PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves that drive you nuts...

KTC
08-17-2008, 01:42 AM
It's DEFINITELY.

NOT DEFINATELY.

Your turn. Go...

KTC
08-17-2008, 01:46 AM
I just did a search on 'definately' here at AW...searching for specific posts with that word in them. 20 pages of posts where the word was used. 20 pages! It's NOT definately. NOT, NOT, NOT!

EriRae
08-17-2008, 01:46 AM
Irregardless. Like nails on a chalkboard.

kct webber
08-17-2008, 01:47 AM
Centered around.

kct webber
08-17-2008, 01:49 AM

My inner ears are screaming just from looking at it. :rant:

kct webber
08-17-2008, 01:50 AM
Supposably. I don't believe I've ever seen it spelled like that, but I hear people say it all the time.

I could care less. Grr... You are not saying what you think you're saying! Grr...

KTC
08-17-2008, 01:50 AM
My inner ears are screaming just from looking at it

mine too. Good one. So good it hurts.

RLB
08-17-2008, 01:56 AM
"loosers"

Really, I used to think it was something you guys were making up to be funny, but then I saw it more and more around here and ran across it in SYW pieces a bit. Wow. Of course, I was woefully unaware of how to correctly spell "badminton" until last night, so maybe I shouldn't throw stones...

Siddow
08-17-2008, 02:14 AM

Overheard at a lit festival last weekend:

"Is irreparable a word? Can that be right?" says man about a sign on a broken piano.

"Of course it's a word! Irreparable, irresponsible, irregardless..." says woman I wanted to punch in the neck.

JoeEkaitis
08-17-2008, 02:18 AM
The misused apostrophe.

FREE COFFEE W/PURCHASE OF NINE COFFEE'S.

And a favorite from a local Hispanic eatery:

NINAS HAMBURGER'S TACO'S BURRITO'S

Three in the wrong place, none in the right.

Stew21
08-17-2008, 02:22 AM
"loosers"

Really, I used to think it was something you guys were making up to be funny, but then I saw it more and more around here and ran across it in SYW pieces a bit. Wow. Of course, I was woefully unaware of how to correctly spell "badminton" until last night, so maybe I shouldn't throw stones...

Just to defend...a great many of us do use "loosers" on purpose. It was a word used in a flounce and it just sort of stuck. If you see someone here tell others, "You're all a bunch of loosers" chances are we are playing on the inside joke.

(This does not justify what you saw in SYW, however.) ;)

RLB
08-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Just to defend...a great many of us do use "loosers" on purpose. It was a word used in a flounce and it just sort of stuck. If you see someone here tell others, "You're all a bunch of loosers" chances are we are playing on the inside joke.

(This does not justify what you saw in SYW, however.) ;)

I know it's a longstanding joke - it and "teh." It's just that I had never seen it used seriously until lately... Eek!

Ageless Stranger
08-17-2008, 02:49 AM
People who don't understand that inane is not INSANE. I had an english teacher who marked be down for this. Head/wall.

Ken
08-17-2008, 03:03 AM
"definitely" tripped me up for a long time, too.
I used to spell it "definitley" I think.
Usually corrected the mistake with aid of a dictionary.
I've finally committed its true spelling to memory by observing that "finite" is contained in it.

Silver King
08-17-2008, 03:41 AM
People who don't understand that inane is not INSANE. I had an english teacher who marked be down for this. Head/wall.
Typos and words that should be capitalized are at the top of my list. ;)

Seriously, though, I can't be bothered by how people spell to elevate my annoyance level to a pet peeve. I have far more important things to worry about, such as why there are two recent threads here with "pet peeve" in the title. Makes me wanna mash 'em together, like when I was mixing meatballs earlier and squeezed the meat between my fingers, the squishing sound a sure sign the ingredients were being combined to offer the best flavor possible.

KTC
08-17-2008, 03:46 AM
lol. Silver King pounces.

KTC
08-17-2008, 03:47 AM
PS...and just so we're clear. My pet peeve came first.

MWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Joycecwilliams
08-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Using the word very.

Devil Ledbetter
08-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Degrees of uniquity, as in "somewhat unique" "more unique" and "very unique." Unique means there is nothing else like it in the world. It is an absolute. It doesn't come in shades of somewhat, more and very.

KTC
08-17-2008, 04:31 AM
Degrees of uniquity, as in "somewhat unique" "more unique" and "very unique." Unique means there is nothing else like it in the world. It is an absolute. It doesn't come in shades of somewhat, more and very.

