PDA

View Full Version : Bigfoot, real or not?

goatmam
08-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Bigfoot may have been found. Maybe. We'll see.
Two Northern California men and two Georgians say they've got a body, a photo and DNA evidence pertaining to the elusive forest-dwelling man-ape and that they'll reveal all at a press conference in Palo Alto, Calif., on Friday.
foxnews.com

So I first stumbled upon this news story on news radio on my way to work today and decided to check into it... Now what I want to know is what do you all think?

Here is linkage for you.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/17174989/detail.html

maestrowork
08-15-2008, 05:13 AM
I don't understand why people think it can't be true. Anything is possible. Our ancestors may have split off during evolution and there are still many undeveloped lands (such as near Eureka in NoCal) that may be a safe haven for these creatures.

Actually it's not the first time they've found DNA. But without a body, it's difficult to prove anything. I'd like to see them come up with the body. That would just be incredible and prove it once and for all. If they'd indeed found the body, it must be under great security right now because it's a huge find.

emeraldcite
08-15-2008, 05:14 AM
Yeah, well they also run a Bigfoot tracking service and tours...

methinks a publicity stunt for their business.

goatmam
08-15-2008, 05:16 AM
According to what I am hearing there is a body? Maybe I understood wrong?

maestrowork
08-15-2008, 05:25 AM
Yeah, well they also run a Bigfoot tracking service and tours...

methinks a publicity stunt for their business.

These people are very serious, though. They would not have claimed a find if it weren't true, because they know it would be scrutinized. Some of these people have tried to track Bigfoot for decades.

According to what I am hearing there is a body? Maybe I understood wrong?

Yes, they claimed they found a body. And DNA tests are being conducted at this point.

goatmam
08-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Yes, they claimed they found a body. And DNA tests are being conducted at this point.

Okay then I am understanding correctly.

maestrowork
08-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Size 13 isn't THAT big. Not really.

Is 16.5" size 13? My brother wears size 13 and I don't think he has 16.5" feet.

Joe270
08-15-2008, 05:49 AM
Is it possible that Bigfoot might exist? I say, heck, yes, it's possible. I posted about researchers finding 125,000 gorillas in the Congo, quite a shocker there.

While gorillas are pretty secretive creatures, there could be even more elusive great apes out there.

There have been some very credible sightings of 'Bigfoot', probably the most credible was the capture of one by railroad workers in the late 1800's. The creature escaped the make-shift enclosure, but a lot of people saw it. Even game wardens have reported seeing 'big foot'. The latest analysis of the 1950's film show it to be very likely that the images are not a man in a monkey suit. I saw a show on it on the Discovery Channel, very interesting stuff.

Is it just some odd mutant which occurs occasionally and wanders around for a few years before dying off, I don't know. What could it be a mutant of, a bear?

That said, it takes a decent breeding population to keep a species from going extinct. That's a pretty big sticking point with an animal this large actually existing, especially over such a huge territory. There would have to be hundreds of thousands of them, so one would expect we'd see them much more often.

So, all that said, I remain very skeptical about the existence of 'Bigfoot'. I sure would like to see the evidence.

veinglory
08-15-2008, 05:58 AM
The question on the poll isn't whether it is possible--it is whether you think is true.

I think it is weird that 'anything is possble' is seen as rebutting the position that many things are sufficiently improbable that the null hypothesis is the more sensible choice.

maestrowork
08-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Well, we don't know if it's true until they have positive results from the tests. That's why they're doing DNA testing and forensics instead of just claiming it right now.

Anything else is just speculation at this point. I'm just saying if you say, "it can't be true because there's no such things as BigFoot" simply because of a null hypothesis. It's like saying, "the world can't be round. End of story." To me, the correct scientific approach is to assume anything is possible, then go ahead and prove or disapprove the hypothesis. I mean, people's immediate reaction is to ridicule it or to dismiss it outright. I'd rather leave it to the scientists to disprove it, if they must. Chances are it's a hoax or something, but I'm not going to just say, "no, it's a fake" now.

rugcat
08-15-2008, 06:04 AM
So, all that said, I remain very skeptical about the existence of 'Bigfoot'. I sure would like to see the evidence.Here it is:

http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=bigfoot-expert-weighs-in-im-extreme-2008-08-14

"I want to believe."

BenPanced
08-15-2008, 06:05 AM
It's so OBVIOUS! Bigfoot is Orlando Bloom wearing an eggplant costume!

Or is it the other way around?

emeraldcite
08-15-2008, 06:07 AM
I'm curious what the DNA testing will prove. Did they run it against known species? Are we just checking to make sure it's not human?

All very strange. I'll believe when I see it.

They're keeping the location of the find secret to "protect the other bigfoots." I'm thinking they're protecting their touring business...

all very curious to me. I've seen some interesting viral marketing campaigns. This could be another one.

emeraldcite
08-15-2008, 06:09 AM
From the article posted above...

I've had interactions with Tom Biscardi [the Bigfoot hunter holding the press conference] in the past, and based on that history, I would say that anything he is involved in is suspect.

veinglory
08-15-2008, 06:10 AM
I am not waiting with baited breath.

A never recorded breeding population of non-human hominids? Really? I mean that would be a mimium of 10 'foots through the middle of last century even if the population tanks recently to only one or two.

Anything else buys into the Barnum effect. I mean, it could be a real mermaid.

maestrowork
08-15-2008, 06:11 AM
Surely if it's revealed as a hoax, it wouldn't be good for their credibility or business, especially in a field where everything is scrutinized to the max. I don't know why anyone would make such a claim if they don't have any proofs.

rugcat
08-15-2008, 06:11 AM
It's so OBVIOUS! Bigfoot is Orlando Bloom wearing an eggplant costume!Or an eggplant wearing an Orlando Boom costume.

veinglory
08-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Surely if it's revealed as a hoax, it wouldn't be good for their credibility or business, especially in a field where everything is scrutinized to the max. I don't know why anyone would make such a claim if they don't have any proofs.

Because they are delusional?
Because they think they can fake it?
Because they think they can keep delaying the reveal and milk it for publicity?
Because they beleive it but someone conned them?
Because they found a decayed black bear and think a genetic test of 'not human' is conclusive?
Because they are doing the whole thing for laughs?
Because they have got someone in the media willing to pay a lot for an exclusive interview?

etc.

I have a wall full of books about UFOs, cattle mutilation and spontaneous combustion. This kind of scenario isn't even uncommon. But it is more often an 'alien autopsy video' then a revelation.

Unique
08-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Yes, I believe they are real. Probably not as many as there once were.

But hey - don't take my word for it; go ask the Salish or one of the other NA peoples from that area. Ask them if such a thing exists. They'd be in a better position to know since I've never lived there and they've been there a long, long time.

YMMV

jgold
08-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Anything is possible. We used to discuss the possibility of Bigfoot in my evolution class as "evidence" that perhaps Neanderthal man still existed.

But then one of my friends ruined it by saying that if Bigfoot were real, someone in Pennsylvania would have shot it already.

Which is true.

Silver King
08-15-2008, 06:27 AM
And now the latest: photographic evidence as seen earlier today in our Hairy Partner thread!

http://wumc.youth.googlepages.com/MessinWithSasquatch_2.jpg/MessinWithSasquatch_2-full.jpg

maestrowork
08-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Actually the field of Bigfoot research is taken very seriously -- a friend of mine is an anthropologist and into research Bigfoot and he's actually gone on one or two Bigfoot expeditions in Ohio and No.Cal. These people are not crazy, delusional people. Many of them are scientists and professionals. And they know how many fakes are out there and no one in their right mind would fake anything or do it for the media. Many have searched of Sasquatches for years, if not decades. They're not just some loony who claims to have seen Bigfoot.

There are of course real loonies and people who are delusional and believe in alien abduction and Bigfoot without one ounce of proof or evidence. But I think it's irresponsible to paint everyone, including the researchers, as a bunch of crazies. Not all of them are like Tom Biscardi, who is a known hoaxer in the community. He's been hated for many years -- people do know, and have proven that he's a hoaxer, and he's not trusted.

If Tom Biscardi is going to hold the conference and not show a body, then some may actually think that he's doing it deliberately to discredit the whole community and their researches.

Again, who knows? I'll just wait and see at the point.

Since I'm friends of Bigfoot researchers, I'd ask you kind folks not to make sweeping ridicules.

Thank you.

rugcat
08-15-2008, 06:34 AM
Anything is possible. We used to discuss the possibility of Bigfoot in my evolution class as "evidence" that perhaps Neanderthal man still existed.Except no fossil trace of Neanderthals has ever been found in the New World. And they averaged between 5''0" and 5'5" in height. Mini-Bigfeet? Bigfoots?

joyce
08-15-2008, 06:39 AM
I believe anything is possible. We are still finding whole tribes of people that have never seen outsiders before. We are still finding new species of insects and animals, so why not a Bigfoot? I'd love to belive it could be true, but then I wish Santa was real too.:)

Silver King
08-15-2008, 06:45 AM
...Since I'm friends of Bigfoot researchers, I'd ask you kind folks not to make sweeping ridicules.

Thank you.
Oops, too late. The photo I shared appears above that request...

As you know, asking folks to stop making "sweeping ridicules" in this forum about any topic will usually have the opposite effect. It's the nature of the bigfoot beast, so to speak. ;)

jgold
08-15-2008, 07:03 AM
Except no fossil trace of Neanderthals has ever been found in the New World. And they averaged between 5''0" and 5'5" in height. Mini-Bigfeet? Bigfoots?

You're right, of course. If there is a Bigfoot, Yeti, Sasquatch or Wildman, then it's unlikely to be the descendant of Neanderthal man, but more likely to be descended from Gigantopithecus, which was freaking huge.

I'm just saying that we discussed the possibility in class, that's all...

Snowstorm
08-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Actually the field of Bigfoot research is taken very seriously -- a friend of mine is an anthropologist and into research Bigfoot and he's actually gone on one or two Bigfoot expeditions in Ohio and No.Cal. These people are not crazy, delusional people. Many of them are scientists and professionals. ... There are of course real loonies and people who are delusional and believe in alien abduction and Bigfoot without one ounce of proof or evidence. But I think it's irresponsible to paint everyone, including the researchers, as a bunch of crazies. ... Since I'm friends of Bigfoot researchers, I'd ask you kind folks not to make sweeping ridicules.

I agree Maestro. I have a friend who is a wildlife biologist who is involved in the North American Ape Project (searching for proof to prove or disprove Bigfoot). My friend and his colleagues are extremely intelligent and sincere in their work nor would they compromise research for glory or notoriety. Just the facts is all he seeks. He presents his facts and he lets you make up your own mind. My husband didn't believe in Bigfoot until talking with this man. We've had credible (Note the distinction credible) sightings ten miles from here. We've watched a few tidbits how he conducts his research. Now my husband's convinced (as I am).

jannawrites
08-15-2008, 07:39 AM
All very strange. I'll believe when I see it.

I agree.

It'd be exciting and scary. And spooky. Very spooky. I guess we'll know in mere hours.

ETA: Here (http://www.searchingforbigfoot.com/) are the "pictures."

goatmam
08-15-2008, 07:42 AM
It's so OBVIOUS! Bigfoot is Orlando Bloom wearing an eggplant costume!

Or is it the other way around?

Totally the other way around. It's an eggplant wearing an Orlando Bloom costume!

emeraldcite
08-15-2008, 08:19 AM
I agree.

It'd be exciting and scary. And spooky. Very spooky. I guess we'll know in mere hours.

Yeah, I've seen the pictures. What I guess I meant was that I'll believe it when I hear conclusive evidence from genuine scientists concerning this thing. When someone I can trust who would publish their findings in a peer-reviewed journal of some notoriety, I'll start to believe that they found bigfoot.

Now, I'm not arguing the existence of bigfoot. I just think this is a publicity stunt. The thing is, I now know of a service that I didn't know about prior to this story, so I figure that's effective advertising. Even if it is proved to be a hoax, they'll still bring in people who won't believe the scientists or claim that it's a gov't coverup.

Roswell makes a pretty good living on unsubstantiated claims.

kristie911
08-15-2008, 08:50 AM
No, but I believe in Orlando Bloom. :D

JimmyB27
08-15-2008, 01:11 PM
I agree.

And on the page showing the picture - "Please visit our Shopping For Bigfoot store".

Hmmm, my spidey sense is tingling.

Priene
08-15-2008, 02:48 PM
publish their findings in a peer-reviewed journal of some notoriety, I'll start to believe that they found bigfoot.

That's the heart of the matter. Publish your findings and let other scientists have a poke around. Until that point, there's no reliable way to weed out the crazies.

Unique
08-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Believe or not as you choose, of course ....
but I read this recently:

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][I]We had brought some pemmican, and I had my ball with me, because we intended to stay all day. The sun was past the middle when we began to dig with a root-digger at the bottom of the cliff. We were not looking for any particular thing. We were only playing. But our playing stopped suddenly when, in t digging, we brought up a man’s skull that was twice as large as that of any living man; and with it there were neck-bones that were larger than a man’s wrist.

“We ran away from that place, and I was first to run. The size of the skull frightened me. Upon reaching our village I told my father what we had found. He said that he wanted to see the skull. We took him to the place, sitting off quite a distance while my father smoked with the skull. He said it was a medicine-skull, and powerful. While we girls watched him my father wrapped the great skull in a buffalo robe and buried it.

“It was Shows-the-lizard who dug up that skull; and we found the blackened sticks of an old fire there, too. Yes,” she said, thoughtfully, “I believe that another kind of people once lived on this world before we came here. This big skull was not at all like our skulls. Even though I did not stay there very long I noticed that it’s seam ran from front to back, straight, with no divisions.

This was first published in 1932. The woman relating her experience was about 80 years old at the time. She found this with her friends as a young girl ~ 10 or 11 years old.

I know what *I* think; what do you think? And no, it's not Bigfoot I'm thinking of ... it something else. "...and there were giants in those days..."

It doesn't really matter much to me. Obviously they don't 'exist' anymore ... or do they?

One does ponder such things ... at least I do. YMMV

kct webber
08-15-2008, 04:40 PM
I believe in Crystal Lite and I believe in me.

Bad KTC! Bad!

*hits nose with news paper*

Unique
08-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Really. It's peanut butter and Peter Pan. Get with the decade you belong in KTC. ;)

WendyNYC
08-15-2008, 04:46 PM
All I have to say is...it better be real. It's getting tiresome to see hoaxes being reported as if they were newsworthy. It's on the CNN homepage now. But then again, so are these stories:

Is that a Bigfoot carcass in the freezer? 40 min

Ed McMahon's mansion saved by 'The Donald'

Cinderella, others arrested at Disneyland

Can't make funeral? Catch it on Web

iReport.com: Are you overworked?

He gave her an STD -- she sues for $25M

Walking trick could cut your belly fat

regdog
08-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Sure why not. I'll believe it. :Thumbs:

Shadow_Ferret
08-15-2008, 05:27 PM
He is real. I seen the Zapruder film.

Two Northern California men and two Georgians ...
Two Georgians. Shouldn't they be back home battling the Russians?

veinglory
08-15-2008, 06:01 PM
We found whole tribes of people up until the 70s, in the Amazon rainforest. This is more on the scale of finding a dinosaur in Loch Ness. I'm with Wendy and Preine.

Shadow_Ferret
08-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Once, while on a journey to the Siberian north, I became disengaged from my wayward shadow.
Yeah, but I made it back to civilization anyway, KTC!

Thank goodness bigfoot and the yeti found me.

triceretops
08-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Well, with a costume/suit that reportedly looks like the suspect animal (with a piece of beef jerky sticking out of its mouth), and a brother who lied about being a scientist, and the constant barrage of "We are the best trackers in Georgia--visit our website), this is looking more and more like a fraud. Oh, not to mention a cop who shoots himself in the line of duty--whatsupwiththat?

Press conference today? I'm all eyes and ears on this one.

Tri

Priene
08-15-2008, 07:53 PM
This is more on the scale of finding a dinosaur in Loch Ness.

My Dad spent much of his childhood in Inverness and he completely believed in the existence of the Monster. Which I always found strange because to my knowledge not a single Plesiosaur corpse has ever washed up at Invermoriston Point.

Robert Toy
08-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Photo proof of BIG foot

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_02/HiltonFootMTX_468x730.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-531568/Freaky-feet-Paris-Hilton-reveals-terrifying-size-11s.html&h=730&w=468&sz=32&tbnid=RuKRGQSy88YJ::&tbnh=141&tbnw=90&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dparis%2Bhilton%2527s%2Bfeet&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image&cd=1

Shadow_Ferret
08-15-2008, 08:03 PM
You know, this whole thread is bringing back suppressed childhood memories of my father cruely calling me big foot.

Little did I realize that years later many women would find that a positive asset.

Tink
08-15-2008, 08:07 PM
So are you gonna tell us how tall you are now?

Shadow_Ferret
08-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Ferrets generally run about 17 to 24 inches in length, why?

Priene
08-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Ferrets generally run about 17 to 24 inches in length, why?

Are you speaking euphemistically, or is that head-to-foot?

Shadow_Ferret
08-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I think the measurement is taken head to tail.

And I'm not touching any euphemisms with a 10-foot pole.

J. Weiland
08-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Bigfoot may exist, but it's certainly not that monkey suit with the pig intestines on it in the freezer.

Unique
08-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Were you reading my mind!?

Of course I was Kevin. Why act so surprised? You know we're like that.
We just are.

Deal, McSqueal.

heyoka, hey!

Joe270
08-16-2008, 12:59 AM
I missed the press conference, damn it. What the heck happened?

Obviously nothing much, or one of these dang news channels would have something on the press conference. Nada, zilch.

Even if these guys are perpetrating a hoax it still proves nothing one way or the other about the existence of these creatures.

DL Hegel
08-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Bigfoot may have been found. Maybe. We'll see.
Two Northern California men and two Georgians say they've got a body, a photo and DNA evidence pertaining to the elusive forest-dwelling man-ape and that they'll reveal all at a press conference in Palo Alto, Calif., on Friday.
foxnews.com

So I first stumbled upon this news story on news radio on my way to work today and decided to check into it... Now what I want to know is what do you all think?

Here is linkage for you.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/17174989/detail.html
anyone who has seen my brothers' feet or any professional basketball players---would say yes--big feet exist---where am i?

emeraldcite
08-16-2008, 01:02 AM
I missed the press conference, damn it. What the heck happened?

According to an article I just read on the conference, a whole lotta nothing happened.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080815/BLOG01/80815083/1011/NEWS09

sounds hoaxish to me...

Joe270
08-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Yep, it ain't passing the smell test yet.

anyone who has seen my brothers' feet or any professional basketball players---would say yes--big feet exist--

Michael Phelps is a bigfoot!

emeraldcite
08-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Yep, it ain't passing the smell test yet.

Michael Phelps is a bigfoot!

And if these two guys found Phelps, they'd claim they sighted Aquaman!

DL Hegel
08-16-2008, 01:08 AM
When dinosaurs roamed the earth... i was a child--in the midwest--they had news casts on something called MO-MO the monster(which was suppose to be a bigfoot) it was pretty funny. I am not sure if they proved hoax or not. But the news casts were ridiculous. here's a link if you are interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momo_the_Monster

Joe270
08-16-2008, 04:27 AM
something called MO-MO the monster(which was suppose to be a bigfoot) it was pretty funny

Momo seems to fall into the 'skunk ape' category of bigfoot. Bigfoots? Bigfeet? Bigsfoot?

goatmam
08-16-2008, 04:36 AM
Being I lived in Missouri and now Florida I've heard of both mo mo and skunk ape... They just sound like bigfoot with a bit of tweaking?

The photo they released btw is repulsive.

Joe270
08-16-2008, 04:58 AM
They just sound like bigfoot with a bit of tweaking?

Bigfoot with really, really bad halitosis?

Joycecwilliams
08-16-2008, 05:32 AM
I don't understand why people think it can't be true. Anything is possible. Our ancestors may have split off during evolution and there are still many undeveloped lands (such as near Eureka in NoCal) that may be a safe haven for these creatures.

Actually it's not the first time they've found DNA. But without a body, it's difficult to prove anything. I'd like to see them come up with the body. That would just be incredible and prove it once and for all. If they'd indeed found the body, it must be under great security right now because it's a huge find.

I agree with you...

Matera the Mad
08-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Everybody seems to be stumbling on (or over) this craptale today. Funny, when the @55holes are supposed to have found the rotting remains two months ago. People think what is true? Some fairytale lost hominid BS with no proof of anything, ever. Whooptie-poop. Those Georgia crackers have had their moment in the sun of gullibility. It's time to flush, the water is very brown.

triceretops
08-16-2008, 06:16 AM
I lived in Rogers Ak about the time when the Fouke monster began to stir things up. Better known as the Legend of Bogey Creek.

Tri

Silver King
08-16-2008, 06:19 AM
One of the recurring themes I keep hearing in this discussion is that "anything is possible." Maybe so, but in what context? Say I go to sleep tonight and wake up on Jupiter tomorrow. I live there for a week, and when I return to earth, no one believes where I've been. I recount my adventures to a skeptical audience, but to no avail. And since I have no data from my experience, no physical evidence from my ordeal, I expect everyone to believe, "Hey, anything is possible."

Bullshit.

Life requires a sustainable number of breeding pairs to propagate the species. The vast land areas separating sightings would suggest a successful, thriving creature that roams at least one continent. If that's the case, then where are the carcasses of dead creatures? Surely, one of them would've turned up by now. And how come there is such scant video or photographic "evidence" available of live or dead creatures?

If you ever want to see something truly other-worldly, in terms of shapes and sizes and colors never imagined, deep sea exploration reveals stunning creatures that make Bigfoot pale by comparison. And those animals are real, cataloged and photographed as new species are discovered almost daily miles under the oceans' surfaces.

rhymegirl
08-16-2008, 06:31 AM
If you ever want to see something truly other-worldly, in terms of shapes and sizes and colors never imagined, deep sea exploration reveals stunning creatures that make Bigfoot pale by comparison.

Like Mermaids?

triceretops
08-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Mmmmm....maids of the Mer.

Tri:)

Tornadoboy
08-16-2008, 06:36 AM
I think that picture which has been circulating is nothing more than Rosie O'Donnell passed out drunk.

Sorry, I guess that's an insult to primates everywhere.

Actually I'd love nothing better than to have Bigfoot proven to exist, but given how coy these jokers are being I think they're either crazy or full of crap.

Do I think they exist?

Maybe, or at least I'm open to the possibility. But it seems very unlikely since in all this time nobody has actually brought back a live or dead one, and with all the scientists whom have made sincere attempts at finding them it seems to me it would have happened by now.

Me and a co-worker were joking about this subject earlier, and about the possibility that "bigfoot" is nothing but a very hairy, inbred guy. I had visions of a future National Geographic episode where they study a colony of Bigfeet deep in the woods.

Them sitting around playing the banjo, having it found out that they are responsible for all the local stop signs being shot, and having them translated as saying "Ya know, that camera man sure has a purdy mouth!"

emeraldcite
08-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Being I lived in Missouri and now Florida I've heard of both mo mo and skunk ape... They just sound like bigfoot with a bit of tweaking?

The photo they released btw is repulsive.

I thought mo mo and skunk ape were street names for Marijuana...

LloydBrown
08-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Okay, I'll have to chime in and say I'm skeptical of any Bigfoots. Here's why.

The fossa.

Here's this little cat-sized bugger that people thought was actually related to cats. It lives on Madagascar and is rumored to be nocturnal, but nobody's seen one in dozens of years. An expedition gets funded, camps out for two weeks and comes back with videotape. It turns out it's a vivverid, and all the mystery's gone because it's been studied so thoroughly since.

Two guys, one camera, two weeks, and bingo. Bigfoot? Hundreds of guys, hundreds of cameras, lots of interest. Plus, international fame and riches for the first guy to succeed. The guys who found the fossa probably got an article in Nature. No national recognition. No payday.

OTOH, if you can keep 125,000 gorillas out of sight until 2008, it might be possible to hide a breeding colony of Bigfoots. I'm dubious, though. Heck, they're big enough to show up on Google maps.

Shadow_Ferret
08-16-2008, 09:22 AM
C'mon, people. Haven't anyone seen those beef jerky commercials. He exists.

Unique
08-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Well, they say it is a hoax and secretly (or not so secretly) I'm glad. They are said to be very shy creatures - can you imagine them being hounded by the parparazzii?

'Tell me, Mr. Bigfoot, what's it like living deep in the woods? Mrs. Bigfoot, now that you've been found, will you be sending your children to public schools? How do you think they'll fit in there?'

>>>Hurl<<<

Good on ya, big guy. Stay hidden.
And to the hoaxers - FOAD

goatmam
08-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Bigfoot with really, really bad halitosis?

That's it exactly lol

benbradley
08-20-2008, 02:07 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/19/bigfoot.hoax/index.html

The Bigfoot in the freezer is made of rubber, a Web posting asserted Tuesday.
The frozen creature reputed to be Bigfoot turned out to be made of rubber, an enthusaist reports.

Silver King
08-20-2008, 03:30 AM
How shocking to discover the frozen carcass turned out to be nothing more than a hairy costume. :rolleyes:

But remember, anything is possible, so there might actually be an authentic Bigfoot creature inside the costume still waiting to be discovered...

mscelina
08-20-2008, 03:47 AM
Me too. Can't beat the price--a buck fifty for all that meat?!?!? outstanding! A little stringy, but that's to be expected after being stuck in the freezer for so long. I'm sure you understand...

mscelina
08-20-2008, 03:54 AM
The planet of Ohio. It's a scary place. We actually have to IMPORT our Bigfeet, can you believe it.

it's not really selling well as a delicacy, though. I'm thinking of opening up a barbecue place featuring only Bigfoot on the menu. Should be successful 'round these here parts, I'm thinking. All you have to do is barbecue something in SE Ohio and people will line up to pay big bucks in order to eat it...

veinglory
10-21-2008, 05:50 PM
And the results are in

Because they think they can fake it?<--this
Because they are doing the whole thing for laughs?<--this
Because they have got someone in the media willing to pay a lot for an exclusive interview?<--not quite right, it was because they can sell the fake for thousands

"Thawed Out 'Bigfoot' Is Rubber Suit ... Eaton, Ind., resident William Lett, who gave Biscardi $50,000 to buy the alleged corpse"

So, interesting that those who thought it really might be bigfoot didn't really follow up on what it turned out to be?

Pagey's_Girl
10-21-2008, 06:21 PM
And now the latest: photographic evidence as seen earlier today in our Hairy Partner thread!

http://wumc.youth.googlepages.com/MessinWithSasquatch_2.jpg/MessinWithSasquatch_2-full.jpg

That looks just like the guy who own the deli up the street. He makes a mean buffalo chicken wrap, though...

And now I'm hungry.

Bartholomew
10-28-2008, 02:12 AM
I didn't see this footage listed in the thread, so I thought I'd add it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ByWc5hTgBk

As far as I know, the Patterson/Gimlin Film has never been discredited. If the bigfoot in their film is a man in costume, it is a costume that Disney and BBC could neither one replicate, and the actor has remarkably long, skinny arms.

The thing about the footage that makes me believe it is real, and gives me hope that bigfoot may exist, is how the biped in the footage turns. He doesn't turn his head, as a human would. He turns with his entire waist, like a gorilla.

-B

LloydBrown
10-28-2008, 08:40 AM
I've seen a version of the P/G video that was stabilized, centered on the "Bigfoot". So the walking stays centered while the borders of the image are what's moving all around. It walks just like a dude in a suit and turns its head like a guy with a sore neck. Or an uncomfortable suit.

DL Hegel
10-28-2008, 09:00 AM
I wish there was a maybe? Even in the Midwest we had MoMo. I think it is possible.

wannawrite
05-11-2009, 10:04 PM
I believe. In southern Mo. there have been reports of Mo-mo man sightings. I'm serious. Look it up on wickipedia (sp) I want to go mo-mo hunting, anyone with me?

*cue scene from Beauty and the Beast, the one with enraged peasants holding torches and pitchforks high*

But, seriously, I do believe.

Canotila
06-17-2009, 09:25 PM
I have lived in the Pacific Northwest all my life, and do believe sasquatch is real.

Around here, there are quite a few people who do see them, but never say anything for fear of ridicule. Once in a while if you get people going you can get stories out of them. These people are lawyers, police officers, and the type to not make weird things up, and they are generally reluctant to tell. My brother was chased by one in the Olympic mountains once, it threw logs at him. He was so scared by it that he never went back. Ever. There are literally millions of acres around here that are untouched, nobody lives in, and nobody hikes in. Southwest Washington is a crazy unaccessable mountain swamp, with no roads or houses. My best friend lives on the Black river, right on the fringes, and just around her house we have seen a wolverine, a herd of mountain sheep, regular brown cougars, black cougars, elk, and a spotted owl (I watched it eat her pet duck in a tree about 6 feet over my head). That is only on the fringe, there is no doubt in my mind that there are sasquatch deeper in that area.

When I was in middle school I got to go to the Makah reservation, and meet Isabel Ides, who was 104 years old at the time and the matriarch of the tribe. She was telling us stories, legends, etc. and the anthropology professors with us were writing them down like mad. When it was time to ask questions, I asked her if she had ever seen a bigfoot.

She told me that she had never seen one herself, but that when she was a child there was an incident where someone kept breaking into their smokehouse and stealing the salmon out of it. Her big brothers got very angry, and decided to camp overnight in the smokehouse and catch whoever it was that was stealing and beat the snot out of them. The salmon was the bulk of their winter food storage, and the boys had spent weeks netting salmon, cleaning, and smoking them.

The following morning they walked in the door, with lumps on their heads and "funny drawings on their faces". Her oldest brother said that a sasquatch had come into the smokehouse, knocked them all out, and then used the charcoal in the smokehouse to draw circles around their eyes and mouths.

She said everybody laughed at them. They were ashamed and never went back to stop the salmon thief after that. Even though the salmon thefts continued.

spamwarrior
06-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Who knows? I keep thinking about a nice bigfoot who likes children.

Button
06-17-2009, 11:15 PM
'Cause you know, there's proof out there about such things. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sARqCa5Cqu4)

Button
06-17-2009, 11:21 PM
All I say to things like this is, until the day I know everything, I'll be open minded about anything. Nothing is impossible.

spamwarrior
06-17-2009, 11:42 PM
That picture looks like Chewie.

brainstorm77
06-17-2009, 11:46 PM
I believe anything is possible. We are still finding whole tribes of people that have never seen outsiders before. We are still finding new species of insects and animals, so why not a Bigfoot? I'd love to belive it could be true, but then I wish Santa was real too.:)

Anything is possible. I mean sometimes dogs even wear wigs :tongue

cray
06-17-2009, 11:56 PM
oh dear, not this thread again,........

bettielee
06-17-2009, 11:59 PM
ah yes, the proof of bigfoot.

Same guys telling the same lies they did a few years ago, just a few years later.

And now we have raised up its ugly head again.

I voted "yes" by the way

NeuroFizz
06-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Snipe hunting will never go out of style.

aadams73
06-18-2009, 12:30 AM
That looks just like the guy who own the deli up the street. He makes a mean buffalo chicken wrap, though...

And now I'm hungry.

Me too. But can I have mine without a side of body hair?