Day Jobs, Writing Routines & Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
In the past I've had a hard time balancing a day job and a regular writing routine. I've been off work for a few months, gotten slightly more productive, but still struggle with finding a regular routine. But I'm going back to work in September and I wonder how I'm going to keep up the writing once I'm working 9-to-5 again.

A lot of people suggest getting up extra-early to spend 1-2 hours writing. But I have sleep problems and tend to feel exhausted even when I wake up at the last possible time, 15 minutes before I have to leave for work.

Do you end up sacrificing sleep to keep up a writing routine alongside your day job (or school or family responsibilities)? Any strategies for finding energy for writing, either in the early morning hours or after a long day at work?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
One thing that's worked for me over the years is writing during little slivers of time, even if it's only 10 minutes. Waiting in a long line, waiting for my oil to be changed, etc. are all opportunities to get some words down. Although my writing output is not as high as I would like, I have managed to write several articles and short stories this way.

Tachyon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tachyondecay.net
When I'm in a situation where I can't write but an idle moment comes upon me, I've taken to working through scenes in my head. I try to get a good idea of what I want to write down next time I'm able. I've found that this helps me spend more time actually writing and less time staring at the computer screen wondering how to phrase something.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't know how authors write and have a day job also. Its one of the reasons I waited so long to start. I can't do it piece meal and admire those that can. I have to lock myself away for days envisioning and writing the story. I will admit that I wish I had started earlier in my life, maybe setting aside a Sunday or Saturday, there was just so much I had going on with two jobs, two kids, and a wife. After having four novels published/accepted, I do envy those that started earlier in their life and learned how to work in increments, cause I could never do it. I tried several times and it always failed. I guess if you can get away from all the distractions and schedule several hours, and stick to it, it might work. Wish ya luck.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
no kids, but I work a 9 hour day + 2 hours commuting.

I get up at 6:30 Leave for work at 7. Generally get home by 6 or 7. Have dinner, spend time with the lady friend, by the time I tuck her in its 11:30 and I write until about 1. So on average I got 5 and a half hours of sleep.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Some people find excercise envirorating. Myself, if I'm just lounging in front of the TV/computer putting forth no energy, thought, etc, I'm far more prone to be sleepy and lazy. But if I get off my tailfeathers and DO something, (even if I do feel tired, out of energy, etc) I often find that I am renewed and no longer lethargic. Sometimes it's just doing the dishes, sometimes it's going on the treadmill.

I'll do this even after coming home after 8 hours unloading a grocery truck at my retail job-- I may be tried, sore, (bruised) and sweaty, but if I just laze about I find I don't do anything. If I get moving on something, I find energy I didn't realize I had-- both mental and physical energy.

Woodsie

I have tendencies.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.graceisforsinner.com
I work full time, have a husband and four kids. The most extreme writing moment I've had is this one: I put my kids to bed at 8 and by 8:30 I was at my computer trying to keep my fingers moving as fast as my brain. A few hours went by with no breaks. My husband usually reads my stuff to me right after I write it, but he had fallen asleep waiting for me. I figured it was around midnight when I got done. I started to print out the chapter and went to the kitchen to get something to drink. I glanced at the clock on the stove and couldn't believe it when it read 5:30. I went to sleep, got up three hours later and went to work.

I didn't do that every night. I didn't even mean to do it that night. I spent every waking moment writing, taking notes and researching. I was pretty single minded during that time and weird to be around. I'm gearing up to start my second book.

Has anyone noticed that resurfacing after completing a book feels odd? Real life moves at a completely different pace. I'm bored, I'm ready to go back into my cave.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people suggest getting up extra-early to spend 1-2 hours writing.

That would never work for me, either. I'm not a morning person and trying to write with a non-functioning brain is not productive.

I use my lunch hour to get in a solid hour's work each day. Since it's become a habit I've found that I'm immediately ready to go as soon as I sit down with my lunch -- no wasted time and the 60 minute limit really focuses me.

Any strategies for finding energy for writing, either in the early morning hours or after a long day at work?

I don't always manage to fit another writing session into my evenings, but when I do I've found that something physical like a brief walk helps boost my energy and a shower helps get the ideas flowing.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
I have a coffee machine with a timer - I set it up the night before so that when I do wake up, coffee's ready. I grab that and the laptop and go back to bed. It helps that it feels a bit as though I'm having a self-indulgent lie in. That way, I can write for an hour before work. It does mean I have to try and get to bed at a reasonable time, though. But I often get more done, knowing I've only got an hour, than I do faffing around in the evening when I have several hours available.

In the evenings, getting some exercise first does help - but then my day job is very sedentary.

I don't have to deal with family demanding my attention, though.

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
I too am a morning person, I write after the husband goes to work and before the kids come for the day (I do daycare) but I always carry a mini tape recorder in my purse, for when I get an idea and I don't have time to write it down. Later when I'm ready I just play back the idea and take it from there. That always works for me. But you have to keep writing everyday even if you only get a page done everyday.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
A lot of people suggest getting up extra-early to spend 1-2 hours writing. But I have sleep problems and tend to feel exhausted even when I wake up at the last possible time, 15 minutes before I have to leave for work.

