Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
There's something very odd going on. At the end of each session on AW, I always log out, but when I go back in again, I keep finding that the system hasn't logged me off at all. I don't have to put my username and password in, to use the system. It says: "Welcome euclid".

This is not how things should be. When I log out, I expect the system to log me out.

Deleted member 42

Try purging your cookies. The log in data is stored in your cookie, on your computer, where your Web browser reads it. I suspect that your cookie may be corrupted.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
This is happening to me also, even though I get the message window saying all cookies deleted. I will manually delete and see what happens. Thanks!

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
When you log in, make sure to uncheck the 'remember me' box. Then the next time you come on it will not remember you and ask you to log in. You may have to do it twice to get it to not remember you.

Richard

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I had the same problem, even worse I was locked out of SYW and it wouldn't accept the stated password. With the help of dpaterso I cleared my cookies, then I found my sign on password wasn't accepted!
All sorted now - but I will stay logged in, it's far easier!

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Remember me

When you log in, make sure to uncheck the 'remember me' box. Then the next time you come on it will not remember you and ask you to log in. You may have to do it twice to get it to not remember you.

Richard

That did it for me. Remember me obviously means: keep me logged in all the time!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Good to know it worked. I suppose signing out is important for some members if there's the possibility someone else might use their computer while they're not at their desk, and could visit AW and post using their username. I'm the only one who ever uses my laptop so I don't ever sign out. As soon as I revisit AW I'm in as me.

-Derek

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I love not having to sign in each time I "x" out. BUT what I want to know is, when I "x" out, instead of logging out, does it still show me as Logged In (little green circle) to those still in the boards?

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I had the same problem, even worse I was locked out of SYW and it wouldn't accept the stated password. With the help of dpaterso I cleared my cookies, then I found my sign on password wasn't accepted!
All sorted now - but I will stay logged in, it's far easier!

Remember when you clear your cookies, you clear ALL OF YOUR COOKIES, so login's you have stored on other sites will be cleared also. I found that out the hard way, and didn't have some info written down for reference, and scrambled for ways to get back on to my sites. Durrrrr, I know.

Deleted member 42

You can choose to view or list or browse your cookies (the language used for the feature depends on the browser in question) and delete just the ones for Absolute Write, too.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I love not having to sign in each time I "x" out. BUT what I want to know is, when I "x" out, instead of logging out, does it still show me as Logged In (little green circle) to those still in the boards?
If you are not viewing the site, you are not shown as logged in. It is only the cookie stored on your computer that allows your presence to be known. Once you do not have a browser window displaying AW, you are as invisible to AW as it is to you. The process of viewing a site involves sending data both ways. Your browser tickles the server, the server asks if it has any cookies, takes a look and drops a fresh one in the cookie jar. All you see is the nice picture your browser makes out of a mass of code that the server...serves. :)

Rob Brown

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I was having the same problem and being very new to AW was concerned. All this information is very helpful.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
If you are not viewing the site, you are not shown as logged in. It is only the cookie stored on your computer that allows your presence to be known. Once you do not have a browser window displaying AW, you are as invisible to AW as it is to you. The process of viewing a site involves sending data both ways. Your browser tickles the server, the server asks if it has any cookies, takes a look and drops a fresh one in the cookie jar. All you see is the nice picture your browser makes out of a mass of code that the server...serves. :)

Fabulous...I'd hate to be looked at as a lurker.

Status
Not open for further replies.