Ten Books That Screwed Up the World

tomber

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks to Book TV, I came across this little slice of propaganda posing as scholarship.

Here's the inside flap:

You've heard of "The Great Books?" These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual Behavior in the Human Male, these "influential" books have led to war, genocide, totalitarian oppression, family breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And yet these authors' bad ideas are still popular and pervasive--in fact, they might influence your own thinking without your realizing it. Here with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new book, 10 Books That Screwed Up the World (And 5 Others That Didn't Help), he seizes each of these evil books by its malignant heart and exposes it to the light of day.

First of all, its funny that he takes some of the most controversial figures in western thought (Nietzsche and Darwin are also on the list) and pretends like the world has swallowed them hook, line, and sinker, and Benjamin Wiker's come to save the day.

Second, he seems to be particularly annoyed by Enlightenment Rationalism. Again, ER has been debated before. Many times in many ways. Foucault, that homosexual atheist, for example, critiques the limits of rationalism, which I'm sure annoys the hell (hehe) out of Wiker.

Third, to stay true to the title, he never mentions any positives in the works mentioned. To say these works are flawed is one thing; to say they're evil is another.

One thing, I don't get is: why am I so annoyed? It's a book that preaches to the converted and won't be taken very seriously as good scholarship outside the circle of conservative Christians who will read it. Maybe its Wiker's beard.

Shar-Jan

Registered
Reaction score
We could all learn a lot from Machiavelli, I fail to see how that is an evil book. Maybe in its implications but it is pretty much the way international politics works, and always has done. Machiavelli didn't invent the methods he perscribes, he takes them from case studies (of some admittedly pretty shady characters).

Wait, the Communist manifesto is 'evil'? Maybe the people who put it into practice, but the book itself? All Marx did was sit in a library all day and hope the oppressed wouldn't be.

Suprised Lord of the Rings isn't in it, responsible for more wasted lives than Mao's Little Red Book.

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
Books are only dangerous when people take the knowledge within them and apply them in ways that they judge correct without thinking critically about their own interpretations and comparing them with those of others.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I think Kinsey's work and Marx's work are one of the most progressive and innovative works, and I so wish there ideas had been taken in hook line and sinker. Though attacking Marx doesn't surprise me and this guy is obviously a conservative, but Kinsey?

What kind of backward sexually repressed person is this guy? He just doesn't like the truth of people's varying sexuality being normal.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Wait, the Communist manifesto is 'evil'? Maybe the people who put it into practice, but the book itself? All Marx did was sit in a library all day and hope the oppressed wouldn't be.

Sorry, would like to dispell that myth. Marx didn't get his ideas from the library. He was involved in many working class/trade union struggles in Germany and that's how he came to his ideas.

I half take your point on the people who put it into practice. A lot of us got it right, but anyone who refers to anything Stalinist really screwed authentic Marxists up. I've had too many arguments to count about how people think I support the Soviet Union.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of backward sexually repressed person is this guy? He just doesn't like the truth of people's varying sexuality being normal.

The first book I thought of when I saw this thread title was Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus by Gray.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Books are only dangerous when people take the knowledge within them and apply them in ways that they judge correct without thinking critically about their own interpretations and comparing them with those of others.

That's true. The biggest examples of this are the religious books... anyway, can anyone post which are the 10 books and the other 5 that didn't help?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Thanks, Alley.

And, wow...just wow. At least this guy's an equal opportunity hater, he seems to have covered a nice sampling of philosophers along with Mein Kampf (I mean, really, isn't that like the "gimme" for Evil Writing Lists?) and the Feminine Mystique. The front and back flap information really says it all.

The bottom line seems to be that thinking and considering other viewpoints is bad and no one should ever do it.

Shar-Jan

Registered
Reaction score
I half take your point on the people who put it into practice. A lot of us got it right, but anyone who refers to anything Stalinist really screwed authentic Marxists up. I've had too many arguments to count about how people think I support the Soviet Union.

Stalin is as much of a Marxist as Osama Bin Laden is a Muslim.

Read: Not a Marxist at all.

Mein Kampf should be read by everyone, not least to show striving authors what not to do.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
The positive reviews are scary. What the devil is 'social comminatory?' And, "when I return to the college classroom I will use this very readable and easily understandable book as one of my required texts"? <shudder> All other thoughts aside, is it a good idea to give students a book that tells them not to read books? Since when did they need an excuse?

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
He seems pretty ignorant.

He decides that 'The Prince' " .. is a monument of wicked counsel, meant for rulers who had shed all moral and religious scruples ..."

But if you read the book for yourself you'll see it is pretty clear what this means :

"It cannot be called talent to slay fellow-citizens, to deceive friends, to be without faith, without mercy, without religion; such methods may gain empire, but not glory" - Direct quote from 'The Prince'

When Machiavelli talks about a ruler inflicting suffering on their subjects, he talks about how some rulers can get away with cruelty without being overthrown. He decides:
I believe that this follows from severities being badly or properly used. Those may be called properly used, if of evil it is lawful to speak well, that are applied at one blow and are necessary to one's security, and that are not persisted in afterwards unless they can be turned to the advantage of the subjects
This is hardly praising and glorifying cruelty !

Worst still, when a cardinal of the Christian church commits unimaginable cruelty, the writer uses this as a reason to criticise Machiavelli - who only wrote about the cruelty AFTER the event. If he wants to criticise a book, why doesn't he criticise the books that inspired and guided the Cardinal?

Mac

Last edited:

Shar-Jan

Registered
Reaction score
LEVIATHAN?

How on earth can anyone claim LEVIATHAN is a screw up? It gave birth to the ideas that gave birth to the idea of Liberal Democracy.

I am convinced this list is a joke. (ha, just saw the Discourse on Method, thats right, screw the scientific method, whats it ever done?)

I am honestly suprised the Qur'an isn't in there, I'd have thought the writers ilk would jump at some of the passages in that. Even speaking as a muslim, it's more worthy of the list than many in there.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Mein Kampf could have saved the world a lot of trouble, if fucking Neville Chamberlain had bothered to read it, or even paid someone else to read it.

If you are a government official, and the troublesome leader of a powerful neighboring country writes a book outlining his views and philosophy, READ IT!

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Mein Kampf is in my library, and everytime I need to get into the inner working of the mind of a maniac, i turn to my trusty Hitler and gleefully lift his character traits.

Books don't screw up the world. People who condemn books without reading them first are the ones who do that.