PDA

View Full Version : Mysteries: Still salable?

Pale Moon Rider
08-18-2008, 03:02 AM
Hello all,
I am an unpublished writer. I have been looking for an agent for a mystery I've written, and among the rejections I've received thus far, came one from Jodie Rhodes. She states that she doesn't represent mysteries any more because they're too hard to sell. She says it's nearly impossible to find a major publisher that will accept a mystery from an unknown author.

What better place to ask than here. Is she right?

Carmy
08-19-2008, 06:44 AM
All I can tell you is that I read mysteries by the dozen. They're being published, but maybe not through agents. Check your library or bookstore to see who's publishing them.

BTW, have you tried Bookends? They represent Rhys Bowen, and she writes mysteries. One of the gals who run Bookends was once an editor for a Rhys Bowen novel.

ORION
08-19-2008, 06:51 AM
um...I just checked publishers marketplace for deals and there's all sorts of debut mysteries that have been sold-

Maryn
08-19-2008, 04:58 PM
The mystery section at my local bookstore has a constantly changing stock. Sure, I recognize many of the authors' names--but not all of them. There are certainly mysteries being sold as first novels, and an agent who tells you differently is waving a large red flag.

Maryn, who knows a woman whose first novel is out--a mystery

IceCreamEmpress
08-19-2008, 09:25 PM
She's not at all right. Look at the blogs of agents who ARE selling mysteries by debut authors (Janet Reid (http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com), for instance), and the Publishers Marketplace listings for sales of mysteries by debut authors.

And then query those agents.

MKL1025
08-20-2008, 07:28 PM
I got the same thing from an agent who told me, during the query process, that women's fiction is "too hard to sell right now."

My women's fiction MS sold a few months later.

Don't sweat it--just keep querying!

triceretops
08-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Hmmm...I got the excuse from big name editor that Crichton-esque thrillers were too hard of a push right now. Okay, tell Cussler and Michael that. Pa...leeeze.

Tri

Enraptured
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
I doubt it's true that agents don't want mysteries. It seems like every third agent on AgentQuery is looking for mysteries.