I hate it when AWers go AWOL!

reigningcatsndogs
08-17-2008, 05:08 AM
I had a high school english teacher who taught us about William Shakespeer (that might actually explain a lot... remember this when I make stupid mistakes is posts. It's his fault!)
and 'flustrated' and 'from off of' drive me inane. ;)

Devil Ledbetter
08-17-2008, 05:09 AM
I hate it when AWers go AWOL!Sorry. I've been away on vacation. Just got home yesterday.

Xyrventalagn
08-17-2008, 05:20 AM
People who work on their cars/motorcycles whilst others are trying to sleep. I don't care how much annoying noise they make during the day, but I shouldn't hear revving engines past 8:00 at night. I'm never asleep at that point, but I still find it to be extremely inconsiderate, and as such--with my horrible temper--I'm liable to do something about it.

~X.

Shadow_Ferret
08-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Peeple who git al bint oot uv shaype ovar typos.

Priene
08-17-2008, 09:00 AM
I had a high school english teacher who taught us about William Shakespeer

The man himself probably wouldn't have minded. English surnames didn't have fixed spellings at the time he lived. SHAKESPEARE is a later settlement. I've seen the name spent SHAKESPEAR and SHAKSPER and SHAXPER.

As for my pet peeve, there's a "whole blog" dedicated to it (http://quotation-marks.blogspot.com/).

Mandy-Jane
08-17-2008, 09:55 AM
People who say "everythink", and "nothink" instead of "everything" and "nothing". It is so common and I HATE it! What is it with these people? Do they not know? Do they know and not care? Are they just lazy? It is unforgiveable (did I spell that right?) in an adult.

I also get annoyed at people who send me huge emails that take forever to load, holding up every other email in the process, and then it turns out to be fluffy teddy bears or silly jokes about stuff that's not even funny!

Robert Toy
08-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Educated people who use the word “dude”

ChimeraCreative
08-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Using 'good' instead of 'well'. They didn't do good, they did well.

-An

sheadakota
08-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Like whatever- grrrrrr, that drives me inane;)

Robert Toy
08-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Like whatever- grrrrrr, that drives me inane;)
Add "Dude" to that and my BP goes off scale!:rant:

KTC
08-17-2008, 06:56 PM
People who tack, "and stuff like that" onto the end of half of their sentences. Stop it!

JoeEkaitis
08-17-2008, 08:15 PM
"Heighth".

It's "height" and rhymes with "kite," you dolt!

reigningcatsndogs
08-18-2008, 04:27 AM
People calling me 'Mare' and stuff like that. :tongue

maestrowork
08-18-2008, 04:57 AM
It's "a" unicorn and "an" hour. It's "a" body and "an" attachment. Sheesh.

Woodsie
08-18-2008, 05:06 AM
People who say "everythink", and "nothink" instead of "everything" and "nothing". It is so common and I HATE it! What is it with these people? Do they not know? Do they know and not care? Are they just lazy? It is unforgiveable (did I spell that right?) in an adult.

Sounds like they have nasal structure issues. Hold your nose and say the words.....

benbradley
08-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Centered around.

Overheard at a lit festival last weekend:

"Is irreparable a word? Can that be right?" says man about a sign on a broken piano.

"Of course it's a word! Irreparable, irresponsible, irregardless..." says woman I wanted to punch in the neck.
That's just totally wrong. A piano can always be repaired. But more often than not, oder ones are just not worth repairing. I should know, I've read Larry Fine's and Reblitz' books...

"Heighth".

It's "height" and rhymes with "kite," you dolt!

That can be a troublesome word, much like the words that come after "seven" and "seventh"...

A dictionary is a pedant's best friend. He or she probably has no other!

Silver King
08-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Sorry, Mare. I thought you liked it when I stuffed you full of stuff. :D

KTC
08-18-2008, 06:31 AM

Well, excccuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssssssssseeeeeeee eeeeeee me, Mare.

reigningcatsndogs
08-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Well, excccuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssssssssseeeeeeee eeeeeee me, Mare.

**opens window and turns on a fan**

Clair Dickson
08-18-2008, 08:22 AM
should of, could of, would of.

And 'task' as a verb. *twitch*

Oh, and my hubby (and his mom) regularly make reference to "Eight am in the morning." (Oddly, they don't say "Three pm in the afternoon.)

JoeEkaitis
08-18-2008, 08:28 AM
And 'task' as a verb. *twitch*Gift them with a copy of The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.

SPMiller
08-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Redundancy.

Therefore, this thread title qualifies.

BardSkye
08-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Our government-sanctioned use of "Wellness." Not in any dictionary I own.

