Status
Not open for further replies.

giraffe!

bear attacks moose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Okay, something extremely weird just happened. In the process of writing, and for no real reason, I got this urge to start crying.

I have been working on this short story for some weeks now. My process so far has been kind of excruciating. I've started with one idea, written, then deleted half of the story and started with something new. It was going nowhere. I felt sad.

Anyway, tonight I did the same thing--highlighted about half of my story and then, somewhat begrudgingly, pressed the 'backspace' button. It hurts. But I wrote a little bit and it felt okay. Then my character started 'coming to life.' And my story started to make a little sense. And everything sort of seemed to come together.

I don't know if it was because of the story but it was so weird. I honestly just got this overpowering urge to start crying, because i was really happy. And, listen, I'm not one to cry often. And I didn't but, I was fighting back tears. But I felt okay. It was really nice.

Thought I'd share. Ever weird things like this happen?

-g.!

Last edited:

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Fortunately, no. But I have nearly broken my desk when something finally "came to me" and I jumped up and flailed around like I'd just won the award for best hog squeal at the county fair. :D

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
The last line of my novel does it for me every time ;)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
No, but I do get the greatest feeling when any writing problem sorts itself out. I'm glad yours did.

Shamisen

Mother of Pog!
Registered
Reaction score
I get tearful when I have finished a novel - I can't bear to say goodbye to my characters!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't say that I've cried under similar circumstances, but I can understand why someone would. You've taken your hits, deleting vast amounts of your work, and now you've made a breakthrough. An emotional reaction seems normal, doesn't it?

Maryn, who has no emotions left except irritation

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I haven't had that exact thing happen to me (in part because I don't delete parts of my story!), but my writing has made me cry for various reasons. I don't find it weird, considering how important writing often is to the people who write it, and how much work we put into it. I think crying is perfectly warranted at times.

Congratulations on getting your story sorted out, I know how great that can feel. :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, if I write something that really pleases me, I've been known to cry. Tears of joy are a natural mode of expression to me -- I cry through the whole last hour of The Return of the King, it's all so lovely. The credits get me, too, with the Alan Lee sketches of the characters and Annie Lennox singing Into the West. Uh oh, I'm getting watery just thinking about it. :cry:

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, you're not strange. Or, at least no more than the rest of us are. :)

I've never cried, but I do get very emotional at times. The whole process of writing, with all its wacky ups and downs, will get to anybody who sticks with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.