PDA

View Full Version : Waiting game...first non-fiction submission

ncgirl3608
08-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I submitted a non-fiction memoir to a literary magazine last night. I realize it can take weeks for an editor to approve or reject your story. This is my first time submitting something to a magazine so I am trying to have patience LOL. I had no idea that waiting on that email from the editor could be so nerve racking! I kept waking up last night thinking about it. The sad thing is I just sent it last night so could have weeks to hear something. Do they ever not respond? I can only imagine when I finish my novel and send it out, I may never sleep again!
Erin

Bubastes
08-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Weeks? Try months! Yeah, the wait can be nerve-wracking. I've found that the best cure is to start working on something else. Good luck!

ncgirl3608
08-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Months?? Nice. I am working on my novel so that will take up a lot of my time. Thanks!

aka eraser
08-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Hate to quibble but sooner or later you'll need to get the terminology correct. If it's non-fiction, it's not a short story. Short stories are fiction (as are novels, so referring to a fiction novel is redundant).

A short, non-fic piece might be an essay, vignette, memoir or narrative (narratives may also be fiction though) and probably a host of other terms that escape me at the moment, but it's not a short story.

Good luck with it and MeowGirl is quite right, keep busy and turn off your email alert. ;)

ncgirl3608
08-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the terminology AKA...see I am fairly new at this and learning! Appreciated! I corrected the terms so as not to be confusing.
Erin