• Eggplants

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
No boss. Sorry.

If I had a boss, though, um, no. Because I don't have a myspace or facebook page to friend them to.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Now what if your boss "friends" you? Would you:

a) ignore the request?
b) decline?
c) cancel the account altogether?
d) wipe out all the naughty things you've said and accept?
e) accept but never log on again?

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're assuming that I've ever been to one of those places. LOL! I don't even do the LJ thing. I barely know what "friending" is.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
don't accept. if it ever comes up, lie and say you don't ever log on to your account these days!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
What an interesting and creepy question. I guess it would depend on the level of bossness. And it would depend on what my social interaction in RL was with them.

I was friends with one of my bosses. He was the manager, his father owned the company. We had a lot of common interests. Him I'd probably have friended.

Most of my other bosses, No.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have either account. But from my understanding of them, I might for facebook.

It would also depend on why I was using said account for. I found an old X in facebook and it looked like he was using it specifically to network with other people in the field he works in, so I would guess he would friend his boss. (am I thinking of LinkedIN instead of facebook?)

If I was using the accounts for strictly personal reasons, probably not.

ETA: No, I didn't contact the guy. I just was curious.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
you people who don't have a boss.

doesn't that mean you are your own boss?

So- would you 'friend' yourself?

Sass- being a smart ass.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Now what if your boss "friends" you? Would you:

a) ignore the request?
b) decline?
c) cancel the account altogether?
d) wipe out all the naughty things you've said and accept?
e) accept but never log on again?

d)
Then I would start a different account for family and close friends.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I "friended" my boss on MySpace. But we have an interesting working relationship. We started at the same time, he had more experience so he moved up the ranks and is now the director (we have a board of directors that acts as his "boss"). I'm now a supervisor. As is his wife. Yeah, we're kind of a tight knit group. :) We do hang out outside of work but the MySpace thing is for friend stuff...if it's work related, we keep it separate. It's an interesting relationship but we make it work pretty smoothly. :)

nicolen

Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right and straight on till morn
Given that a lot of my work-related rants on LJ refer to my boss as "scumbag boss", hell no.

Actually, even if I had a boss that I got on with, I wouldn't friend them. If only because it's great to have a place to rant where there is little chance of it getting back to them, thanks to friendslock. I haven't friended my family for much the same reason - they know I've got an LJ, they read the public posts, but I'm not giving them access to my locked posts where I do let off a bit of steam from time to time. There are a few posts there that would offend or hurt them, and I'm not going to do that...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't MySpace or Facebook

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I'm too anti-social for "social" networking sites-- but if I bumped into my boss online, my reaction would have a lot to do with which boss and what my relationship is. I have one (now former) boss who became my friend. Until the jerk went and moved to Georgia...

I also don't do anything online that I'm ashamed to own up, too. Though some of my stories have totally changed the idea peopl have/had about me... don't trust the quiet ones. =)

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I don't have a boss either at this stage, so it's hard to say. I had an interesting conversation with someone over something similar to this. Would you 'friend' your father/ mother/daughter/son? Some of my facebook friends are in their low 20's and their parents are also on facebook. The question that was raised was "do you, as a parent, really want to see on facebook, photos of your child drunk at a party or swearing on someone's wall?" Do you really want to know what they're up to?

Okay, I've just derailed this thread a little bit, but I guess it's the same with the boss thing, really. Do you not say what you really think? Do you imagine who might end up reading something you're putting up?

One of my friends said to me "you can never really be yourself on facebook."

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
On a social network like MySpace or Facebook
The day I friend my boss on Facebook is the day I want her to know I'm a giant loser.

Aka, never.

(I don't know how that translates to "Eggplants" but that's how I voted.
)

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Hmmm... allegedly, you can never be yourself on facebook (et all.) Then, if *I* can, then does that just mean I'm even more square than I previously thought? I think I like that. ;-)

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
not my mom, noy my favoritest boss, not my most awesomesauce professor whom I worship with all the adulation that comes from a die-hard devotee. If they are old enough to have given birth to me, or have ever been in a power situation over me where my life/paycheck/grades depended on them, forget it.

Ol' 61

Registered
Reaction score
Orlando Bloom. <G>

I would not friend my boss. Most of the people i work with are afraid of MySpace, so I haven't mentioned it to them. I have a myspace, but I haven't looked at it in over a month. I'm thinking I want to re-do it somehow, but haven't had the time to invest in it. If you want to see just how big of a dork I really am:

http://www.myspace.com/cecistelle

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, hell to the no.

I believe in keeping some distance from the people at work. They know the details about me that I let them know because I believe if you tell them too much and get too close to one another, you start to lose a certain amount objectivity that's necessary at work. You start going to Happy Hour after work on Friday. You become too friendly and anybody not in your little circle will become THE ENEMY. They'll turn the smallest issue you bring up into character assassination and wonder why you're out to get them. Answers to questions will then become monosyllabic and extracting information they decide to hide from you will turn into a major archeological expedition. They now know the most intimate details about you and will not hesitate to use them against you when it serves their purpose or because they're bored and need a laugh.

Think I'm being paranoid? This is the job I left back in 1994 with nothing more lined up than the possibility of an assignment (maybe) with a temp agency.