Found out today one of my book's contributors has passed on.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
His name was Ben Rosen, and he was 95, and didn't look a day over 70, if you can believe that.

I met him in 2004 when I was researching my third book. I was looking for pictures of Cincinnati movie theaters and found a website that was hosting pictures that he took back in the 1910s and 1920s. I contacted him through the website and asked if I could use some of his photos in my book. He said yes, that was fine. All he wanted was photo credits, which I gave him.

They were previously unpublished and unseen photos.

He was a real estate and publicity photographer for most of his life and had tens of thousands of photo negatives. I was given a CD Rom of photos of theaters, most of which went into my book. Very sharp, clear, nicely-defined pictures.

I had a small party for the major contributors when the book came out in 2005, and he was there. He was a nice old man, very spry, did not look 93. And he enjoyed his copy of the book very much.

That was really the only time I saw him, but other people we know (other contributors in their 60s and 70s) befriended him as well and met with him socially on several occasions. They thanked me today for introducing him to them.

He's had heart problems and died peacefully this week, as I'm told.

I'm not really broken up about it (don't know if that's bad or not) since I didn't know him very well, but at least his memory is preserved in my book. :)

allen

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
It's horrible when someone you have known even slightly passes away however old they are, but I think I would feel glad to have met him and proud that his work will be immortalised in the book as well as his website and other media.
During the production of my book two dogs featured in photographs died and the owners both decided to let the book go ahead with the photos in, to celebrate their life. I see that as a positive thing.
RIP Mr Rosen.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
True immortality is when one living person remembers your name. Because you put his photos in your book, he will be remembered forever.

RIP Mr. Rosen.

MM

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Allen, you can do one last thing to repay the man's generosity. Write to his family and let them know you just learned he'd died and how much you appreciated his photographs, his cooperation, etc. Say what a nice guy he was, and that you're glad to have had the chance to know him.

They'll treasure a handwritten letter more than the nicest card you could buy.

Maryn, thinking you're lucky your lives intersected when they did