PDA

View Full Version : If you knew that you would never be published...

Jenifer
08-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Would you continue to write?

Where is publication on your list of priorities? :e2tongue:

C.bronco
08-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Of course. I'd live in denial. Then I'd start a publishing house and publish myself, along with other swell folks.

Williebee
08-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Sure, I'd still write. I'd just produce all of it online.

Maybe a couple of chapbooks.

Stew21
08-14-2008, 10:32 PM
I would continue to write. I write it because I love it, not just to achieve publication. I wrote long before I ever thought I would even attempt to get published. It would be nice and I hope to achieve it, but it certainly isn't going to prevent me from ever writing again if I found out I would never be published.

Jenifer
08-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Of course. I'd live in denial. Then I'd start a publishing house and publish myself, along with other swell folks.

Cheater. ;)

jkcates
08-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Well, I am not published now.....

and considering the odds against ever being so, then every day that I continue answers the question

maestrowork
08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Of course. I wrote before I thought I could be published, and I'm still writing not knowing if I would continue to get published. Nothing changes.

And like C.bronco, I'd just start my own publishing company anyway. Best of both worlds.

escritora
08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
No

Jenifer
08-14-2008, 10:41 PM
I enjoy exploring the story for the first time as much or more than I enjoy reading, even from my favorite authors... so for me, it's a silly question. But I've been struck lately by the things that seem to motivate (and demotivate ;)) people.

Here's another question: if you knew that no one else would ever read your work, would you continue to write?

Stew21
08-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Yes to that one too. for a long time I wrote and never let anyone see it. I still took pleasure it putting down the words. Even without an audience.

gypsyscarlett
08-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Of course. I've been writing since I was about 6 years old. I love it too much to ever stop.

And even if I knew my novel would never be published- at least I could give it to friends and family. If my mom thought the things I wrote when I was eight were "genius"- wait til she sees what I can do now! I mean, she's my mother. If I can't trust her to be objective....uh...never mind.

jkcates
08-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Yes to that one too. for a long time I wrote and never let anyone see it. I still took pleasure it putting down the words. Even without an audience.

Seconded,

I STILL write without really showing many people. Some day I might think about sending something out..... maybe. (I should put that in my will)

Jersey Chick
08-14-2008, 11:03 PM
I would. I have stories on my computer that I wrote for me, knowing there's an excellent chance they will never see the inside of an editor's office. I like them - and every so often, I open them and reread. I still like them. I just don't think they're publishable.

quickWit
08-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Yes. I'd just be less concerned with speling.

Mr. Anonymous
08-14-2008, 11:07 PM
I'd self-publish.

Cranky
08-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Yep, I'd still write. I'd love to be published and read by complete strangers, sure, but I write because I'd go a little nutty (more than I am now, yes) if I didn't.

DeleyanLee
08-14-2008, 11:10 PM
I've thought about this on and off for the last thirty-four years since getting my first rejection letter.

Writing is one of the most enjoyable and challenging things I do, so I don't think I'd ever give it up. I mean, 34 years without my definition of success and I'm still doing it. What's another 34 years of the status quo?

Now, if I knew I'd never publish, I'd probably change what I wrote and the amount of effort and time I put into it. There are venues open to me (such as fanfic) that will give me some measure of "fame" within a smaller group that are very gratifying which I'd probably pursue more than I do now. I might consider going in on an online publishing venture a couple of friends are contemplating. There are options, but not ones I'll consider now because I still have some delusion about getting a meaningful contract somewhen.

So, writing: definitely. Just not what I'm spending my time on presently.

Bubastes
08-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Yes. I've been writing since I was 6 and didn't even think about publication until 7 years ago. This may sound weird, but for the longest time I didn't think of stories as things that real people wrote. I mean, intellectually I knew that someone had to write those stories, but I didn't make the connection between the writing they did and the writing I was doing. Once I realized that publication was something I might be able to accomplish for myself, then I started working toward it. But I write because it's fun, first and foremost.

WendyNYC
08-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Yep, but I'd switch to short stories and flash fiction exclusively.

