Reaction score
Website
annvevera.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you. Peace and tranquility is worth more than any job can provide.

Unfortunately, it doesn't pay as much.

Richard

Frodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annvevera.blogspot.com
I don't know if the link works very well, but you can also reach the article by using yahoo search and typing: telegraph uk + quit the rat race

sorry!

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
I've been there myself.

I worked as a systems administrator for several years. The only time people would notice me was when a server was down. It really beat down on me to have my only acknowledgment ever be negative.

I shifted to work on the other side, and now develop web applications. Seeing a well designed website, getting compliments from users, and seeing high sales numbers for selling our online product give me positive reinforcement each day. Even though I was great at being a sys admin, I couldn't go back to it. Ever. Not now when I know what a better work environment is like!

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Is that 35 years? The comma threw me.

Thirty five years of anything can begin to wear on a person, I'm sure. (Okay, I have, like no experience since I'm one uv them youngins') but I do believe that happiness is crucial in daily life. Hopefully you enjoyed what you were doing at least most that time.

And best wishes in finding something else that makes you happy. My hubby really likes having a job that doesn't come home with him-- ever. It doesn't pay a lot, but he enjoys where he works and at the end of the day, he's done. He punches out and does something else.

Consider what sort of work environment you want, is my advice. That and as I tell my students-- every job will have something that sucks. Some people don't realize this and once they find that sucky thing, they hop to a new job. (Obviously, you're not in that boat really, but it's something to keep in mind.) It's all a matter of what you can live with and what you can't. Good luck!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first lover was a teacher. His doctor gave him two options: die of complications from high blood pressure or quit.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
A friend of mine quit his teaching job. Best decision he'd ever made, he said. He now works in the film industry -- his first love.

I quit corporate a few years ago. Don't regret it. The money was nice, but life is more than that. I now do what I'd like to do (or at least work toward that goal) and I don't think I would go back to corporate any time soon (see my sig).

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you. Peace and tranquility is worth more than any job can provide.

Unfortunately, it doesn't pay as much.

Richard

When money is just paper - we'll have won the war. Do your part - invest in bonds. James Bond. ;)

I quit the rat race; I'm looking to quit it even further. Good luck to you.

Famous Uniqueism:
''You can always get more money, you can never get more time.''

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
In my senior year of high school, three or four teachers suffered a nervous breakdown in front of the classroom and I heard most of my teachers retired and this was their final year... you could noticed, actually. Since most of them either couldn't take it anymore or just didn't care...

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
I haven't checked out your site, but I am assuming you are a writer. How about an online editing job? Curriculum development? Even online grading for standarized tests.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score

Frodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annvevera.blogspot.com
I haven't checked out your site, but I am assuming you are a writer. How about an online editing job? Curriculum development? Even online grading for standarized tests.

I like to write, but I'm not very good, yet. I'm getting better with practice. But it's a sloooow process! I've read it takes ten years to write well enough to get published. I'm on year - 2, I think. :D
I don't know anything about editing. Plus, I do like being around other people.