"More better."

"Fall down." Falling up might be unusual enough to point out the direction, but in most cases when something falls, gravity ensures it'll go down.

underthecity
08-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Anyone saying "Valentime's Day." It's N!

Substituting "them" for "him or her." I know, I know, it still grates my nerves when I read something like "Look at this person. They don't know what they're talking about with their idiotic sentiments." Wait--I thought you said "person." "They" means there's more than one.

Oh, and anyone crunching potato chips or Doritos with his mouth open. Especially a child, for some reason. And breathing through his mouth too. Ugh! Close your damn mouth!

EriRae
08-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Drunk dialing. Or, to clarify, being on the receiving end of drunk dialing. And how about drunk e-mailing, when you receive an e-mail from someone you haven't heard from in ten years, only to reply and get no response.

JimmyB27
08-18-2008, 01:42 PM
It's "a" unicorn and "an" hour. It's "a" body and "an" attachment. Sheesh.
And "a herb", not "an 'erb".

My pet peeve is smokers throwing their butts on the ground. It's disgusting. Go to any city, and there's cigarette butts *everywhere*. And it puzzles me sometimes, because a lot of the people I know who do it are people who wouldn't think of dropping litter on the ground. I got news for you, people. Cigarette butts *are* litter.
And it sends me into almost murderous fits of rage when they do it right next to an ash tray. Why? For the love of god WHY?

HeronW
08-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Adults who eat like cows, mouth open, food spraying everywhere when they talk. Jeez, manners aren't that hard to follow. Actually cows keep their mouths mostly shut when they chew so they don't lose their food...

kct webber
08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
The new fad of titles like, "The Extreme Diary of an American Miscellaneous Object Whisperer."

Makes me growl and gag and feel ashamed all at the same time.

Broadswordbabe
08-18-2008, 06:35 PM
People who think that infer means the same as imply. Or that except means the same as accept. Or that there is no difference between disinterested and uninterested. I could go on...

Oh, and 'reference' used as a verb. What in the name of all the gods was wrong with 'refer to'? Huh?

Yep, I could definitely go on. A lot. Stopping now.

cray
08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
:e2moon:

Grrarrgh
08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
should of, could of, would of.

Oh, and my hubby (and his mom) regularly make reference to "Eight am in the morning." (Oddly, they don't say "Three pm in the afternoon.)

Both of these make me :Headbang:

Woodsie
08-18-2008, 06:45 PM
An invention I hear in the Ozark Mountains that is the offspring of the two words flustered and frustrated: flustrated. "That word gets me so flustrated!" I feel dirty now. I have to take a shower.

JimmyB27
08-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Oh, and 'reference' used as a verb. What in the name of all the gods was wrong with 'refer to'? Huh?
And that doesn't even come close to 'action' used as a verb.
'Can you please action this for me?'
'Sure I can, just so long as you banana this for me in return.'

I understand some nouns used as verbs, like housing people and such, but 'action' just sounds plain wrong.

SPMiller
08-18-2008, 07:06 PM
What is action supposed to mean in that context, anyway?

It doesn't specify which action the speaker wants you to take :Huh:

TerzaRima
08-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Between you and I.

Can not.

Nauseous as a synonym for nauseated.

underthecity
08-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Pronouncing "et cetera" as "eck-cetera." And spelling it as "ect."

Gigantic avatars that make the message area as one big white space.

One long thread that consists of nothing but BS posts and talks of POPCORN! Drives me bananas. And yes, I will banana that for you, Jimmy.

NeuroFizz
08-18-2008, 08:08 PM
1) ..when someone ends a statement with either "I'm just sayin'" or "just sayin'."
I'm just sayin'.

2) expresso instead of espresso, even if it sends you scurrying to the bathroom in a hunched rush.

3) students who use text messaging abbeviations in answers to exam essay questions. WTF?

robeiae
08-18-2008, 08:26 PM
No it's not. It's "an herb," unless you're talking about a guy named Herb..

http://lostinyourinbox.com/resources/Frank_Bonner_on_WKRP.jpg

It's also "an historical book."

ETA: Just sayin'...

KTC
08-18-2008, 08:31 PM
People who say OLDTIMERS' DISEASE. That's not what it's frickin' called!

robeiae
08-18-2008, 08:32 PM
What? Herpes?

Stew21
08-18-2008, 08:34 PM
One of my pet peeves is people who think it is peculiar/odd to have most of the people you consider friends to be people you know through the internet.

robeiae
08-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Well, it is a little idiosyncratic...

