Question for the married women.

What did you do?

• Took my husbands name because I wanted to.

Votes: 45 58.4%
  • Took my husbands name so he wouldn't pout about it.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Hyphenated our last names, of course!

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Kept my maiden name. I'm not about to give up my identity!

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • I'll take Orlando's last name when we get married.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Who cares as long as we serve eggplant at the reception.

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
No, I'm not planning on getting married but for some reason this is on my mind.

When you got married (or if you plan to get married), what did you do (will you do) with your last name?

Wait! There's a poll coming too! :)

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I wanted to take his name. Don't know why really. I guess I'm just a bit of a traditionalist. Now if I'd had an established career under my maiden name before he came along, I would've kept that. But as I was just plain old Mandy who hasn't made it big as a writer yet, I was happy to go with his.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I don't associate my identity with my last name, only my first. Maybe because I always figured I'd take my hubby's last name... something of a traditionalist in that way myself.

When I got married, I left behind the family home and the family name to start my own family (still holding at two members!) with hubby.

But I didn't take his first name. I am *NOT* Mrs. Ryan Dickson. I am Ms. Clair Dickson. (The Ms./Mrs. rant is for another time. ;-)

Deleted member 42

Err . . . what if you're married to a spouse of the same sex and it isn't male?

KC Sunshine

Registered
Reaction score
I felt too strange about giving up my name, and I don't understand why women should automatically have to take the man's name. How about a few men taking ours for a change?
I have to say though my husband wasn't too thrilled about it, and it's still a point of contention. We are four years into marriage and I said I would change it if he really wanted me too, and he said it was 'too late now.' Talk about sulky.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
I am no longer married, but I was once. So, I won't take your married women poll. But, I will answer your question.

I was not so attached to my father's surname for personal reasons. Thus, I was happy to leave the old and move to the new name. When I divorced, I kept the married last name as it does fit on checks and the like when I have to sign stuff rather nicely, in comparsion to the Polish moniker I had prior.

Christine

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't change my name for over a year after we got married, and then I only did it because we had a baby.

I also didn't add him to my checking account for three years, even though his paychecks were direct deposited there. :) It was my own mother who pointed out, "What if something happens to you? He can't get to his own money!" Ah, mother. Yet again, you foil my evil plans.

Second marriage, learned a lot from the first burn and did not enjoy the fight for my name. Or my money.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I took my husband's name when I got married. When I got divorced, I went back to my maiden name...there were a lot of reasons. I'm thinking if I were to get married again, I wouldn't want to change it yet again. Guess that's why I asked...sorry if I offended anyone with my poorly chosen title or question. I guess it wasn't very inclusive.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My friend Ming-Na took her husband's last name in her personal life but professionally, she kept her maiden name until it became a bit too confusing for her children, so she finally dropped the last name professionally. Most other friends took their husbands' last names.

A gay friend of mine combined his and his partner's last names (with a hyphen). Obviously their relationship isn't really "legal" but that's what they did.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not helpful. Happily unmarried, but I voted for taking Orlando's last name.

Last edited:

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I took my husband's last name, because at the time, I didn't feel very attached to mine. My parents weren't married to each other when I was born, so I took my mom's maiden name. I never really felt like it was mine, so I was happy to take my husband's name.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I took hubby's name because I wanted to.

I've heard of husbands taking their wives names. Paul Waaktaar from A-ha is now Paul Savoy.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I was all too happy to change my maiden name. I hated my maiden name from the time I was old enough to care about it until the day I got married. I still hate it. It amazes me that my SIL (brother's wife) took it willingly. She must've been high...

Of course, my husband's name often requires explanation as well (A lot of people think he's Asian and their heads almost essplode when I explain that the name's Irish, but he isn't. ;)) but I'll take it any day of the week...

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I took my hubby's name when we married, but 36 years ago that was the thing to do. I don't even know if they had it where a woman kept her maiden name. I would do the same thing today. :)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like Susie, I got married 36 years ago. It was the common practice to take the man's name. Today I would keep my maiden name. But I use my maiden name as my middle name.

MM

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not married but one of my sisters has been, 3 times. The first two, she took her husband's (husbands'? That's a question for the grammar area) last names, but for the third marriage she kept her second ex-husband's name. If that makes sense.

If I get married I don't know what I'll do. On the one hand, I'm not particularly fond of Mr Me's surname. On the other, it might be nice to stop getting, "K. K., huh? Hope your middle name's not Karen."

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, what a mess everything will be if everyone starts hyphenating. Just imagine six generations from now.

"Do you, Mark Peters-Cunningham-Matthews-Smith-Lopez-Chu take Lisa Slater-O'Donnell-Sledd-Yurt-Fletcher-Banks to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
When my partner said she cannot wait to bear my surname, I surprised her by saying I wanted our names hyphenated. She asked me why (a hint of disappointment in her voice). I told her there's a stigma attached to my surname, and I'm appropriating hers and combining it with mine to form a brand new name so that everyone knows which bloodline is mine. She still may bear my surname but the children must have hyphenated names.

Last edited:

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Geez, what a mess everything will be if everyone starts hyphenating. Just imagine six generations from now.

"Do you, Mark Peters-Cunningham-Matthews-Smith-Lopez-Chu take Lisa Slater-O'Donnell-Sledd-Yurt-Fletcher-Banks to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

You can't hyphenate more than two names. The father's surname is considered dominant.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I kept my maiden name for various reasons.
Not wanting to lose my identity was not one of them. The academic papers I already had published, those were part of it. The fact that "Shweta Smith" sounds really fake for publication purposes and "Shweta Narayan-Smith" sounds like a Lois McMaster Bujold character is another. Though on the Bujold track, changing our name to Naismith was a concept that amused us.

Anyhoo, I haven't noticed any link between maiden name and identity, so I voted for the eggplant :)

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I kept my name. I didn't want to have to explain to my patients that I was now Dr NewLastname, not Dr Rima, change my business cards, change the name on my license, etc. It surprises me a little that women still change their names as often as they do.