Help me choose dinner...

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I have some venison I'd like to use, so instead of using the other meats I have, I'd like to stick with that one, but how to make it???

Let's see...I have plenty of veggies - onions, red potatoes, red pepper, garlic, green beans, a fresh tomato from my tomato plants, corn, avocado, and mushrooms.

I also have just about anything I'd need for a sauce: broth, milk, butter, sour cream, a couple different cheeses

Any ideas on how to turn this venison into dinner?

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
My sure-fire vennison recipe.

Chop veggies into 1 inch cubes
Chop vennison into 1 inch cubes
Put veggies in pot with 1/2 cup beef broth and simmer for twenty minutes
Throw vennison outside to the dogs and place 3 pound bottom round roast in pot with veggies.
Simmer for 1 1/2 hrs.
Serve to delighted guests. Added benefit: vennison keeps the dogs from bothering the guests at your table.

Richard

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
"Venison" covers a wide area. What do you have? A roast, loin, sausage, chopped steaks? I slow-cook a roast just like a beef roast. I like to blacken my loins. Well, not MY loins, but the deer loins. :)

It also is outstanding in chili. mmmm...Yeah! Do a chili!

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
While you're trying to work out what to cook, call the Rendezvous and order up a batch of ribs.

Not in Memphis? Not a problem they will fly them to you anywhere in the U.S.

Oohh…great eatin’

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Siddow - it's chopped steaks.
I chopped onion, some red pepper and some garlic. I put it inside the venison with some salt ,pepper, parsley and rosemary. wrapped them closed, put them in the oven.
In a skillet a sauteed onion, garlic, red potatoes and mushrooms in butter, added beef broth, simmered, then spooned over the venison in the oven.

It smells fantastic.

I'm boiling some ears of corn to go with it.

My husband hunts deer. I always end up with a lot of venison, and while I have a couple of standard dishes, I like to change it up. I just made this one up. I hope it doesn't suck.
I need some venison variety.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be right over!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
It. is. AWESOME!

:D

I got my wheels turning just by posting/listing what I had in the fridge to work with.

I used some of the extra broth and made a gravy. Heavenly.

And this could easily be adapted to chicken - using chicken broth and either boneless breast or thighs.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
If you love venison, then you wouldn't believe what I can do with the backstraps (those never last - they are the first things we cook after butchered). :D