Favourite non-major Olympic sports

SLThomas

Registered
Reaction score
So, now that the second week of the Beijing Olympic started what are the sports that you enjoy watching but aren't ratings bonanza ?

For my part I like watching the kayak races and archery. Maybe it's because I enjoy doing these two sports on my own?

I'm looking for those that like seeing badminton, weight-lifting or shooting...We all love watching swimming, diving, gymnastics and athletics but there are other disciplines there!

I watched part of a men's waterpolo match the other day between Serbia and Croatia and was amazed by the strenght needed for it. It gets pretty violent too at times! They have pro waterpolo leagues in some parts of Europe from what I've heard.

John Paton

carn the mighty hawks !!
Registered
Reaction score
the sporting capital of the world. Oh! That's Melb
I was pissed when tug of war was dropped from the olympic program.

Oh yeah - and rugby as well.

I'd like to see cricket make a comeback come to think of it.

The current sports ..... hmmmm ...... I like synchronised diving - such an artform of symmetry. BUT maybe it's just me !!

SLThomas

Registered
Reaction score
I find synchronized swimming creepy...The ghoulish make-up, the forced smiles, weird leg-kicks...Blech! Although if we get a medal in that I'll be happy.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I look out for the brief glimpses of sailing as I used to do a lot myself, and was Women's World Champion in the Solo class in 1990. Those were the days... *sigh*

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it was kayaking where the guy from Togo won his first country's medal ever. Pretty cool

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Curling is always a favorite among the Northerners.

Richard

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Did I miss the weightlifting? I like that. I saw some women's weightlifting the first day, but haven't seen any of the men's. And I only caught a little of saber. Missed foil and epee.

I'm hoping this week is filled with track and field.

*laces up his PF Fliers*

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I like fencing, kayaking, and water polo. Weightlifting is good, too. Beach volleyball is good, but I'm getting tired of it.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
They are showing an awful lot of beach vollyball, aren't they?

And my wife wants to know why the women are in bikinis but the guys are in standard vollyball uniforms.

I read about this. Apparently, the guys would rather be shirtless since that's the way they play at the beach. They get sweaty and sandy and having a shirt on feels gross. But the Olympic committee makes them wear the shirts. Maybe because it's easier to see team logos on TV?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is that the one where it looks like they are swiffering the ice? I like that sport.

I like that one. Go rock go!! Slide slide slide.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In 1904 they instituted the "All Around Dumbell Contest." It was discontinued after the 1904 games. Too many contestants?

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I caught "fencing" yesterday and was so interested! I couldn't catch on though, how one wins....just when I thought I'd seen the winning jab, he was actually the one losing. Were there targets they were supposed to hit??? Was super cool to watch. Damn Frenchies won.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
I caught "fencing" yesterday and was so interested! I couldn't catch on though, how one wins....just when I thought I'd seen the winning jab, he was actually the one losing. Were there targets they were supposed to hit??? Was super cool to watch. Damn Frenchies won.

My daughter fences. I'll generally explain the scoring. If there is a particular touch you question and you can identify it, I can have my daughter look at it for you. (We are going out of town for a few days so my answer would be delayed.)

All weapons and fencers are wired so that touches will show a colored light. Epee and foil are point weapons, so only touches by the tip will register. If the tip hits offtarget, a white light goes off and it doesn't count. For sabre, it is a touch if any part of the blade hits the target area (and there are no white lights unless your equipment is messed up). Touches that are essentially simultaneous will show two lights, but otherwise only the first one to hit shows a light.

Epee's target area is the entire body. So the only thing offtarget is the floor. Sabre's is the upper body, arms, or head (whatever is covered by the shiny lame or the mask). Foil's is the trunk.

For all three weapons, a fencer must be in front of or to the side of the other fencer. If you are behind the other fencer, a colored light might go off with a touch, but the point wouldn't be awarded.

Epee has no right of way rules. This means that all touches yield a point. If both colored lights go on, each fencer is awarded a point.

Sabre and foil have right of way rules. So when both colored lights go on, the director decides who was attacking. The rules for this are rather complicated. If who was attacking isn't clear, no point is awarded.

The final wrinkle is that a sabre fencer's legs cannot cross if s/he is moving forward. So any touch after doing that wouldn't count and would get a yellow card (first offense). Second and subsequent offenses get a red card, meaning the touch goes to the other person. My daughter actually won one bout without hitting the other person because he kept crossing his feet. This probably didn't happen in the bout you saw, though.

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Yngling. Fantastic name and won by three British lasses.