Deccydiva
08-14-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't accept that I will never be published, that's the challenge that keeps me going! :idea:
Also, I get frustrated when I pick up books and find them to be lacking in some way that I find annoying and there is the second challenge of producing something better.
My first book is self-published but with an exceptionally good publisher of this type and the book has had great reviews. It will be available in a well-known chain of bookstores in the UK and Ireland by the end of the year. I've been interviewed on live radio and given at talk about it at a major event in Dublin and enjoyed every minute. This tiny glimpse of what being published could be like has spurred me on to try and get an Agent or publisher interested so that I am "properly" published for future projects. I might be banging my head against a brick wall for the next year or two but I'll have fun trying! :Hammer: I think.

sassandgroove
08-14-2008, 11:34 PM
If you knew that you would never be published... Would you continue to write?

I pretty much operate under that assumption. I write because I like it and i get grumpy when I don't. I do hope I'll be published, but that is a secondary goal.

Alpha Echo
08-14-2008, 11:44 PM
I would think that if anybody says no to this question, they're writing for the wrong reasons, and their chances of being published are less than someone who writes for the pure passion and love of it. In art, and writing is an art form, don't you think that people must have a passion for what they're doing?

I used to dance. For 15 years, I competed in regional and national competitions under a bunch of genres. When you saw someone up on stage dancing without passion - technically they were a genious maybe, but they didn't light up the stage, they were missing that...UMPH - you could see it! And that person inevitably would not win. They were missing an energy, a purpose in their movements.

I feel that writing would be that way too.

Besides that, from what I hear writing is not necessarily a lucrative occupation, so why would anyone write just for the money?

I have been writing since I knew how to write. I will keep writing whether or not I get published, whether or not anyone reads it. If I never get published, I will probably self-publish so I can hold the finished product, cover and all, in my hands. But I will keep writing. I've always loved manipulating the English language, using it to express my thoughts and feelings, yearnings, joys, and pains. And I always will. :)

Aglaia
08-14-2008, 11:53 PM
This may sound weird, but for the longest time I didn't think of stories as things that real people wrote. I mean, intellectually I knew that someone had to write those stories, but I didn't make the connection between the writing they did and the writing I was doing. Once I realized that publication was something I might be able to accomplish for myself, then I started working toward it. But I write because it's fun, first and foremost.
I feel the same way. I've been writing off and on since I was a wee thing (recently dug up a picture book I wrote at a *very* young age, LOL), but I didn't start writing seriously until - looks at join date - hmm, May 2008. :D And since then, I've been happier and generally less likely to scream at people while driving home from my crappy day job. So, would I like to get published? Yes, sure. But I also find myself excited to get back to my characters and see what they're up to. Just as much as if I were reading somebody else's novel. And that's pretty cool.

Old Hack
08-15-2008, 12:00 AM
I write with no thought of publication.

I have done so for years.

And yet, I still get published.

Funny, that.

roseangel
08-15-2008, 12:11 AM
yes, I would still write. I can't help it, if I don't write I can't sleep well.

Sophia
08-15-2008, 12:19 AM
No, I wouldn't. Publication is the goal - if I knew that I would definitely never write anything that would be published, or that anyone would ever read, there would be no point to it, for me.

I would think that if anybody says no to this question, they're writing for the wrong reasons, and their chances of being published are less than someone who writes for the pure passion and love of it. In art, and writing is an art form, don't you think that people must have a passion for what they're doing?

Besides that, from what I hear writing is not necessarily a lucrative occupation, so why would anyone write just for the money?

I can't see myself in what you say, here. I do have a passion for writing - there's nothing I'd rather do, and I have thrown myself into it for years. My reasons have nothing to do with money - why would you assume that is the only reason someone who answers "No" would have? My reasons are very personal: I want to be able to do something well in my life, and at the moment, writing is something that might possibly be that thing. If I knew it never would be, I'd be gutted, but I would look for something else to throw myself into. Writing for myself at that point would feel like a luxury, using time I can't afford to spend if I haven't achieved anything else.

Ugawa
08-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah, i'd still write as getting published is a lesser priority.

I just write because i love it and if i never get published then i would just post anything i write on the internet

XX

Kenzie
08-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Honestly? I probably wouldn't want to write. But I would miss it and probably regret it.

wrinkles
08-15-2008, 03:33 AM

I used to dance. For 15 years, I competed in regional and national competitions under a bunch of genres. When you saw someone up on stage dancing without passion - technically they were a genious maybe, but they didn't light up the stage, they were missing that...UMPH - you could see it! And that person inevitably would not win. They were missing an energy, a purpose in their movements.

I feel that writing would be that way too.

I have been writing since I knew how to write. I will keep writing whether or not I get published, whether or not anyone reads it. If I never get published, I will probably self-publish so I can hold the finished product, cover and all, in my hands. But I will keep writing. I've always loved manipulating the English language, using it to express my thoughts and feelings, yearnings, joys, and pains. And I always will. :)

No publication, no writing for me. Money doesn't enter into it. And I don't think your analogy is accurate. The dancer in your example had people watching her. Would she, would you, have danced for so long with no one watching?

KTC
08-15-2008, 03:38 AM
I always wrote. I wrote when I didn't know anybody could be published...when I was a kid who thought only the Gods were published. Seriously, I thought the writers were chosen drinkers of manna...me, published? That's impossible. I think I was reincarnated from the caste below the lowest caste ever created. Me? Right...

So, yes...I would write if somebody informed me I would never ever be published...I always believed I never ever would be.

C.M.C.
08-15-2008, 04:11 AM
Since I never bothered to think about the idea of publication until it was suggested to me, I would say yes, although I would probably only write short pieces.

Marian Perera
08-15-2008, 04:42 AM

Until the day I had no more stories to tell.

Neurotic
08-15-2008, 05:20 AM
I would keep writing. But I'd probably stop editing and rewriting and editing some more...

SPMiller
08-15-2008, 05:27 AM
This is an odd question. It takes as hypothesis that we know something that is unknowable. Therefore, it's moot. Not sure I like that.

But if it were somehow knowable by some stroke of magic, I'd keep writing--but I'd put a lot less work into it.

darrtwish
08-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Of course. I love to write, and I don't really expect great achievements like getting published. It probably wouldn't bother me that much if I never got published. I'd still write.

Enraptured
08-15-2008, 05:48 AM
Of course I'd still write. I was writing for years before I started seriously thinking about publication, and the stories themselves are still my highest priority.

Jenifer
08-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Of course it's moot. It's a question meant to prompt discussion and evaluation of your priorities. :)

CKing
08-15-2008, 06:34 AM
Yeah, and it would all be slimily filthy. In fact I'm going to pretend this as a way to delve even deeper into the nasty. No publish means no disapproval no self-editing nothing's outa bounds.

Writing's more like a tic. Spewing of a gargoyle. Story is all.

Never mind the attention-seeking clown aspect. Later with that.

Clair Dickson
08-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Since I'd rather not see my head explode from the build up ideas, I'd continue to write. Whether or not people would see it, is not as important. I clean when no one's coming over (understand, that my standards of cleaning are fairly low.) I would write if no one read it. The stories have to be told.

CBumpkin
08-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Nope. I wouldn't write anymore if I knew I could never be published. And it IS a matter of my priorities. My priority is to leave the 9 to 5 world forever. My priority would be to put time into doing something I know would help me achieve that. If not writing, then something else. I chose writing as my way to achieve that because I do enjoy writing. Every part of it from brainstorming to research to writing to rewriting.

But, I'm in it for the money. And not in a greedy way. If I could make $40,000 - $50,000 a year from my writing, that's enough for me. If I were rich, I'd end up giving most of it away anyway. I have no attachments to material possessions.

That said, the ultimate reason I write, then, is to achieve FREEDOM OF MY TIME! I hate having a company that doesn't care about me tell me what to do, how to do it, when to do it, and to do it faster and more often. Money happens to be one of the keys to achieving my goal of freedom.

Besides, I could go back to being a normal reader instead of reading as a writer.

ETA: Choosing not to write anymore doesn't make me (or anyone else) less of a person or a writer. It doesn't negate our love, passion or enjoyment of writing. :)

kct webber
08-15-2008, 03:52 PM
As I've said before in other threads: Regardless of success or failure, I'll write 'til the cold of death freezes my fingers on the keyboard. (I may not even stop then. :D)

tehuti88
08-15-2008, 08:57 PM
I already know I'm never going to be published, because I haven't the heart or courage to bother trying. :(

I'm still writing though. I love to do it, and I have nothing better to do, and even if it isn't published, that doesn't mean people can't read it. It just means my audience is much more limited and I'm not making any money off it. In truth I'd prefer the readers over the money any day. In truth I'd prefer just one or two people who are honestly interested in what I write and who I could connect to. So of course, publishing is pretty much my last priority by now. I'd just be glad to have people reading and enjoying the stuff!

*sighs wistfully*

Topaz044
08-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Well, I'm already published in magazines so it's a moot point anyway...:)

If I knew I could never be published, I would still write. I kind of have the personality where I won't stop. I go as high as I can go, until I go over my head and crash and burn. So yes, I would still keep trying and if I still couldn't be publish, I would go into self-publishing.

tehuti88
08-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Here's another question: if you knew that no one else would ever read your work, would you continue to write?