Stew21
08-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Idiosyncratic - I'll buy that, I guess.

you know, you aren't helping me feel less pathetic, right?

robeiae
08-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Idiosyncratic - I'll buy that, I guess.

you know, you aren't helping me feel less pathetic, right?
I'm now driving a Buick, instead of my V6 Passat.

Does that help?

Stew21
08-18-2008, 08:48 PM
considering I only know you through the internet, Yes. It does.

robeiae
08-18-2008, 08:49 PM
considering I only know you through the internet...
And that might be good thing for you, as well.

Stew21
08-18-2008, 08:58 PM
And that might be good thing for you, as well.

perceived safe distances are a pet peeve as well.
;)

KTC
08-18-2008, 09:06 PM
You internet people are odd.

Kevin, who is real.

Stew21
08-18-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm not a computer person. I'm real. You guys are the ones who live in my computer.

:D

Kitrianna
08-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Accept the weirdness, Embrace the weirdness, Be one with the weirdness.

Today it's people who "whisper" loudly across the table at the library computer stations. I want to ring their necks!

Stew21
08-18-2008, 09:18 PM
One of my pet peeves is people who think it is peculiar/odd to have most of the people you consider friends to be people you know through the internet.

See - now I feel the need to defend myself: I do have a good amount of online friends, and even more; most of the people in my family and people in real life that I consider my best friends in the world, do not live near me. Most of my friendships are technology-reliant these days.
I do have some friends and many acquaintances in my general vicinity.

KTC
08-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Accept the weirdness, Embrace the weirdness, Be one with the weirdness.

Today it's people who "whisper" loudly across the table at the library computer stations. I want to ring their necks!

SHHHHH. What's that?

cray
08-18-2008, 09:24 PM
See - now I feel the need to defend myself: I do have a good amount of online friends, and even more; most of the people in my family and people in real life that I consider my best friends in the world, do not live near me. Most of my friendships are technology-reliant these days.
I do have some friends and many acquaintances in my general vicinity.

*hugs trish*

we know, sweetie, we know. it'll be ok. here, drink this..

*hands trish a drink*

JLCwrites
08-18-2008, 09:29 PM
:e2moon:
^ Not a pet peeve, but I thought it was so profound that I decided to quote it. :)

Kitrianna
08-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Ummm...yeah. :D

robeiae
08-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Kevin, who is real.
Yeah...real stoopid!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I slay myself.

maestrowork
08-18-2008, 10:01 PM

It actually is "an herb." The "h" is silent (at least in American English).

underthecity
08-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Pet peeve of mine: a long string of BS posts in a thread where . . .

I said that one already.

Just sayin'. ;)

maestrowork
08-18-2008, 10:03 PM
And WTF is the interweb?

Is there a giant spider colony of which I'm not aware?

Ray, trying to be grammatically formal

Siddow
08-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Ray, trying to be grammatically formal

Uh, Ray, you missed your period.

Here, take mine. .

Kitrianna
08-18-2008, 10:19 PM
:roll: :Ssh:

TerzaRima
08-18-2008, 11:36 PM
To tell the truth.

Frankly.

To be honest with you.

The "random" use of "quotes" around words that don't "need" quotes.

Improper use of the superlative, i.e: "She is my eldest", when the speaker has only two children.

People who don't know how to use object pronouns but try to fluff things up like so: "This is for you and myself."

People who think brief unadorned sentences don't make them sound smart enough, so they run their work through the Pompous Obfuscation Random Prose Generator: "It would seem according to his biological parents that this child developed symptoms of fever a week ago" = "This child has had fever for one week."

JimmyB27
08-19-2008, 02:57 AM
It actually is "an herb." The "h" is silent (at least in American English).
Stupid Yanks, can't even speak properly.

;)

Let me just amend that peeve to 'American English' then. :)

KTC
08-19-2008, 02:59 AM
Herb is a man who has an herb.

Peachnuts
08-19-2008, 05:10 AM
over use of the word 'Suddenly' in novels.

Woodsie
08-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Over pronunciation of the 'h' in words that begin with 'wh' and the addition of an 'h' pronunciation where there is none.

robeiae
08-19-2008, 06:35 AM
WHat?

Woodsie
08-19-2008, 06:38 AM
:e2tomato:

qwerty
08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Being beaten at puter Scrabble with words like: odas, longan and orbita that I can't find in the Chambers 21st century dictionary.

KTC
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::R OFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROF L::ROFL:I slay myself.

Somebody has to do it. I wouldn't want to get my hands dirty.

Elaine Margarett
08-19-2008, 03:54 PM
I hate the saying "love you ( him, her, it) to death." What???

