PDA

View Full Version : oddity and a gripe

She_wulf
08-16-2008, 07:56 AM
First the oddity...I get the following message when trying to post a new topic in the TIOB forum:

(User name) you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.I've never had this happen before.

Now my gripe (needs to go to Take it outside the ... but I can't post there)

My boss, who was the subject of an earlier thread complaining about his tightfisted, underhanded, backjackasterisk-y behaviors, has struck again. Rather than resurrect an old thread, I'm venting here.

He is refusing to pay me a pre-quoted day rate for my labor. Normally, I travel and program, etc, and get $400-450/day with a competitor company we worked out an agreement with. My company, who I'm now listed as a contractor for is not expected to pay this rate, but I quoted them a day rate of $375 at least six months ago.

After sending in an invoice for a particularly easy show, but one that I was away from my home for five days straight, he contacts me via email and says the following:

I am not prepared to pay a $375/day rate for Las Vegas. I'm some what surprised at this. At no time have I ever paid a tech $375/day. The
higest rate has been and will continue to be $250/day.
That is what was budgeted. If you had wanted a rate this high why wouldn't you have told me in advance? I had to send (name deleted) out there with all that cost. A person who makes $375/day should have set up that show with no additional help.

Please adjust your invoice and I'll have (name deleted) cut a check when he returns from vacation. If $375 is your new rate I may have to look elsewhere for laser programming/tech support. Please let me know.

Now my questions,

1. Am I imagining rudeness here?
2. Is this legal?
3. At what point should I cave?

Personally, I think he is being a jackass and am glad they won't be calling me back for more shows. I don't need this kind of undercutting of a talent that only a dozen or so people in the US can perform at my skill level. He has continually done this to me and it was one of the reasons I decided not to be a regular employee with them.

There's a bit of background here too. I was brought into this company promised a salary position. What wasn't specified in this "salary" position was the fact that I would work 60+ hour weeks, nights, weekends, be away from home, be threatened with unemployment if I complained, etc. When I started sleeping at the shop it was time to call the madness to a halt. Apparently, my cries fell on deaf ears.

Amy

Fenika
08-16-2008, 08:09 AM
I am not prepared to pay a $375/day rate for Las Vegas. Bit rude I'm some what surprised at this. Stupid At no time have I ever paid a tech $375/day. That's nice dear. (demeaning) The
higest rate has been and will continue to be $250/day. Well there you go. Do you really want this guy's 250 per day? Sounds like you don't :)
That is what was budgeted. If you had wanted a rate this high why wouldn't you have told me in advance? Aren't you precious. I had to send (name deleted) out there with all that cost. Well I guess he's the one screwed if he burns bridges or bullies, which he may well do. A person who makes $375/day should have set up that show with no additional help. Well, since he's an expert, let him find another $375er to set up his show.

Please adjust your invoice to what?? 250? A compromise? WTF??? and I'll have (name deleted) cut a check when he returns from vacation. pffft If $375 is your new rate I may have to look elsewhere for laser programming/tech support. Yes you will. Please let me know.

I hope that helped :D

Christina, Unemployed

Dawno
08-16-2008, 08:17 AM
re: TIO

Your thread is fine here. In the sticky thread "PLEASE READ: Differences between TIO and OP" (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27607) it says:

If you're blowing off steam about general life stuff, that goes in Office Party, too. Or if you're worried about a member, or there's something horrible in the news, etc. I know it may feel kind of funny posting serious things in "Office Party," but that is still the appropriate place for it.

Shadow_Ferret
08-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Dawno is wise.

And your boss is a cheapscate.

Dawno
08-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Do you have any documentation (say a Statement of Work with deliverables and quoted payment terms?) or even an email agreeing to your quoted rate? If so, don't back down at any point, a contract is a contract. You could probably get a judge to enforce it with penalties and interest. If you don't have documentation, you have to decide how hard to push - is this a client you want to work for again?

btw, my day job is as a vendor manager for consulting/contracting suppliers to a high tech co. and I'm pretty comfy with the advice above.

MacAllister
08-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Yep. TIO is generally closed to new threads, although you can still reply to threads that get ported in there to flame out safely - it was a getting so that too many folks would post threads in there simply to stir up trouble, and there isn't any appropriate place for that.

I'll be changing the forum descriptions and so on as soon as I get a chance - probably about february, the way things are looking right this minute. :)

HeronW
08-16-2008, 12:03 PM
If you have your rates posted and the boss's acceptance in writing for the time alloted then he owes you the full amount.

And he can indeed find someone else and screw them over.

