Rendezvous with Rama movie

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, I just found out about this: Its set for 2009 release time, and has Morgan Freeman signed up as Commander Will Norton.

Which.

Is.

AWESOME!

Seriously, I think Freeman can give Norton the same sever, cautious and generally focused personality. My only quip is that Norton, in the book, is 50 years old. But these are future years, where people easily live to 200...

But, what the hey, its not like Norton does much physical stuff. He's not like Kirk or anything.

But I'm still worried that they'll try to take the tone of Rama II...

Grr...Rama II irritates me to no end.

Either way, anyone else got any more information about this?

Anyone else even know what I'm talking about?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
What's the bet the Ramans end up as carnivore vampires and the climax is a last-stand shoot-out with blasters and a nuke?

-Derek

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up! I hadn't heard anything about this, but Morgan Freeman's usually great in everything he's in (even if the movie isn't). I remember really liking the book, but it's been so long since I read it that I'll have to read it again. Oh, goody, an excuse to go read something. :D

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
What's the bet the Ramans end up as carnivore vampires and the climax is a last-stand shoot-out with blasters and a nuke?

-Derek

Let me guess, you read & saw Starship Troopers....

:D

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, hey...Starship Troopers the movie and Starship Troopers the book are BOTH awesome, but in different ways.

And yes, I recently re-read Rama...the two things I had forgotten was Norton has two wives (natch) and that Hermian means you're from Mercury.

Huh.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Let me guess, you read & saw Starship Troopers....

:D
Point taken. :) Tho' more recently I saw what they ("Hollywood" - big studio filmmakers) did with I, Robot. My confidence in their ever remaining faithful to Sci-Fi classics took a severe hit with that turkey. Clarke isn't around any more to influence the project, and Kubrick isn't directing, so I expect the absolute worst possible adaptation. Pardon my cynicism.

...and that Hermian means you're from Mercury.
The dark side of Mercury. The guys on the sunward side are called "Crispies."

-Derek

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, we need C to balance out my O!

But, hey, if it sucks, I can at least read the book again and feel better.

Then microwave the DVD

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I hear you about the cynicism, dpaterso, and agree (thus the comment about Starship Troopers ;) ). It's frightening to see so many good stories get turned into mindless shoot-'em-ups.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Not that there's anything wrong with mindless shoot-'em-ups. Heck, that's what I write.

I've never tried microwaving a DVD before. I was always afraid the microwave might become possessed.

-Derek

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Rendezvous with Rama. Read it in University. Can sum it up in one word. BORING!!!! So i'm kinda hoping they do turn it into a shoot-em-up. :D

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Point taken. :) Tho' more recently I saw what they ("Hollywood" - big studio filmmakers) did with I, Robot.
Hang on, it wasn't an adaption of 'I, Robot' .. it was a spec script set in the 'I, Robot' universe.

The beauty of it was that it set up one of the major inane elements of the 'I, Robot' world .. that humans feared robots. In the original, it made no sense.

Now, the fear makes perfect sense.

Back to topic, though - there are some great scenes in 'Rama' .. I hope is made well.

Mac

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Rendezvous with Rama is one of my all-time faves. II and III, not so much. And the rest of the Rama books were so convoluted I couldn't finish them. But with Freeman as the MC, I have hope.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
My biggest problem with I, Robot is that its basically the basterdized, dumbed down, CRAPPY version of "Caves of Steel"

Remember caves of steel? A human is killed by a robot, or so it seems, and the detective who has to figure it out is assigned, due to some interior politickings by the robot happy government, a robot partner.

Now in the book, the detective hated robots cause they were taking jobs from humans. Right.

And guess what...

He and his new partner become best buddies. Sorta.

Now, in the movie it basically says "You know that one racist guy? Yeah, he was totally right."

I know they're just robots, but JEEZE! They should have kept the robot partner idea and had the end of the story be solving the mystery, NOT a bunch or robots killing everyone with the incredibly, and I do mean incredibly, flimsy excuse they use in the movie!

But enough about that.

Nevada: Boring!? BORING!?

Well, I suppose some people would find it boring...I personally found it enchanting. But that's just me.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Rendezvous with Rama. Read it in University. Can sum it up in one word. BORING!!!! So i'm kinda hoping they do turn it into a shoot-em-up. :D

Bite your tongue!!!

It's been about 14 years since I read it, but I remember that it was an awesome first contact kinda story that seemed very plausible.

I think if they turn it into the standard shoot-em up fair, it would be o.k. But I'd like for them to take a risk and be truer to the first contact aspect and alien culture of Rama.

I know, I know, an introspective sci-fi piece, how BORING! But I think if done right, it woudl be different that the normal cookie cutter shoot-em-ups.

Even though (if memory serves) the first Rama did have a sorta 'war' between us and some other aliens within Rama.

anyways,

I would love to see it on the big screen.

Mel...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The story goes like this

Detection of Rama
Arrival at Rama
Exploration of Rama
Biots (biological robots) start walking around inside Rama.
More Exploration of Rama
Mercury's government tries to blow up Rama
Truely awesome plan to thwart them happens
Last bit of Exploration of Rama
Then they leave and Rama spins around the sun, sucks up solar matter, becomes super energized and then zaps away.

Cut to scientist character waking up with a gasp and thinking "The ramans do everything in threes!"

I wish they had just left it there, instead of doing Rama II and Rama III

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
yeah it's that whole exploration thing that just went on and on and on and on and on and on and...... it's really really big. We get it already. I'm sorry but in the same class I read Neuromancer and R.U.R. [number] and Princess of Mars. And we watched Metropolis. Rendezvous with Rama just paled in comparison.

I like introspective sci fi movies. I loved Solaris. (yes with george clooney :p)