Yes, still I would write, but I would be terribly depressed about it. I write because I love to, because it's second nature to me, but one of my highest priorities is to make an impact on someone else, to move them, to inspire or interest them or entertain them, and hopefully to connect to somebody over my writing. Knowing for certain that this would never happen would crush me.

Unfortunately I suspect this may be so already. :(

Ms Hollands
08-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Hmmm, I've already been published many times as a technical author and journalist so it's hard to answer truthfully. I think I would keep writing.

However, if The God Of Writing tapped me on the shoulder and told me I could not write well and had no ability, I think I would give up, give in, and spend this lifetime doing something more productive. After all, once you've been told something like that by some almighty god, how could you ever enjoy it again?

c2ckim
08-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes I would still write becuse my beta readers wouldn't let me quit. I love to write

Straka
08-16-2008, 12:15 AM

I'd commit Seppuku

drachin8
08-16-2008, 12:40 AM

I disagree with some of the assumptions above. But first off, if I were to discover that I would never be published again, I would not continue to write.

Is it because I lack a passion for writing? Not quite. I have a passion for stories, which is close. That means I get enjoyment out of reading my own completed stories and others' completed stories. And I do enjoy writing far more than I enjoy programming, and if I had the choice, I would rather be paid to write than program. But I also have bills to pay. Obligations to meet. And only twenty-four hours in the day. And every hour I write is an hour I am not spending with my husband or my friends or my family, an hour I am not taking care of the survival necessities, an hour I am not spending reading something that is more publishable than my work (assuming my work is unpublishable, of course)(heh). So I write with the goal of publication, with the goal of writing at some unknown point in the future becoming my primary career. And I write because I want to create beautiful stories and read them and have other people read them. Lots of other people. I write with a purpose. Without publication, these goals dissipate. I can turn stories around in my head whenever I please without expending the effort of a first draft. I can read and lose myself in the worlds that others create without stealing near as much time from my loved ones.

I don't need to write. I want to write.

:)

-Michelle

Shadow_Ferret
08-16-2008, 12:40 AM
If I knew I would never be published I would quit writing. I don't need this heartache.

Then I'd take up some equally frustrating hobby, like striving to be on the next USA Olympic Men's Gymnastic team (think 51 is too old?) or maybe giving a concerto at Carnegie Hall, as soon as I mastered some musical instrument that I haven't decided on yet.

ishtar'sgate
08-16-2008, 01:58 AM

Pretty much at the top. I write historical fiction and if I thought all that research, writing, revising and editing was going nowhere I honestly wouldn't do it. I have another interest I'd pour all my time and effort into - a vineyard. I love growing grapes so instead of a hobby I'd probably make it a business.
Linnea

SerenityX
08-16-2008, 02:26 AM
I'd like to think that I will always write. I live for my stories - I love them like I imagine I'd love a husband. Probably more, actually, given that I'd rather be writing. Being published is a dream I've had since I got my first poem published in a child anthology when I was seven, but it's not the top of my priorities. I don't have the confidence yet that I am good enough for it - but I will always be good enough to write for myself.

Toothpaste
08-16-2008, 02:31 AM
I know I would. Because when I began writing I had absolutely no intention of getting published, I literally wrote for myself (and my poor friends who had to suffer through me reading bits to them). But I probably wouldn't write as frequently, nor with as much care and thoughtfulness. Writing to be published raised the bar for me, made me take extra care and write the best I possibly could. Not that I wouldn't try to write well, but the frustration and the time some passages take in getting them just so - I doubt I would put in that effort. It's so hard, so emotionally draining . . . I think I would go back to simply writing for the joy of it (that is not to say that there isn't joy now, but there is also a lot more grief than there used to be)!

If I'm being honest. Which I am.

KTC
08-16-2008, 02:35 AM
I know I would. Because when I began writing I had absolutely no intention of getting published, I literally wrote for myself (and my poor friends who had to suffer through me reading bits to them). But I probably wouldn't write as frequently, nor with as much care and thoughtfulness. Writing to be published raised the bar for me, made me take extra care and write the best I possibly could. Not that I wouldn't try to write well, but the frustration and the time some passages take in getting them just so - I doubt I would put in that effort. It's so hard, so emotionally draining . . . I think I would go back to simply writing for the joy of it (that is not to say that there isn't joy now, but there is also a lot more grief than there used to be)!

