What to wear to meet a prospective agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyFeathers

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

An agent has read a partial. He wants to meet me. He does not yet represent me. We are meeting informally to talk on a hot summer afternoon over coffee, sort of thing.

What should I wear? I'm a girl.

DustyFeathers

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I'll wear a dress--sort of nice but neutral on a summer day.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
No suit, I would think. A summery-but-not-revealing dress or a skirt and top?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'll add while you shouldn't be too revealing, it doesn't hurt to play up the fact that you are a woman and he's a guy. Don't go too crazy, but a little bit of sex appeal never hurt anyone! ;)

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Phew. I'm gonna screw this one up, if the day ever comes. I plan to wear my ordinary everyday clothing. But the reaction should be amusing.

Yeah, I'm a writer. Yup, the same one you were just talking to on the phone. I promise...

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Dress exactly like your MC would, talk in her voice and only respond to her name.

(But seriously, I agree with the cute dress idea.)

I'll add while you shouldn't be too revealing, it doesn't hurt to play up the fact that you are a woman and he's a guy. Don't go too crazy, but a little bit of sex appeal never hurt anyone! ;)

The two times I've gone to a conference, I've told my husband I want the immediate reaction to be "Who is that stunning woman and what has she written? I must know."

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I think it's important to dress the way you feel is appropriate. For many in this thread, that's smartly. For me, it'd be everyday clothes. If the agent is going to have trouble with your dress-sense, to the point of not wanting you as a client, best for it to come out before signing.

Woodsie

I have tendencies.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.graceisforsinner.com
I've day-dreamt about the day I get to pick an outfit for an agent or publisher and I always see myself wearing trendy/business-lady tops, chunky jewelry with high end jeans and some cute heels.

Here's something useful: I read somewhere that women shouldn't wear perfume on a 'job' interview with a man because it's too distracting, but if you're interviewing with a woman it is encouraged.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Business casual. Professional and serious, but not stuffy. Hard to go wrong with that, no matter what the personality of the agent.

Business casual, absolutely. Cute summer dress with a little cardigan maybe?

And booby tassels underneath.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Just want to toss out that not all male agents are heterosexual.

Truly, don't play up that you're a girl -- he knows you're a girl. He's not hiring you to fetch coffee or work a stripper pole, he's interviewing you to see if he wants to rep you. This is a meet and greet so he can see what you're like and if you're worth working with and for. Dress in a way that's natural and relatively comfortable. I agree that business casual is usually a can't go wrong, but jeans and a t-shirt are going to be a lot better than going for the "subtle but sexy" look.

I've met a lot of agents -- not one of them gave a damn what I was wearing. What they ALL gave a damn about was what I was writing, and what I was like as an individual.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com

Truly, don't play up that you're a girl -- he knows you're a girl. He's not hiring you to fetch coffee or work a stripper pole, he's interviewing you to see if he wants to rep you. This is a meet and greet so he can see what you're like and if you're worth working with and for. Dress in a way that's natural and relatively comfortable. I agree that business casual is usually a can't go wrong, but jeans and a t-shirt are going to be a lot better than going for the "subtle but sexy" look.

I've met a lot of agents -- not one of them gave a damn what I was wearing. What they ALL gave a damn about was what I was writing, and what I was like as an individual.

Oh god THANK YOU. I was starting to think i was in some kind of weird parallel universe.

If it's really a big worry, wear what you would wear to an office job.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Kristen Nelson blogged about this recently on Fri Aug 8

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
I would say wear what makes you feel good. (Well, yeah, within limits - I mean if a canyon cleavage and inch-thick makeup make you feel good, you might want to tone it down a little - likewise the leather and studs, unless you're writing biker fiction). But basically if you feel happy in what you're wearing, then you'll feel more confident. If you're wearing clothes that make you feel uncomfortable and unlike yourself, then you'll be nervous.
And good luck!

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com

Sorry if I offended with my suggestion. I knew some would find it shocking. I really didn't mean to say you should wear a clingy red dress and stilettos, but was just being honest. And by subtle, I meant subtle. I didn't mean, bat your eyelashes and lick your lips, and I said nothing at all about flirting. Just about wearing something "subtle but sexy". No mention of any pole there!

Yes agents are looking for a product, they are also looking for something to market, and a pretty girl, who is comfortable in her own skin, is definitely marketable. I'm sorry, but I know quite a few young women who's agents sent along their photos along with their submission package to editors. Now what purpose on earth could a photo have to do with a writing submission, except the obvious? Also even if the man is gay, gay men like a well dressed woman comfortable in her sexuality. I actually didn't specify straight or gay for that reason.

Of course the most important thing is for you to be comfortable, dress how you would dress, don't try to be someone else. Look clean and presentable, and I totally agree with not wearing a lot of perfume.

