Author / Agent Contracts

gau dog

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmarstudio.com
Regarding author / agent contracts, is it alright to ask or demand alterations before signing? Stuff like asking the agent to lower their commission percentage.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
You can ask, but I doubt the agent will comply. Fifteen percent U.S. is standard, twenty for foreign, so I don't understand why you'd want an agent to lower his or her rate. What would be their incentive for doing so? Agents are in high demand, writers are not, so your request is a losing proposition. But like I said, you can try. :Shrug:

Other "stuff" in the contract might be considered, I suppose, depending on what it is. My agency's contract states they will represent everything I write, and I'm good with that, but not all writers would be if they want a different agent for nonfic or something. My contract is pretty boiler plate, really.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't ask, much less demand, a lowering of commission rates. If the agent takes the standard 15%, or even 20%, it's not a case of him/her making money out of you as much as you getting 85% or 80% out of a sale that agent may make for you. Without an agent, you stand very little chance of making anything.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound harsh, but let's face it, you are not in a position to demand anything, at least not now. You are desperate to get a good agency to represent you - the agency isn't desperate to find an unpublished writer to represent. Forget about discussing the agent's commission rates. Either accept or don't. If you don't accept her rates don't tell her that's why you aren't signing with the agency. As has been said here many times over, the big publishing world is actually very small.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
What agency is it?
Commissions are industry standard - 15% North american and 20% foreign-
You are not talking about very many dollars here... PM some of us authors and tell us the agent/agency...
Even William Morris gave me an option of no contract- it isn't really an issue until they sell your book..

gau dog

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmarstudio.com
I don't have a deal on the table or anything, I'm just asking because the thought occurred to me of why not. I wanted to find out if it's something that happens, can happen, or if it's too rude to do so. Are there any conditions under which an author would want to seek to alter an agent contract in the first place?

Last edited:

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Your agent works for you and your career. Legitimate agents many times don't even worry about a contract until your work is sold. As huge as WMA is they gave me a choice whether to sign a contract with them before hand or not and it was quite a simple one. it basically says they handle the money- collect payments for the work they sold and then deduct their 15% (20% for foreign and 10% for film)- that's it- nothing complex- If I leave the agency they still get their percent of LOTTERY until it's out of print and the rights revert back to me-
Rude? No. A sign of naivete and inexperience? More likely.
There are some scammer agents that have odd and unfavorable contracts. When writers are offered representation by my agent Dorian- she gives them my name (with permission) and they talk to me about working with her- Some have asked me about the contract with WMA-
That's a better way of doing it I think-
You try not to go into an agent-writer relationship from an adversarial position...

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Mick, a good place to start is the Association of Authors' Agents, the British trade group for professional literary agents. Its website hosts a list of members. Also check this stickied thread in this forum--there are many resources listed there that should help you.

We try to keep threads pretty much on topic here, so if you have other questions, try using the search function to see if there has already been discussion on them, and if not, post a new thread with your question. Thanks, and welcome to AW!

- Victoria