If I'm being honest. Which I am.

Says the girl with one success under her belt and the second one sticking out from the top! hehe.

I write for me too. When I was a kid...about 6 or 7...I wrote for my mean big brother. A scary story would stop the punches...he loved heads on platters in fridges. Really. I did not make that up.

Toothpaste
08-16-2008, 02:50 AM
Well I thought it meant like if you had never gotten published and would never get published, basically do you write for passion or for publication, was my interpretation of the question - except it was a far better question than that (as we all know that question implies it is only one or the other - the OP's question took the other completely out of the equation).'

Love the story about writing for your brother! Hilarious, and very cute.

Williebee
08-16-2008, 02:52 AM
"If you knew that you would never be published..."

I'm sorry? If I knew what I would never be published?

Wait... Don't tell me.

KTC
08-16-2008, 02:54 AM
Well I thought it meant like if you had never gotten published and would never get published, basically do you write for passion or for publication, was my interpretation of the question - except it was a far better question than that (as we all know that question implies it is only one or the other - the OP's question took the other completely out of the equation).'

Love the story about writing for your brother! Hilarious, and very cute.

Yes...you were answering the question properly...I was merely teasing.

KTC
08-16-2008, 02:54 AM
"If you knew that you would never be published..."

I'm sorry? If I knew what I would never be published?

Wait... Don't tell me.

Sharpen your feather. It'll come to you.

Shadow_Ferret
08-16-2008, 04:17 AM
I know I would. Because when I began writing I had absolutely no intention of getting published, I literally wrote for myself (and my poor friends who had to suffer through me reading bits to them). Maybe I'm weird, but I was submitting from day one. My intention from the very beginning was to be published. So that sort of seems unfair. You didn't want to be and are and I wanted to be and ain't. ;)

Joycecwilliams
08-16-2008, 05:20 AM
Yes, I would still write. Writing is a great therapy for me. A day without writing is like a day without brushing your teeth. It's all fuzzy and stinky. :)

Matera the Mad
08-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Hell yes I'd write. Besides, I have a website. I'd be read anyway. ;)

Cassiopeia
08-16-2008, 07:28 AM
I've been writing since I was 11 years old. I never really considered that I'd be published one day. I still wonder about that one but it's not my primary objective. Maybe that's why I'm not in a hurry.

I like telling the story even if no one reads it. It's my escape. :)

Toothpaste
08-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Maybe I'm weird, but I was submitting from day one. My intention from the very beginning was to be published. So that sort of seems unfair. You didn't want to be and are and I wanted to be and ain't. ;)

Yup most unfair! But don't worry, the universe paid me back nicely - I have only ever wanted to be an actress since I was brought into this world. Went to art schools from the age of 11, moved to London England and studied at one of the most prestigious schools out there, and have probably one of the most non-existent acting careers around. Forget getting parts, I can't even get auditions!

So I am to you, what someone like Evangeline Lilly from LOST (who evidently wasn't all that interested in acting) is to me. Ain't life a big hilarious joke? ;)

(and I know you were teasing, but you should know that I loved writing, I just never even considered it was possible to be published, it seemed so out of my reach, so I didn't see the point in trying - but I do love writing and have been doing it since I was very very little)

Woodsie
08-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Definately and I may even enjoy it more if I didn't want it to be published.

michelle25
08-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Great thread Ė perfect for me at this moment because after pouring out my soul in a novel (a couple actually) and getting feedback, Iíve been advised to step back and let time give me a better perspective on things. I guess itís true that I might see the world differently at age 40 or 50 than I do at my current age (26), but I have to admit I wanted more from writing than this advice to Ďstep backí. Did I write because I loved it regardless of whether I got published? Yes. But now that Iíve written everything that was in my head, what do I do? I have to have some sort of validation, which brings me to the quote below which I love -

No publication, no writing for me. Money doesn't enter into it. And I don't think your analogy is accurate. The dancer in your example had people watching her. Would she, would you, have danced for so long with no one watching?

Judg
08-16-2008, 10:33 PM
I would probably go back to more active blogging. A novel is just way too much work to do if nobody is going to read it. So if I come to the conclusion that I have no chance of being published, I'd look for another way to communicate.

Poetry, on the other hand, I would write just for the love of it.

