Got request with first Query

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm new here but will start using this resource. I wanted say that I sent out 1 query to an agent at Trident and got an immediate response. He asked for my proposal, it's non fiction, so I sent it along with my introduction and chapter synopsis. He emailed me saying he read it and wanted to talk. Of course I was cautiously optimistic. I talked to him and he basically said thanks, I'm a good writer, he likes the way it flows but it might be "a tough sale in today's tight non fiction market." He did give me some suggestions as to what smaller publishers might take it such as the Naval Institute Press, MBI, Presido and Osprey. All in all it was positive. The moment I got home from work I signed up at query tracker and send off a few more queries and mailed a proposal to Naval Institute Press.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a nice start, Jason. It's great to read about an agent who's not just decent but actually helpful while rejecting you.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Boomergirl

Registered
Reaction score
That's wonderful. Be very gratified that you got such a prompt and helpful response. Most people wait weeks and are grateful to get any response at all.

Isn't the Naval Institute Press the same publishing company that printed Tom Clancy's "The Hunt for Red October"?

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm writing military non fiction so Naval Institute Press is a good suggestion I believe.

kristi26

Registered
Reaction score
That's a great suggestion and a great response from an agent! And welcome to AW!

Kristi

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Jason! Did you have a question regarding a specific agent or publisher? Otherwise, I'll be porting this to Goals & Achievements, or the like.

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Jason! Did you have a question regarding a specific agent or publisher? Otherwise, I'll be porting this to Goals & Achievements, or the like.

No. Sorry about the confusion. I was just reporting something regarding Trident Media.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Naval Institute Press does a great job--very nice-looking books, and they've got a strong core audience. That's a great tip from the Trident agent!

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Naval Institute Press does a great job--very nice-looking books, and they've got a strong core audience. That's a great tip from the Trident agent!
Tom Clancy got his start with Naval Institute Press. The Hunt For Red October was from them.

Last edited:

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
Sent a query letter to Qsprey publishing yesterday and already got a request for my proposal and chapter synopsis. It's part of Midland House and was suggested to me by a Trident agent.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, you must have a dynamite proposal. Congratulations on such an auspicious beginning!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, and kudos both to you and to the helpful agent! Good luck with the NIP.