Unique
08-16-2008, 01:05 PM
... ... ...too many folks would post threads in there simply to stir up trouble, and there isn't any appropriate place for that.

Aw, Mom! Take out all the fun ... sheesh.

I'll be changing the forum descriptions and so on as soon as I get a chance - probably about february, the way things are looking right this minute. :)

You, too, huh? oh well - at least it's not just me. :D

She-wulf - I've never been in that situation per se, but it looks like you've gotten some good advice (depending on the legalities) Do you have a contract or was all this verbal?

Your boss sounds like an asshat. I'd take what I could get and then blackball him.
scheisskopf.

She_wulf
08-16-2008, 11:16 PM
First, thanks to all for advice.

There was no written contract for the show, but on two occasions I gave him a rate sheet. (which obviously, he didn't read)

Here's snippets of the latest email...I'm shaking my head because the correspondence I've replied with to him isn't juvenile or unprofessional. It merely stated facts, prior rates, etc.

... I'm not sure why you are acting like
this, but let me set a few things clear.

1. $250/day is for tech days only, not travel. ...
2. I could have sent (name withheld) to Las Vegas. He had agreed on a
package deal of designing and tech the show. Do you recall that you charged us for designing the show also? I decided on loyalty and sent you, knowing you were having difficulty finding a job.
3. (name withheld) was sent because of past issues with you being a lead on a show site. (name withheld)'s flight was very expensive.
4. What would you rather have? $400/day and work maybe a week out of the year or $250/day and work 6 months out of the year.

$1,000 total is what was budgeted for you. Send an invoice for that amount.

I hope we can resume a working relationship with you. If not, then good
luck to you.

scheisskopf...I like that word. I remember scheiss muttered by my grandfather on occasion, didn't realize it was a "real" word. TY.

Judg
08-16-2008, 11:21 PM
scheisskopf...I like that word. I remember scheiss muttered by my grandfather on occasion, didn't realize it was a "real" word. TY.
That's the German version of the sh word. And Kopf means "head".

She_wulf
08-16-2008, 11:30 PM
That's the German version of the sh word. And Kopf means "head".
It's amazing the words you pick up when you are four years old.

He used to call me a (forgive bad spelling) schnicklefritz.

Any clues?
I think it might mean sprite or something like that, but knowing him, it could have meant something worse. He was a pistol.

:)
Also, what does it do when you add "heimer" to a word. Maybe I'm not spelling that right. It could be "enheimer" for all I know.

Amy

vixey
08-16-2008, 11:59 PM
::this choo choo is crashing and burning::

Judg
08-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Sorry, we didn't cover much slang in German lit classes...

Fritz is a nickname for Fred and Schnickschnack means chit-chat, so I'm betting Schnickelfritz would be something akin to a chatty Cathy.

Heim means home, so there's nothing offensive going on there. To my ear, it sounds vaguely comical, but you'd be better off with somebody who's actually lived in Germany to clue you in on that.

sassandgroove
09-03-2008, 12:25 AM
First, thanks to all for advice.

There was no written contract for the show, but on two occasions I gave him a rate sheet. (which obviously, he didn't read)

Here's snippets of the latest email...I'm shaking my head because the correspondence I've replied with to him isn't juvenile or unprofessional. It merely stated facts, prior rates, etc.

scheisskopf...I like that word. I remember scheiss muttered by my grandfather on occasion, didn't realize it was a "real" word. TY.THat is unbelievably rude. It seems to me like he's just trying to bully you into a lower invoice.

She_wulf
09-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Oh it gets better...

I did another bit of labor for him and because he couldn't arrange alternative talent to take over for me, he won't pay me for the portions I got completed.

The invoice is for $75.

And he won't pay it.

:e2smack:
:Headbang:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Small claims court?

Maryn
09-03-2008, 04:19 PM
OFG is one smart cookie. Don't just absorb this jerkwad's unwillingness to pay for services rendered. Take him to court, with a good paper trail of what dates he asked for the work, its exact nature, when he approved of your completion of each task, etc. Have a one-page summary of all documents. Get a judgment.

And, in my opinion, if ever again he calls because he can't find someone else and is in a crunch, that's his tough break. "I'm sorry, but considering our past payment difficulties, I won't be able to accept this job. You have a good day, Bill." [Click] I wouldn't even give him the names of other people who might help him out. Why subject them to the treatment you've received?

Maryn, saluting OFG

sassandgroove
09-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Or, "Given your past payment history, I'll need payment in advance."

If you want to bother.

DeleyanLee
09-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I'd also consider the Better Business Bureau.