Do you end up sacrificing sleep to keep up a writing routine alongside your day job (or school or family responsibilities)? Any strategies for finding energy for writing, either in the early morning hours or after a long day at work?
I'm personally in the camp of Do Not Sacrifice Your Health For _____. So, no, I would not advocate increasing your sleepiness, fatigue, exhaustion, etc.

Some people can write five minutes here, ten minutes there. It doesn't work for me - it takes me too long to get into the right frame of mind. But not everyone can find an hour or two in their day, every day - depends on the kind of life you have, the responsibilities, and so on. If you can even find fifteen minutes a day, use that. Grab an extra hour or four on weekends when you can. Grab even more on holidays. Do what you can. And find the most efficient way for you to do it. What else is there? :)

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'm personally in the camp of Do Not Sacrifice Your Health For _____. So, no, I would not advocate increasing your sleepiness, fatigue, exhaustion, etc.

BIG second. Been there, done that, won't do it again. Good health is the foundation for any kind of work. I could save tons of time by eating instant ramen instead of cooking healthy food, but I won't make that sacrifice either. Besides, I can always write while the soup simmers. :D

Last edited:

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of months ago, my wife feared I had sleep apnea (apparently I snore -- or so she claims), so I went to the doctor and did an in-home overnight monitoring and daytime sleepiness survey. He called me in for the results late last month.

First off, the monitoring was fine -- I don't have sleep apnea. But...

Doctor: I'm more concerned with the results of the daytime sleepiness overview. I think we should get you in for a formal sleep study.

Me: Okay. What seems to be the issue?

Doctor: Well, in the absence of sleep apnea, the fact that your daytime sleepiness is off the charts is a significant concern.

Me: So you're worried that I'm too sleepy during the day?

Doctor: It's something we should look at...

Me: Well I know why I'm sleepy during the day. I don't get enough sleep.

The look on his face as I chronicled a typical day was something to behold, slowly ticking over from bemusement to outright horror.

For the record, I get up at 3.15 every morning. I'm in the garrett by 4 am, and I work for 3 hours on fiction. Then back home to get ready for work. Work from 8-3.30 at the bookstore, then home by 4.15 or so. An hour nap, then evening with the family, along with reading, reviewing, tv, etc. In bed, usually, between 10 and 11.

Doctor: So you get 4 to 5 hours a night's sleep? How are you still alive?

Always a good question to be asked by your doctor. He went on to prescribe 2 nights a week, non-sequential, of minimum 9 hours sleep. Another two non-sequential days where I nap for at least three hours.

I haven't actually filled the prescription yet -- maybe when the book is done.

Or, as Warren Zevon once said, maybe I'll sleep when I'm dead.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Or, as Warren Zevon once said, maybe I'll sleep when I'm dead.
You don't sleep when you're dead; you're dead when you're dead.

I have not yet found a work/life balance that allows me to write since I began working full time five months ago. Of course, I don't have an agent or publisher clamouring for my latest novel. If I did, I'd quit this job yesterday.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
I function pretty welll on 6 hours +/- a night. However, whether or not I've gotten that 6 hours I'm up early enough to write for at least an hour each morning. My body and mind have adjusted accordingly, so that my most creative period is in the morning and I naturally wake up around the same time each day.

The next step for me is moving up (back?) my get out of bed time so I can put in more than an hour of writing.

Do it in steps. You'll get used to it. But above all else, I'm a firm believer that you need discipline and dedication to be successful.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Pithy. :D

You don't sleep when you're dead; you're dead when you're dead.

My solution was to lower my professional ambitions. Okay, fine, I actually suffocated my professional ambitions with a pillow and buried them in the back yard. Whatev. Basically, I took a job that pays me about half what I used to make, but that is only a fifteen minute walk from home. I sold the expensive house, bought a cheaper one. I economize in a hundred different ways, including buying only used clothing. Now I have a job that requires about four concentrated hours of work from me a day. Guess what I do with the other four hours a day... I love it and I wouldn't trade that writing time for any of the things I gave up to survive on my current salary.

Whenever I see something and think, "If only I had the money for that..." I remind myself that what I'm getting instead of money is time to write.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
You don't know that for sure. Maybe if he's slept better his body could have fended off the disease. Inadequate sleep causes stress, stress weakens the body's immune system.

Really? Lack of sleep isn't a good thing? It can have negative side effects? Hmm... thanks for letting me know!

As far as Zevon goes - sure, not getting enough sleep might have been a factor. But given the fact that it was a form of cancer most closely linked to exposure to asbestos, I'm guessing that too-little sleep is probably way, way down the chain of causation.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I get about 5-6 hours of sleep a night. About 3 of those are uninterrupted. Damn kids. My body has adjusted. I'm just chronically tired (and grumpy).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I assume most of you who work have weekends? That's when I do most of my writing. I don't follow the 'write every day' rule because it doesn't work for me. But I try and get a half day on every week--usually on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.