How to break in ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

Registered
Reaction score
My friend is a great artist whose mother has written a children's book. My friend of course would like to be the illustrator, but it seems like most publishing houses have their illustrators in house already. How could she break into the illustrating side of children's books and be able to illustrate this book I've mentioned?

Shane

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
My friend illustrates for Harper Collins and Simon and Shuster. If my mss. was picked up by one of them (still keeping my fingers crossed), she can't illustrate for me; she gets chosen to whom she can do illustrations for. It's a match-up. Self-publishing would be the only way I can see that she can illustrate her mother's book. Now, if her mother was a very famous children's author already (or celebrity), and had some pull and the publishers loved the daughters illustrations, then maybe it could happen.

jimflint1

Registered
Reaction score
I was afraid of that. Any suggestions for how she can break into the illustrating business in the first place? I know, this is a writing site, so there might not be too many here who have that kind of knowledge.

Shane

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
If she's interested in book illustration, she should ring up publishing companies and ask to whom she should send a sample of her work. Character-led work is preferred.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
If she's interested in doing children's illustrations, she could start by showing samples of her work to publishers of children's catalogues. My friend started out by having her illustrations in an upscale children's clothing and toy catalogue. Then she got an agent in NYC who deals only with illustrators. That's when she started getting work with the children's book publishers. But that's one example.

Here's a link that I should have thought of before. It's for children's writer's and illustrators. http://www.scbwi.org They have boards devoted to illustrators, but you have to be a member. She can be an associate, but it costs about $75 per year.

Then there's the 2005 Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market which is a thick book listing a lot of places that would look at illustrations.

dsorceress

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! what a helpful reply! And I'm sure you don't mind if I make use of it too, eh? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.