Is Western genre a curse?

Alamodoc

I wrote a YA novel based in the 1890s in Texas. Of course the characters ride horses and indeed, they live on a ranch. With a few exceptions query letter responses suggest either the agents don't like the era or it's not their type of material. I've actually gotten several nice, non-form-letter responses suggesting the early chapters submitted are good, blah blah blah.

I'm thinking the fact I put the plot in this 'cowboy' age is making it commercially unattractive and recategorizing what was intended to be simply a young adult novel into the Western genre. If my theory is correct, I've got neither fish nor fowl: not Western literature in the pure sense because of the reader audience intended, and not a good YA book because kids want to read about themselves.

What are your thoughts on a rewrite, keeping the same location and story-line, but pushing the time frame up a hundred years, contemporizing the characters, etc.?

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Well, when I was a kid, I certainly enjoyed a few Western stories. Some were the sort of things that did involve cowboys or had American Indian protagonists. I'd also say "Little House on the Prarie" counts as a children's Western. I think this is a story children will be interested in.

Julie Anne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JulieAEason.com
Hey there,
I totally disagree that "kids want to read about themselves"...
Kids want to read about concepts that "could" be about themselves...in other words, they want to be able to relate to the issues, problems and conflicts of the main characters. But YA fantasy is going like gang-busters right now.

And wasn't it just a few years ago that the horror genre was declared dead...and now "everyone" is writing vampire books!

You never know when a genre will experience a revival. If you have a good book, then you have a good book...Don't give up! Keep submitting!

Good Luck,
Julie Anne

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:popcorn: Having a 13 year old grandaughter right now that is into the Harry Potter and like type material I would say that until it runs its' course that it may be hard to get young folks into anything that speaks of normal type stories. For some reason the supernatural and big climax type books have their hold on the young. Also a lot of the old ones too. Stories that invoke, even in the mind, the 'special effects' seem to have control right now.

Unless your cowboy story has an unexpected space ship, a blood thristy vampire, or something along that line you may have problems finding a publisher. IMO They are looking for what sells.

I agree that kids want to see themselves as the people in the book and I'm not sure that even 'Little House' would make it now.

You might send a letter to one of the regular 'Western' publishers and ask them their input on kids cowboy stories and see what they tell you. Short of that, I'm not sure what I would do. I do hope you keep us posted on your findings. It would be interesting to hear about.:Sun:

Alamodoc

These insights are useful. I hope to read more. In response to that which has already been stated:

I have had several kids of both sexes read this book. They uniformly like it. The problem is, of course, there are very few agents out there that are under 16. My impression is that mainstream YA lit is either Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings stuff or it's contemporary. That being said, agents are looking to make a commission not start a new trend.

This book actually has a quasi-supernatural component - a mystical stone knife that once belonged to a Indian chief. The knife happens to be in just the right place at the right time to help the protagonist work through various issues of adolescent inadequacies, etc. The problem is that I can't get this mystical stuff moved ahead to squeeze it into the first three chapters, which is all I can get any agent to look at (even if I slip in a synopsis!).

Finally, in my frustration I have now begun the revision of this book I mentioned, moving my characters ahead 100 years, creating more of a 'Last Picture Show' quality to their lives in west Texas. The read is still pretty good in the new setting, with about 125 pages done. But I am now so emotionally attached to my initial story line I'm losing objectivity.

And by the way, my last gasp of effort with the old version was to bypass agents and send queries to few publishers of regional literature. Trouble there again is that few are into young adult material. Still waiting to hear from them.

Last edited: