PDA

View Full Version : something is causing... RAINBOWS!!!

tiny
08-17-2008, 08:44 PM
OMG, it's a conspiracy! The government is putting something into our water. Something that's causing...... dum dum Duuuuum.......... RAINBOWS!!!

Yes, people are that stupid. (http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2008/08/04)

I though it was a joke at first, but listen to this woman. She really thinks that this is not a natural occurrence. She mentions we need to say what the hell and I agree. What the hell is in this woman's water??? :D

Seaclusion
08-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Another commie pinko plot to overthrow our country I'm sure.

What you say. The Soviet union collapsed over a decade ago. Can't be. They're trying to poison us.

Oh, hello. I'm back to reality now. Sorry for going away.

Richard

nerds
08-17-2008, 09:00 PM
We need to introduce her to our hero Ben, who both saves women and poops rainbows.

Xyrventalagn
08-17-2008, 09:15 PM
What a silly woman. It's common knowledge that without the government's Rainbow-Matter in our water supplies, the aliens would surely make another attempt at an invasion. Yet here she is trying to turn people against it--she must be one of them. Don thy tin caps! To war!

~X.

regdog
08-17-2008, 09:38 PM
What!?!?! Wait?!?!? Rainbows aren't a big government conspiracy?!?!?!
:e2thud::e2smack:

alleycat
08-17-2008, 09:57 PM
During WWII the Japanese tried to put rainbows all along the west coast. Then when everyone was looking up they were going to attack. It would have worked but they couldn't get enough leprechauns to go along with the plan.

maestrowork
08-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I hate rainbows. I wish they would just die.

KTC
08-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Jesus Christ on a taco, but some people are so goddamn stupid it hurts. Jesus.

Oberon
08-18-2008, 12:41 AM
It's all that foreign oil seeping into our water supply. Dilute with a healthy dose of Jack Daniels,pour into your tank, and away you go! No! Did I say gas tank, stupid?

Bartholomew
08-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Uneducated does not equal stupid. Thank you.

KTC
08-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Uneducated does not equal stupid. Thank you.

I agree. As that lovable moron once said, "Stupid is as stupid does".

joyce
08-18-2008, 01:54 AM
She used "big" words such as visible spectrum. I don't know, maybe if I start drinking what she's drinking, I might say to hell with rainbows too.

KTC
08-18-2008, 01:55 AM
She used "big" words such as visible spectrum. I don't know, maybe if I start drinking what she's drinking, I might say to hell with rainbows too.

The thing is, she was probably drinking rainbows.

JoeEkaitis
08-18-2008, 01:57 AM
It's unicorn pee.

NeuroFizz
08-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Next, she's going to tell us that the pot of gold thing is just urban legend. Sheesh.

Ben, who both saves women and poops rainbows.
And may he never get them reversed.

NOTE added in edit: After watching the video again, all I can say is...
phucking physics

akiwiguy
08-18-2008, 03:00 AM
I notice there are sirens in the background. Hopefully they remembered to pack the straight-jackets.

benbradley
08-18-2008, 03:01 AM
I recall seeing a rainbow in the spray from a hose perhaps 35 or 40 years ago. This has been going on much longer than this woman could have suspected!

They'll sell those video cameras to to ANYONE, won't they?

I hate rainbows. I wish they would just die.
I'll kill all the rainbows if you kill all the kittens.

Siddow
08-18-2008, 03:17 AM
I'll kill all the rainbows if you kill all the kittens.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:KxX0rkSgjckX0M:http://www.bengalspot.com/temptation/SweetTrnbowOP.jpg

Here ya go. Get em all in one fell swoop.

BenPanced
08-18-2008, 03:49 AM
We need to introduce her to our hero Ben, who both saves women and poops rainbows.
i liek choklit meelk!

Silver King
08-18-2008, 03:59 AM
You can also find rainbows in unlikely places.

I was fishing with my son when he was about five. He said, "Dad, there's a rainbow following the boat."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"That's nice."

As we idled further, he said, "The rainbow's getting bigger!"

I turned to look and realized the motor was leaking fuel. The water was otherwise pristine except for a slick that started behind the boat in a narrow band that spread outward as far as I could see. Within the slick, wavering bands of rainbow colors appeared.

I switched off the motor and found the culprit, a break in the fuel line. As I fixed the problem, my boy said, "That is so cool. A big beautiful rainbow on the ocean!"

KTC
08-18-2008, 04:00 AM
I hope you cleaned up your mess, Misterman!