But those suggestions had already been made, I was thinking a little outside the box. I was pointing out possibly a slightly uncomfortable truth. We all have different things we can use to our advantage - of course the writing is the most important thing. But I wanted to throw the idea out there, just so she could think about it.

In the end though, I expected she would take all our suggestions into consideration and choose whatever one suited her best. Just wanted to keep her options open!

ETA- I want to add that this is only something to do if you feel comfortable with it. You won't lose points if you don't want to do it, nor should an agent decide against an author if they don't look right. It's just one more thing to use to your advantage is all, but it shouldn't be the most important thing. And if an agent thinks it is, woah, so not worth signing with that agent!

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I'd like to extend Toothpaste's advice, if I may.

Good-looking people have all sorts of doors open for them that not-good-looking people don't. Period. Therefore, dressing a bit "sexy" would work just as well for attractive men.

If you don't like that, tough. I don't like it--I ain't a beauty king myself. But it's the truth.

Donkey

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to extend Toothpaste's advice, if I may.

Good-looking people have all sorts of doors open for them that not-good-looking people don't. Period. Therefore, dressing a bit "sexy" would work just as well for attractive men.

If you don't like that, tough. I don't like it--I ain't a beauty king myself. But it's the truth.

Problem is, it's not advice that most people can take, is it. Most of us aren't all that attractive. Unless you live in Redondo Beach, of course.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Problem is, it's not advice that most people can take, is it. Most of us aren't all that attractive. Unless you live in Redondo Beach, of course.

That depends. Most of us aren't Hollywood gorgeous to be sure, but is that the benchmark for attractiveness? I have met some very sexy men and women who would never be categorised as that, but still have that certain something. Gary Oldman to me is incredibly sexy, and he's this skinny little guy with a bit of a strange face. We've got to start behaving more like the Europeans who see sex appeal less about appearance, and more about attitude. But that is a WHOLE other discussion!

Look I'm sorry if I opened a can of worms, truly. It was one suggestion, not an absolute, and the OP was free to take it or not. I wanted to put something out there that maybe hadn't been thought of, unpleasant or not as it was, that is all. I know it's annoying that looks matter, even in the writing world, but the good news is they aren't the be all and end all (unlike the acting world). I say use whatever you have to your advantage. Some people have an amazing platform, their novel is about surfing and they are a world champion surfer, I'd use that! But not everyone has a platform for their novel, something unique about them that makes the novel even more special, so that means we have to find something else that makes us marketable. Some people are wickedly funny. And some people are attractive. Some people can charm their way out of parking tickets. Use what you have, use what you are comfortable with.

It's all about the writing yes, but it doesn't hurt to come with something a little extra.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if I offended with my suggestion. I knew some would find it shocking. I really didn't mean to say you should wear a clingy red dress and stilettos, but was just being honest. And by subtle, I meant subtle. I didn't mean, bat your eyelashes and lick your lips, and I said nothing at all about flirting. Just about wearing something "subtle but sexy". No mention of any pole there!

Yes agents are looking for a product, they are also looking for something to market, and a pretty girl, who is comfortable in her own skin, is definitely marketable. I'm sorry, but I know quite a few young women who's agents sent along their photos along with their submission package to editors. Now what purpose on earth could a photo have to do with a writing submission, except the obvious? Also even if the man is gay, gay men like a well dressed woman comfortable in her sexuality. I actually didn't specify straight or gay for that reason.

Of course the most important thing is for you to be comfortable, dress how you would dress, don't try to be someone else. Look clean and presentable, and I totally agree with not wearing a lot of perfume.

But those suggestions had already been made, I was thinking a little outside the box. I was pointing out possibly a slightly uncomfortable truth. We all have different things we can use to our advantage - of course the writing is the most important thing. But I wanted to throw the idea out there, just so she could think about it.

In the end though, I expected she would take all our suggestions into consideration and choose whatever one suited her best. Just wanted to keep her options open!

ETA- I want to add that this is only something to do if you feel comfortable with it. You won't lose points if you don't want to do it, nor should an agent decide against an author if they don't look right. It's just one more thing to use to your advantage is all, but it shouldn't be the most important thing. And if an agent thinks it is, woah, so not worth signing with that agent!

Quoted for truth.

It's just the real world, that's all.

I, myself, as a professional and a male, go with business casual.

Which, in my case, means a too-often washed black shirt, untucked, a pair of jeans, and Doc Martens for virtually all professional engagements. If we're going for lunch in a very nice place, I might break out the black jeans (saved for special occasions only).

The only time I tart up is for the Giller Prize gala - the shock on people's faces when they recognize me makes it all worthwhile.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
err on the side of caution, as they say, and dress a bit better than you think you should. No one is ever going to knock you for being too well dressed, but they might for being too poorly so.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you want his undivided attention, wear business casual.
If you want his divided attention, wear booby tassels.

Status
Not open for further replies.