A reflection on memoirs by Buechner

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I am rereading The Sacred Journey, a memoir by Frederick Buechner, novelist and Pulitzer-nominee, and I came across this in his introduction:

It is like looking through someone else's photograph album. What holds you, if nothing else, is the possibility that somewhere among all those shots of people you never knew and places you never saw, you may come across something or someone you recognize. In fact - for more curious things have happened - even in a stranger's album, there is always the possibility that as the pages flip by, on one of them you may even catch a glimpse of yourself. Even if both of those fail, there is still a third possibility which is perhaps the happiest of them all, and that is once I have put away my album for good, you may in the privacy of the heart take out the album of your own life and search it for the people and places you have loved and learned from yourself, and for those moments in the past - many of them half forgotten - through which you glimpsed, however dimly and fleetingly, the sacredness of your own journey.

Anyway, just thought I'd share with you life story writers! (and the book is beautiful BTW, full of those sentences you can let roll around in your head for a while before wanting to move to the next one)