PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite, most practical cooking appliances?

Fraulein
08-19-2008, 10:59 PM
I just bought a mixer and a small George Foreman grill... well... actually... my mom bought them for me. :tongue

I used the George Foreman grill today to make a cheese quesadilla appetizer and a grilled burrito. They were good. :D

So what are your favorite cooking appliances and why?

RLB
08-19-2008, 11:09 PM
My food processor. It does quite a bit of prep work for me. Last night I used it to make basil pesto. Yum.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Gotta say my Kitchenaid stand mixer. I refused to pay $400 for a new one, so Ol' Boy tracked down a refurbished one on their website for $200. That was ten years ago and it's still goin' strong. I went out and bought some attachments: ice cream maker, pasta maker, meat grinder. Priceless!

Shadow_Ferret
08-19-2008, 11:53 PM
I like our George Foreman, although I think it needs to be a tad larger. Depending on the size of hamburger patties you can only make three at a time, which means someone in our family (me) has to eat last.

it's great for grilled cheese, even if it puts little dented rows in the bread.

I like our crockpot, too. It's great for rib-sticking winter meals.

JLCwrites
08-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Toaster Oven - Its like having a mini oven that doesn't heat up the kitchen. I use it more than a microwave. (It makes perfect toast too)
Blender - Makes great smoothies, mixed drinks, and I use it to make pestos and such.
Electric Griddle - Makes the best pancakes!

Bubastes
08-20-2008, 12:07 AM
My stick blender and my mini Cuisinart.

nicolen
08-20-2008, 12:09 AM
My slow cooker and my stick blender.

Alvah
08-20-2008, 12:43 AM
A can opener.

:)

Gravity
08-20-2008, 12:52 AM
What are these "cooking appliances" you speak of...? Your words are strange to me...

CACTUSWENDY
08-20-2008, 12:55 AM
My local fast food joint.

Sad, huh?

brianm
08-20-2008, 03:41 AM
Cuisinart Everyday 12 inch domed non-stick pan – The best pan I have ever owned and I do use it just about every day. I love this pan so much I bought a second one.

Rice cooker – The only time I don’t use the rice cooker is when I’m making a pilaf of some sort.

Ronco Rotisserie oven – Love this little oven and I use it at least once a week.

Disa
08-20-2008, 05:34 AM
Microwave.

What's a stick blender?

Unique
08-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Stainless steel pans and a bamboo spatula.

L M Ashton
08-20-2008, 05:17 PM
A stick blender is a blender on a stick. Also called a hand held blender or an immersion blender. Braun was the first company - that I'm aware of - that came out with them about 25 years ago or thereabouts.

My stick blender's at the top of my list, as is my rice cooker. Wish I had a toaster oven - really really wished it. Oh, my whir whir - the blender/grater/mincer thingie.

smoothseas
08-20-2008, 05:40 PM
all of the above!

oh, and I've formed an attachment to my microplane. what a handly little gadget.

TerzaRima
08-20-2008, 07:25 PM
My panini maker.

Claudia Gray
08-20-2008, 07:56 PM
I use both my dutch oven and my crockpot a lot. The crockpot is not the most nutritious way to cook veggies, but it is great for pot roasts, stews and chili The dutch oven is the only way to do soups, IMHO. Both are good for spaghetti sauce.

Kitrianna
08-20-2008, 11:20 PM
The crockpot and well, that's really it. The stick blender is great, but I don't use it or the rest all that often. But the crockpot...I have two and they're always in use.

Pomegranate
08-21-2008, 12:44 AM
I use my toaster, rice cooker, bread machine (although I only use the dough cycle), and blender/foodprocessor the most.

When the bread machine croaks I'm replacing it with a stand mixer.

Disa
08-21-2008, 01:24 AM
A stick blender is a blender on a stick. Also called a hand held blender or an immersion blender. Braun was the first company - that I'm aware of - that came out with them about 25 years ago or thereabouts.

Oh yeah, thanks for the info- I think I saw that on TV once. Can't imagine what I'd do with it but you know, I stay pretty far away from the kitchen.

Oh not an appliance but my Pizza cutter is the most used gadget. Mostly I use it to cut quesadillas.

rugcat
08-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Not exactly an appliance, but I couldn't live without my 8 qt enameled Le Creuset pot. I cook a lot of soups and stews.

I got it at a yard sale 10 years ago for $25.

shawkins
08-21-2008, 02:35 AM
I got a really, really good knife as a birthday present last year and it actually is worth $200.

brianm
08-21-2008, 03:15 AM
We refer to our stick blender as the boat motor in our house. :D

stormie
08-21-2008, 03:39 AM
I have a blender and a bread machine I use a lot. But the one favorite, most practical cooking appliance that I have found I can't do without:
~~~~Microwave~~~~
Over the years I've had some die untimely deaths. Thought--Hey, I can do without it! No problem. Uh-uh. Within three days I was at Sears, carrying out a new Microwave.

It saves a lot of time with the prep work on many dishes. Cook the potatoes for a potato salad. Melt chocolate for cake icing. Melt butter. Cook onions, peppers, and garlic in olive oil....

Kitrianna
08-22-2008, 01:27 AM
We refer to our stick blender as the boat motor in our house. :D

I think I spy another Emeril fan :)

Clair Dickson
08-22-2008, 04:20 AM
My toaster oven, microwave, foreman grill (ditto on the too small at time problem). I have a blender, but never got around to even opening. Got too used to just mixing the dough with a fork or spoon (then finishing the mixing by hand since gluten-free dough mixes poorly.)

SLThomas
08-22-2008, 11:13 PM
I really love my creuset stove/oven pot. The vegetables that I cooked in it for my couscous yesterday night were divine! Caramelized to perfection.

I don't know if it counts as a cooking appliance, but these days I'm in love with the expresso/capuccino machine I got as a gift last winter. I lost the owner's manual so I didn't use it for a while. Then last tuesday I tried to figure it out. The first time I used it I thought that the thing would explode in my face because it made so much steam! but then it was ok.

Now I don't think that I'll ever use my regular drip coffee-machine again (except for when I have guests). Nothing beats waking up and having an amazing, homemade double-espresso right away!Makes perfect coffee. It's a pretty simple machine actually, it doesn't have the bells and whistles that I've seen on so many espresso/capuccino machines. The other day at the store I saw some that were priced at $450 up to $2K!! I think that mine is worth $80.

I haven't got around to make a capuccino yet, but it'll come in time.