Don't make me go all rainbow on yo ass.

Silver King
08-18-2008, 04:17 AM
I hope you cleaned up your mess, Misterman!
You know I did, and it took almost a whole roll of paper towels to sop it all up.

(I kid, but it broke my heart to foul up that stretch of water. I still can't understand why the motor didn't konk out and kept running while all that gas was released. Fuel injection, maybe? I don't know...)

joyce
08-18-2008, 04:35 AM
You know I did, and it took almost a whole roll of paper towels to sop it all up.

(I kid, but it broke my heart to foul up that stretch of water. I still can't understand why the motor didn't konk out and kept running while all that gas was released. Fuel injection, maybe? I don't know...)

You were carrying the Power of the Rainbow. May the force be with you.:D

Unique
08-18-2008, 05:02 AM
tiny -
I'm sorry. I was aiming for the field down the block ... and ... sometimes those things just land where they want to land. Science gone awry. Give my regards to old Libby - when they let her out. :e2shrug:

C.bronco
08-18-2008, 05:10 AM
That video was precious! LOL!

My sprinkler also makes rainbows. Coincidence? I think not!

joyce
08-18-2008, 05:30 AM
The sad thing is, we all probably know or have known somebody that would say something just like this. I once knew this girl who would make statements that would just leave me silently stunned.

Seaclusion
08-18-2008, 05:32 AM
Just one person Joyce. I think I meet ten or twelve of these people every day. I must be hanging out in the wrong gin mills.

Richard

tiny
08-18-2008, 05:41 AM
I think she's lucky. Think of all the wonderment in store for her. Rainbows in the sprinklers is only the tip of the iceberg. The northern lights should give her fits.

alleycat
08-18-2008, 05:46 AM
I think she's lucky. Think of all the wonderment in store for her. Rainbows in the sprinklers is only the tip of the iceberg. The northern lights should give her fits.
Not to mention fireflies. Or . . . are they fireflies? They could be tiny aliens in little bitty spaceships.

joyce
08-18-2008, 05:47 AM
How about disco balls..........

alleycat
08-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Christmas trees!

Shadow_Ferret
08-18-2008, 06:26 AM
What the hell is going on?!?!

The reason you never saw rainbows 20 years ago is because we all knew you shouldn't water the lawn when the sun is out. It burns the lawn.

Judg
08-18-2008, 06:43 AM
Well, sure, we've all seen those lawns with burn holes in them. :ROFL:

tiny
08-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Not to mention fireflies. Or . . . are they fireflies? They could be tiny aliens in little bitty spaceships.

Government probes. I suggest you keep your pants on when strolling on those summer nights.

Shadow_Ferret
08-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Well, sure, we've all seen those lawns with burn holes in them. :ROFL:See? Nobody understands when you should water your grass any more.

When you do water, water as early in the day as possible, usually when the grass and plants are already wet with dew. Watering later in the day when the sun is higher and temps are up can lead to evaporation of the water. Mid-day watering also leaves water droplets on the plants, which become small magnifying glasses that allow the sun's ray to burn or scorch the plants. That leads to a brown, scruffy looking lawn in spite of adequate watering. You can water later in the afternoon or early evening, but late night watering can lead to problems with disease since the water sits on the lawn longer.

Joe270
08-18-2008, 09:14 AM
maybe if I start drinking what she's drinking, I might say to hell with rainbows too

Yep, she has that indignant tone so common in those who have pickled their brains with chronic alcoholism.

nerds
08-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Well, sure, we've all seen those lawns with burn holes in them.

aliens.

regdog
08-18-2008, 03:08 PM
During WWII the Japanese tried to put rainbows all along the west coast. Then when everyone was looking up they were going to attack. It would have worked but they couldn't get enough leprechauns to go along with the plan.

*(&^%$#^* leprechauns just can't trust them.

rhymegirl
08-18-2008, 04:16 PM

:roll: That's great!

Pagey's_Girl
08-18-2008, 04:26 PM
What the hell is going on?!?!

The reason you never saw rainbows 20 years ago is because we all knew you shouldn't water the lawn when the sun is out. It burns the lawn.

So that's where crop circles come from!

sheadakota
08-18-2008, 05:07 PM
WAIT!........What do you mean there were no rainbows twenty years ago? What the was i looking at then? Someone stop the madness!!!!

Judg
08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
See? Nobody understands when you should water your grass any more.
The evaporation part is absolutely true. Using a sprinkler in full sun means that you pay for a lot of water that just evaporates.

