Police Officers

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
As always, I like to start my research with a wide overview before I actually know what specific questions might be necessary.

Right now I'm looking into daily lives of police officers (specifically in NYC), both on the job and at home. I know it'll vary on the unit, but I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with blogs (a quick search on Google pulls up a few), books (fiction or non) that would give considerable insight to what it takes to be an officer--some of the harder stuff, like mental/emotional reactions, affecting family life, etc.

Of course, personal stories and anecdotes are always welcome, but again, since I don't exactly know what I want/need I don't want to monopolize anyone's time asking questions just to prod. I've researched the more "organization" angle, NYPD websites and federal government and the like. Right now I'd like to focus on the people. Still, I love anything you guys think might be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I spent over 20 years working in a small city. We had the same crimes as NYC just not as many of them (and not as many cops to deal with them either). When you get to specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer.

Big differences between NYC and a small city - they can throw 100 cops at a problem, we only had 100 cops altogether.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Also try Lee Lofland's book "Police Procedure and Investigation" one of the Howdunnits put out by Writer's Digest. A lot of great information, plus he tells some of his stories from being a cop.

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of this guy: http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/

He's a cop in a small Texas town, so I'm not sure how much of it will be applicable, but it's a good read anyway. In particular, I would recommend a couple of semi-fictional collaborations he had with some other emergency personnel regarding...

A drunk-driving accident

and another medical emergency.

Again, this may differ in flavor from a NYC cop, but the emotions are probably universal.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Guys, thanks so much. I was hesitant on even mentioning the NYC angle since I know a lot of the emotions/crimes are the same, just a difference of location. But I figured it couldn't hurt to mention where the story's set.

You guys are great!

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I spent over 20 years working in a small city. We had the same crimes as NYC just not as many of them (and not as many cops to deal with them either). When you get to specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer.

Big differences between NYC and a small city - they can throw 100 cops at a problem, we only had 100 cops altogether.
Ha. We had 350. Only about 100 knew what they were doing, however.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but I read this book when I started my journey into law enforcement:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0671747401/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

It is a bit dated now though (since the class he wrote about was in 1988) and I'm sure that information has changed a lot since then.

There is another series of books written by a former Las Vegas Metro officer that collects real stories from a variety of cops. I hope you forgive me if I can't recall the author or name of the series anymore - I remembered him only because he was featured in some of the early episodes of "Cops" and I remembered thinking that he's a jackass (at least as shown on the television program and because he reminds me of several officers I work with who are jackasses).

But, I must also caution you that there is no 'standard' for the live of a cop on or off the job. I'm very different from most of my peers and they are from me. We work a smaller agency (would be happy to have 100 deputies!) so know each other a lot better. Which is both a blessing and a curse. In that, I know that I'm different from most of my peers in a lot of regards and exactly the same as they in a lot of regards.

I usually advise, and I think the others that work in law enforcement would echo the sentiment, try not to think of cops as one entity but a bunch of individuals with their own sets of values, mores, ethics and life codes. Hell, even life skills! I know officers who are great with other officers but not anyone else.

Myself? I'm not great with anyone but have a reputation for following through on what I'll say I'll do.

Rabe...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
But, I must also caution you that there is no 'standard' for the live of a cop on or off the job. I'm very different from most of my peers and they are from me. We work a smaller agency (would be happy to have 100 deputies!) so know each other a lot better. Which is both a blessing and a curse. In that, I know that I'm different from most of my peers in a lot of regards and exactly the same as they in a lot of regards.

I usually advise, and I think the others that work in law enforcement would echo the sentiment, try not to think of cops as one entity but a bunch of individuals with their own sets of values, mores, ethics and life codes. Hell, even life skills! I know officers who are great with other officers but not anyone else.

Absolutely. :) I couldn't agree with you more. The cop stuff comes into play because I've got two characters, neither the MC, who are cops. They're also not POV characters, so whenever they're on the job it's not shown. So they do have their definitive personalities within their group of friends, but their profession does play into the main plot enough that I need it to be realistic. The job itself affects one's personal life more than the other.

Thanks again, all. As always everyone is over-and-beyond helpful.