Or maybe that's just a stupid local saying like, "Downy Osion, hon."

I love living in Maryland, but sometimes...

Angela
08-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Pet peeves..........:e2shrug:

People who mispronounce words.

People who misspell words.

:Headbang:

People who ask me stupid questions, like "How long is your novel going to be?", or "How does it end?". If I knew how long it was going to be, I would have finished it already! I sometimes don't know how it ends. Sometimes I might have a ball park idea of where it's going, and other times I'm just as surprised as everyone else. I don't write the story, the story uses me to write itself. :e2teeth:

People that don't do everything I want, exactly the way I want it done, when I want it done......oh wait, that's not a pet peeve. That's something I'm working on in therapy..... :e2smack:

JoeEkaitis
08-20-2008, 07:37 PM
The driver who jams the entire front end of her Fordillac Escascursion into the crosswalk at stop signs and red lights, forcing pedestrians to walk into traffic as they cross the street. It's also a nasty habit because someday, the pedestrian will already be crossing in front of her and she'll plow into the poor sucker because she's grown accustomed to stopping that way. But on a positive note, she'll probably kill, instead of maiming, the victim. Funeral expenses are much lower than long-term care.

KTC
08-20-2008, 07:41 PM
People who say/write, "people that..." when they really mean, "people who..."

NeuroFizz
08-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Oh yeah. I forgot my greatest peeve--emoticons, smilies, all those little animations that allow people to say something rude and "soften it" with a "just kidding (not really)" cop-out. My ninth circle is emoticon-land, and sometimes this place gets really close to it.

*waits for the barrage...*

KTC
08-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah. I forgot my greatest peeve--emoticons, smilies, all those little animations that allow people to say something rude and "soften it" with a "just kidding (not really)" cop-out. My ninth circle is emoticon-land, and sometimes this place gets really close to it.

:)

cray
08-20-2008, 07:46 PM
up you're's :D

:)

:roll:

Silver King
08-21-2008, 04:41 AM

I lived without them here for a few hundred posts. Then I grew tired of explaining, "Hey, I was just kidding around. Couldn't you tell?"

Now I use them with abandon, probably too much. But fook it. They save me a great deal of time from having to qualify my statements. I know, I know, I should do so without the need of emoticons, but I'm lazy, and throwing out a smiley face seems harmless enough and a time saver.

Talk about pet peeves: I hate people who refuse to use emoticons! :D

Pagey's_Girl
08-21-2008, 05:50 AM
http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/p/poke.gif
http://www.extremefunnypictures.com/comment/tongue_smile.gif

BlackViolet13
08-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Anyways

Tika
08-21-2008, 01:44 PM
People that speak to me and at the end of every stinking sentence, raise the tone of their voice so that every sentence sounds like a question rather than a statement.

I was walking down the street today? And I saw this big dog? He looked really mean? I thought he was going to bite me? blah blah blah.

(Don't worry about the dog. I may bite you!) oops, should I have put quotes around that?

BUGS ME!
PEEVES ME OFF!
WHAT IS UP WITH THAT???
Crawls off sheepishly to water my erbs.

Elaine Margarett
08-21-2008, 02:53 PM
People that speak to me and at the end of every stinking sentence, raise the tone of their voice so that every sentence sounds like a question rather than a statement.

Yes!

When I was a dog trainer (which really meant training the humans of the dog) I would try in vain to get people to stop "asking" their dog to do something. It's not, sit? It's sit! They call them commands because you're telling the animal to do something; not asking. To which they'd reply..."But I don't want to make him (the dog) mad at me."

People! I'll take a dog, anyday~

JoeEkaitis
08-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Asterisks in EVERYTHING IN THE STORE ON SALE!* ads

*Excluding Bose, Apple, Harmon-Kardon, KLH, Maytag, Meile, Fagor, Bosch, Frigidaire, KitchenAid, Calphalon, Presto, Rival, Hamilton-Beach, anything in a box with the face of a Food Network star in a circular or starburst-shaped border, and Hershey chocolate bars actually made in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

Pagey's_Girl
08-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Asterisks in EVERYTHING IN THE STORE ON SALE!* ads

*Excluding Bose, Apple, Harmon-Kardon, KLH, Maytag, Meile, Fagor, Bosch, Frigidaire, KitchenAid, Calphalon, Presto, Rival, Hamilton-Beach, anything in a box with the face of a Food Network star in a circular or starburst-shaped border, and Hershey chocolate bars actually made in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

*Excluding: anything anyone in his/her right mind would actually want to purchase.