Follow up from Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

How do agents follow up when they are interested in reading one's work, after they have read a partial? I mean do they send you a contract in the mail to review or do they call you? Is the size of the envelope any indicator, i.e. small envelope equals rejection, large envelope contains hope?

Thank you,

ED

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Usually they will call if they are interested in representing you. They won't just mail you a contract because that would be a bit presumptuous on their part. You have to agree to them representing you after all. Aside from that you kind of want to talk to them, ask them questions, make sure you can work with them (and they with you). The size of an envelope could be meaningful, I guess if it's small it means they haven't sent back your partial. But it could be totally meaningless. Obviously once you open the envelope, you'll know. But it is unlikely you will get such an offer off of a partial anyway. The next step is usually them asking for the full manuscript. An agent has to be able to know you are capable of completing a book, and doing it well.

When it happens, it will happen, and in whatever form it happens. It won't be cryptic. You'll know it. This is really not something you need to worry about! There are so many other wonderful things we writers have to be neurotic over!

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it varies, but if they arrive at your house in the middle of a rainstorm with a bottle of scotch, that's usually a good sign.

Enraptured

Narrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoecannon.com
In my experience, sometimes they'll send a request for more material in the SASE you gave them, and sometimes they'll send an email. If they want to offer representation... I don't have any personal experience in this area, sadly, but I've heard they'll either call or email.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
It's extremely unlikely an agent will offer representation until they've read the complete ms. Even then, some ask for some revision before commiting themselves.

maggieuc

Registered
Reaction score
After reading my full ms, my agent emailed to set up a phone conversation.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
A request for a full came via email. The request for changes also came by email.

No agent will offer a contract sight unseen, based on a partial.

Donkey

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it varies, but if they arrive at your house in the middle of a rainstorm with a bottle of scotch, that's usually a good sign.

849344542_87ed3d2000_o.gif

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Good news most often comes by e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.