• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

YA Fantasy 1st Chapter Revision Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mara_jade3

Broken Pixie
Registered
Reaction score
I need some help with the first chapter of my novel. It's a YA fantasy. An agent likes what I have, except for the first chapter. I have gotten this comment a lot about the first chapter. I was wondering if there is someone out there who can help me figure out what to do with it. She wants total change in this chapter. I will share the email with whoever helps.

I prefer someone who will really push me, have honesty, but not like be outright mean. Constructive criticism, please. :) I do take advice well.

If anyone needs to read the whole novel to grasp what is happening, it is 87k. Hope you can read fast because the agent will give me another shot. Thanks and I hope to hear from someone.

~Jen

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm assuming the chapter is 2,000 to 4,000 words?

I'd be glad to take a shot at it since it's YA, although I'm not a big reader of fantasy myself. I would probably be looking more at the structure and "technical" details of the writing rather than the storyline itself. I'm usually pretty good with "what if?" ideas.

There's no reason you can't have more than one person read it and offer comments.

I'll send you my e-mail address by PM and if you want me to read it, send it on.

mara_jade3

Broken Pixie
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Alleycat! btw, your avatar is perfect for my book. It's about pirates. lol How fitting you replied. :)

When you send your email, I will paste the agents problems with the chapter. I basically need to make her connect with the MC.

jamesn65

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nickjamesbooks.com
If you still want help I'll take a look at it.

Oh, and BTW how did you get the agent to read the rest of the book if they didn't like the first chapter?? Lucky you!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.