The droplet as magnifying glass thing is sheer nonsense; one of those myths (like 8 cups of water a day) that sounds good and has therefore made the rounds.

If you've ever used a magnifying glass to burn paper, you will recall that it has to be suspended above the paper to focus the sun's rays in the right spot. It also has to be convex on both sides. A droplet is essentially a half magnifying glass glued to the leaf. It's incapable of focusing the light to a pinprick.

Most credible gardening magazines and other expert sources will cheerfully debunk this one for you. Or you can do the experiment. Water a patch of grass at midday and check later for burn holes. You won't find any.

Seaclusion
08-18-2008, 05:22 PM
The droplet as magnifying glass thing is sheer nonsense; one of those myths (like 8 cups of water a day) that sounds good and has therefore made the rounds.

If you've ever used a magnifying glass to burn paper, you will recall that it has to be suspended above the paper to focus the sun's rays in the right spot. It also has to be convex on both sides. A droplet is essentially a half magnifying glass glued to the leaf. It's incapable of focusing the light to a pinprick.

Most credible gardening magazines and other expert sources will cheerfully debunk this one for you. Or you can do the experiment. Water a patch of grass at midday and check later for burn holes. You won't find any.

What, no burn holes. Rainbows in water mist. You're shattering all my misconceptions that I firmly believed in. Next you're going to tell me we actually went to the moon in 1969

Richard

Shadow_Ferret
08-18-2008, 06:03 PM
I got that quote from an online gardening source.

And you experiment with your grass. I'm tired of having brown grass.

nerds
08-18-2008, 06:09 PM
'course brown lawn circles also come from female doggies. The neighbors'? Alien doggies? but doggies all the same.

:D

Shadow_Ferret
08-18-2008, 06:12 PM
I have never seen a rainbow when my dog wees.

nerds
08-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I have never seen a rainbow when my dog wees.

:D

Scientists say that one must be lying prone on the grass adjacent to one's dog, looking up at just the right magical moment, in order to experience this phenomenon.

Pagey's_Girl
08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
They're also seeding the clouds! I saw a *rainbow* in the sky on my way to work last week!

*Grabs tinfoil hat*

(Actually, in all seriousness, I did see a rainbow a couple of Fridays ago on the way to work. Way cool.)

Seaclusion
08-18-2008, 06:32 PM
I've seen a 360 degree full circle rainbow a couple of time while flying (in an airplane,SF). Way cool. I guess the experiment went wrong somehow.

Richard

Shadow_Ferret
08-18-2008, 06:46 PM
(in an airplane,SF).
Richard
That's for the addendum there, sea. I was wondering.

Judg
08-18-2008, 07:56 PM
I got that quote from an online gardening source.

And you experiment with your grass. I'm tired of having brown grass.
I'll see your quote and raise you one. ;)

Myth: Sunshine focused through water droplets will burn leaves. (http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/plants/articles/demystifying-garden-myths.aspx)

Truth:
The diffused rays of the sun are not power*ful enough to cause burning. If it were the case that water droplets burned leaves, farmers would encounter huge losses after each daytime rainstorm. In fact, lawn care professionals often cool turf by spritzing water over the foliage during the hottest part of the day. In general, the best time to water most garden plants is early in the morning because of higher municipal water pressure, a lower evaporation rate, and the potential to reduce foliar diseases that often occur in overly moist situations. But if you are left with no other choice, watering midday will not harm your plants.

Gardening myth: dangerous raindrops (http://janets-garden.blogspot.com/2006/09/gardening-myth-dangerous-raindrops.html)

Myth: Don't water during the day, because water droplets on the leaves will focus the sun's rays and burn holes in the leaves.

This one was in the newspaper again last weekend. In print. In the gardening column. *sigh*

OK, let's stop and think a minute. How many of you found holes or burn marks spread over your entire garden last time the sun came out after a summer shower? Lift your hands. ... I thought so. By that logic, virtually every gardener who ever lived should have experienced massive burning at some time or another.

Now, I don't know about you, but when I use magnifying glasses to burn holes in paper, I have to hold the magnifying glass some distance above the paper to get the focus right. Putting the magnifying glass directly on the paper just doesn't work. So, when was the last time you saw water drops suspended in the air above your leaves?

Lesson: just because somebody says it, doesn't necessarily mean it's so.

On the other hand, it's true that it's not a great idea to water in the middle of the day, especially with sprinklers, because evaporation rates will be way up and you'll waste a lot of water. But your leaves will be just fine.OK, I confess, that last one is cheating a little.