Pat~
08-16-2008, 11:20 PM

I will always write. Writing is how I think. It corrals all those ADD thoughts ricocheting around my brain and organizes them into some semblance of order and meaning for me. It's how I communicate with myself, or God, and even sometimes (but not always) with others. Communication is important to me; publication is not.

That may be simply because I have been published--it's not a 'dream' waiting to become a goal. But I'd have to say also that I've never been very goal-oriented (to a fault, really); so while I'm actually surprised to find myself published at this point in my life, it still doesn't propel my writing, or even determine what I write about day-to-day. I suspect that means that even though I do this part-time, I'm not truly a "professional" writer. I don't write in a disciplined way; I'll write something because I'm moved to write about it for some reason. Then, I may (or may not) consider whether it's something I'd hone for publication. And even when I get occasional writing opportunities/assignments, I generally only do them if they mesh with my interest in the subject matter. (Like this week--first time in over a year, actually, that I'm writing something 'for publication.')

Here's another question: if you knew that no one else would ever read your work, would you continue to write? Again, yes. Most of my writing is private...I have dozens of ring-binders, spirals, and Word docs that I suspect my daughter might someday take a passing glance at, but that's pretty inconsequential as to why I write.

inkkognito
08-17-2008, 12:00 AM
I'd blog and journal and probably work in some form of corporate communications (which I did for a number of years, in both a newsletter writing and corporate training capacity...oddly fulfilling in its own way).

Claudia Gray
08-17-2008, 01:37 AM
If I absolutely knew I would never, ever, ever sell any fiction again, I would still write -- but I'd probably go back to mostly writing fanfiction. The money and recognition of publication doesn't make any difference to my desire to write; the ability to provide enjoyment for readers does.

Tachyon
08-17-2008, 02:20 AM
There is an Orson Scott Card story about a man who gets visited by time travel agents from the future. They tell him that if his stories are ever published, they will cause millions of deaths from revolutions. Rather than killing him at childhood or forbidding him to write outright, they make a deal with the man: he can finish what he writes, but then he has to burn all but the first three pages.

I read it a very long time ago, so my summary doesn't do it justice, but this topic just reminds me of it. If I were visited by time travellers and told I could/would never be published, I'd still need to write.

I seek publication because I write; I don't write because I seek publication.

Susan Breen
08-17-2008, 02:44 AM
There were so many years that I grappled with that very issue. I kept on writing because I really couldn't stop, but I felt very hostile. In fact, I notice when I read through my old (unpublished) novels that there's a lot of anger running through them. Oddly, I wrote The Fiction Class right after my second agent dumped me and I had come to terms with the fact that I would never be published and I was feeling fairly cheerful. Go figure.

kopperhead
08-17-2008, 03:16 AM
Yes, I would. I have always written in some form with never an intent to publish. I have completed two novels that will never be published (I'm sure I would be sued). I am working on a commercial novel now, and if it is ever good enough to reach the publication stage I will pursue that.

And someday in the future when my grandchildren dig into the boxes stored in the attic, they will learn a lot about their grandmother should they choose to read what's there.

wrinkles
08-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Great thread Ė perfect for me at this moment because after pouring out my soul in a novel (a couple actually) and getting feedback, Iíve been advised to step back and let time give me a better perspective on things. I guess itís true that I might see the world differently at age 40 or 50 than I do at my current age (26), but I have to admit I wanted more from writing than this advice to Ďstep backí. Did I write because I loved it regardless of whether I got published? Yes. But now that Iíve written everything that was in my head, what do I do? I have to have some sort of validation, which brings me to the quote below which I love -

You're too young to give up. Advice to "step back" doesn't make any sense. Ignore it. Hang in there. Keep writing. Keep learning. Keep trying. At some point you may decide it's not going to happen, but that decision is far in your future. If you keep trying, you may never have to make that decision.

geardrops
08-17-2008, 09:49 AM
I believe I can say yes, honestly.

When I was younger, I gathered up the courage to show my mother my writing. She told me I'd never get published, and I believed her. I kept writing anyway.

Atlantis
08-17-2008, 02:35 PM
My Mum is always worried that I'll give up on my writing. Every now and again she'll turn to me with an anxious look on her face and ask me if I'll ever stop writing. I keep telling 'No. Not ever.' I write for several reasons: 1) as an escape from work and family, 2) for fun, 3) in the hope that one day I'll be able to write full time and 4) to get published. I'll never stop. I'm determined to walk into a bookstore one day, ask for the latest Marisa Quinn novel, and be led to a bookshelf with my books on it.