) trust in this crazy business. :Huh:

Your advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

MissLadyRae
08-20-2008, 03:23 AM
Always do your homework beforehand. Just like when you're buying a product or a service you want to see what previous experience others have had before you. This forum is awesome for that because so many people share their experiences with a certain publisher or agent so you have a general idea of what to expect before dipping into the pool. Same thing with shared bad experiences with scam artists.

As for people who actually like your work, it can be hard at first to decipher true blue enthusiasm from the mere niceties of being brushed off and rejected. From my experience, I benefit a lot of my fellow writers (and some discerning readers) whom I know and trust to give me critical feedback to better my work. The business is filled with a lot of sharks so it's vital to have a nice network of authors to go to for venting (after those rejections), celebrating (after those acceptances and milestones) and most of all for support (for all the other stuff).

Either way, focus on telling the best story you can and never lose sight of your vision and goals for your writing.

Carmy
08-20-2008, 06:36 AM
AW is one of the best places to find out what others have to say about an agent or publisher. Run a search on one you find appealing. If there isn't a thread, ask the folks here. Someone is sure to know something good or bad.

Shadow_Ferret
08-20-2008, 06:43 AM
You can trust most of the people on this site. There are many published authors, soon-to-be-published authors, and struggling authors all willing to help.

Siddow
08-20-2008, 06:57 AM
Trust everyone except the doggish ferret.

No really, google is your friend, dear. Anyone you come across who seems enthusiastic about your work but you're just not sure of, google them! "Anxious Agent+warning" "AA+scam" "AA+whateveryourconcernis"

Go to Preditors and Editors (www.anotherealm.com/prededitors), use trustworthy sites like duotrope.com, agentquery.com, and always, always cross-reference through google with your biggest concerns.

Siddow
08-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Dang, I'm gonna be sent to hades for not mentioning AW, ain't I?

Yes, here is a great place to check.

C.bronco
08-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Try Preditors and Editors. Dave will give you the dish here: http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubagent.htm

Other than that, Scully and Mulder might fill in.

AC Crispin
08-20-2008, 08:27 AM
(clears throat politely)

Ahem...

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 08:30 AM
um... Writer Beware?

I think they might know a thing or two as well.

**slips back into the shadows**

Cassiopeia
08-20-2008, 08:57 AM
As an aspiring writer, it's hard to tell the people who actually like your work from the crooks and cons out the scam you. And I'd like some help in knowing who I can (or can't) trust in this crazy business. :Huh:

Your advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

"Trust no one." ~Mulder, FBI/xfiles

:)

JeanneTGC
08-20-2008, 09:28 AM
"Trust no one." ~Mulder, FBI/xfiles

:)
No, no. Trust ME. In fact, send me money and I'll show you what I can do to get your book published. Oh! It needs editing! No worries, send me MORE money and I'll edit it for you first. It'll be great! :D

Remember Yog's Law: Money flows TO the writer. If they ask you for money, for pretty much anything, don't trust them.

benbradley
08-20-2008, 09:32 AM
um... Writer Beware?

I think they might know a thing or two as well.

**slips back into the shadows**
Yeah, and that Ann whats-her-name with that writerbeware website, it seems like I've seen her name somewhere before...

Jersey Chick
08-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah... what are their names again over there? ;)

Saskatoonistan
08-20-2008, 05:23 PM
You can trust me because I'm Canadian and I write about a superhero who does battle with demons, werewolves and the undead. You can always trust a superhero. Also, trust everyone here but most importantly, trust yourself to do your homework and to find out about this crazy industry.

Maryn
08-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Batman is so hot we don't care.

Maryn, returning us to the actual thread

Siddow
08-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Oh yeah! Writer Beware!

Siddow, who only posted because she didn't want Maryn's post to kill the thread.

James D. Macdonald
08-21-2008, 03:05 PM
A worthwhile agent has sold books you've heard of.

A worthwhile publisher already has books physically on the shelf of the bookstore nearest you.

SammyW
08-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Thank you all. This has been very helpful :)

ideagirl
08-22-2008, 02:13 AM
In addition to the other advice (and I apologize if this point has already been made), here's a basic rule: do not trust "agents" who charge reading fees. They are universally scam artists.

Judg
08-22-2008, 02:33 AM
Go to misssnark.blogspot.com and read. Start with the oldest posts and work your way up. Take your time, there's two years' worth of stuff in there. But you will emerge pretty well scam-proof. And much better informed on how the industry works.

The other websites mentioned in this thread are excellent. (I would have said Writer Beware, Ann, but you got here first...)