Changing Agents

Viking

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levraphael.com
Has anyone had a positive experience changing agents after a book already had a submission history?

By that I mean, did you end up with your new agent selling the book when the previous one couldn't? This happened to a friend of mine and I'm wondering how common an experience it is.

Ancillary to that is this question: is it likely if an editor at a house has passed on a book that she's also talked about it to other editors there, thus making it impossible for a new agent to submit the same project to a different editor at the same house?

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on the house and how far up the foodchain your book goes. Frex, at my publisher, all books my editor is interested in buying get taken to the editorial meeting to be discussed and fought for. She gives it to other editors (and marketing) for a second read, and then a decision is made. But if your book never makes it to the editorial meeting, it might be a different story.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
When a book is submitted to a publisher it is read by multiple editors- it is highly unlikely that book would be bought just because another agent submitted it- What may happen is that another publisher might be interested or a smaller press that the other agent has a relationship with- What is more likely is that the author stays with the agent - sets that project aside and starts another book -
Of course it might be different for Non fic- That depend quite a bit more on the pitch and timing...
Now even though LOTTERY went to auction- the first editor it was submitted to at Putnam decided to pass it on to another editor at Putnam he thought would be perfect for it-
I really have to say that if your book was passed on it's really unlikely to be picked up at that house after re submittal-

Viking

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levraphael.com
When a book is submitted to a publisher it is read by multiple editors- it is highly unlikely that book would be bought just because another agent submitted it- What may happen is that another publisher might be interested or a smaller press that the other agent has a relationship with- What is more likely is that the author stays with the agent - sets that project aside and starts another book -
Of course it might be different for Non fic- That depend quite a bit more on the pitch and timing...
Now even though LOTTERY went to auction- the first editor it was submitted to at Putnam decided to pass it on to another editor at Putnam he thought would be perfect for it-
I really have to say that if your book was passed on it's really unlikely to be picked up at that house after re submittal-

Based on the submission history, the book was not seen by multiple editors at any house or imprint, or anyone in marketing, but simply solo editors who spoke for themselves and nobody else (though one or two were high up in the hierarchy).

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It depends. I know of one book that was passed on by one reasonably high-up editor at a big house and then was eagerly accepted by another reasonably high-up editor at a different imprint of the same house (I know this because I was one of the authors of said book).

So, yeah, I can imagine a case where an agent sent a manuscript to Jane Doe at Villard, and Jane didn't go for it, and then said agent didn't submit to other editors at other Random House imprints; New Agent comes along and realizes it's a perfect fit for Richard Roe at Shaye Areheart Books, and Roe falls in love with it and all is well.

At some level of granularity, this might look to an author who didn't know a lot about the publishing industry like New Agent had more pull at Random House than Old Agent. And New Agent may well have had a better inside track to what the folks at Shaye Areheart were looking for in this case. On the other hand, Roe could have been a recent hire and/or the imprint could have just decided to focus on topics or markets that were a good match with this book, and if Old Agent had sent the MS over to Shaye Areheart six months ago, they might have passed on it as well.

I think that this is why good, detailed communication is something authors really should be looking for in an agent.

Viking

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levraphael.com
It all depends

And it depends on how tuned in the agent is to the individual editor's tastes and matching the ms. to the editor as well as to the house or imprint. Agents do miss. That's in part why I asked the original question because this happened to a friend who ended up with a "good deal" at the very top of that scale, i.e. $250,000 after switching agents.

I don't think it's true, as stated above, that every book is seen by more than one editor when it's submitted. If that happens, then the book has passed a bar, and having published 18 in many genres, I know from editors who have been enthusiastic that they seek support/confirmation from colleagues and higher-ups, as well as from marketing. But if it's not a go, however much they like the ms., they're unlikely to waste anyone's time.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I did not mean to imply every book that's passed on is seen by every editor- in order to buy a book (like icecream says) more than just a solitary editor sees it- and yes imprints in the same house do differ-
As far as how often this happens- and whether the agent makes a difference- hard to say unless you are picked up by Binky...

Viking

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levraphael.com
Yes, exactly, for a book to be acquired, the days of one editor being able to sign it are long gone. There's the board, Marketing, etc. etc. etc. I once had a Scribner editor DYING to publish a novel of mine but the board didn't think it would sell over 50,000 copies and she was heartbroken (I wasn't thrilled, either). But when a book is submitted, only one editor is likely to see it unless that editor is ambivalent, and needs to check her opinion and be persuaded/unpersuaded. I've been publishing books for almost 20 years and that's what I've learned from editors I've known.

I am still eager to know if anyone out there has a success story of changing agents and making a deal with a book that had been rejected.