How would you pronounce these names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
I've given the main characters in my Urban Fantasy novel the names of "real" angels, but I'll be darned if I can decide how their names should be pronounced. What do you think?

Maion (female): MAY-on? May-ON? MY-on? My-ON? Something else?

Azrael (male): AZ-ree-al? AZ-ray-al? Something else?

Xaphan (male): ZAY-fin? Zah-FAN? Something else?

Thanks as always for your help. I'm sure it'll come in handy when they turn my novel into a TV series. :tongue

SherriC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sherricornelius.com
Maion (female): MAY-on? May-ON? MY-on? My-ON? Something else?

Azrael (male): AZ-ree-al? AZ-ray-al? Something else?

Xaphan (male): ZAY-fin? Zah-FAN? Something else?

Well, I don't know how they're supposed to be pronounced, but if I were reading along and encountered them I'd pronounce them MY-on, AHZ_ray_ELL (Gargamel on the Smurfs had a cat named this), and zay-FAN.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Well, I don't know how they're supposed to be pronounced, but if I were reading along and encountered them I'd pronounce them MY-on, AHZ_ray_ELL (Gargamel on the Smurfs had a cat named this), and zay-FAN.
I echo that, except I would read Zah-fan, or maybe zah-phon.

Fillanzea

Registered
Reaction score
MY-on, AZ-rah-el, and probably ZA-fan; in pinyin romanization of Chinese, 'x' is close to 'sh,' so when I've been studying Chinese I'd tend to pronounce it SHA-fan.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Azrael was my Mom's cat, Izzy for short. We said Az-ray-el, just like they did on the Smurfs. She as named after the cat on the Smurfs.
Exotic, No?

Azrael is the Muslim angel of death and ultimate destroyer of the universe. It has enough eyes and hands for any living creature and writes down and erase names of his book. When the last being had died is when Azrael becomes blind

MelodyO

Registered
Reaction score
Azrael was my Mom's cat, Izzy for short. We said Az-ray-el, just like they did on the Smurfs. She as named after the cat on the Smurfs.
Exotic, No?

Ha! I forgot about that cat on the Smurfs. Let's go with them, shall we? :D

MY-on, AZ-rah-el, and probably ZA-fan; in pinyin romanization of Chinese, 'x' is close to 'sh,' so when I've been studying Chinese I'd tend to pronounce it SHA-fan.

That's a good point, although you'd think biblical names would be Hebrew or some such. *biblically challenged* Thanks for your thoughts!

Azrael is the Muslim angel of death and ultimate destroyer of the universe. It has enough eyes and hands for any living creature and writes down and erase names of his book. When the last being had died is when Azrael becomes blind

LOL! Probably that's not what the Smurf people were thinking of. Also...how would you pronounce it??

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I tend to give them the Latin pronounciation. For example: A as in LAtin.\

Maion = Mah-ion
Azrael = Azrah-el
Xaphan = Zah-fan

Phot's Moll

Registered
Reaction score
If they're your characters, then the way you pronounce them is correct.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
One hint about a LOT of the angel names found in sacred text: they are usually spelled as a sound-alike varient of Michael (MEE-kai-EL) and Gabriel (GAH-bree-EL). Thus we have such additional angel names as Raphael (RAH-fay-EL), Muriel (MYOOR-ree-EL), and Uriel (YUR-ree-EL), etc.

Now ... if I were blindly reading these names in any book with no prior knowledge of their traditional pronunciations, I'd pronounce them like this:

Maion MY-on
Azrael AHZ-ray-EL
Xaphan ZAY-fahn

MelodyO

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all your replies! After digging into my original research, I realized these weren't religious angels at all, but fictional and/or new agey angels. That explains the dearth of info on them.

This is where I found them, if you ever need angel names, BTW. Never say never!
http://www.angel-guide.com/names-angels.html

And after all is said and done, this are how I'm going to pronounce them in my head as I write them. :)

My-OWN
AZ-ree-AL
ZEH-phon

Last edited:

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I might be jumping in on this kind of late, but I'll leave thoughts anyway.

For Maion I'd say My-ohn to roughly rhyme with "bye" and "own".

For Azrael I would say az-ray-el. I think everyone generally agreed on this.

For Xaphan I would say zah-fahn, with a long A in both spots. I looked up the name origin and it came from a French writer (Collin de Plancy), so I would suspect this is how he would have pronounced it, as well. (This is following modern French pronunciation without the nasal vowel at the end.)

Also, I'd argue that Azael and Xaphan aren't new agey angels at all. Azrael has been around for ages and while Xaphan seemed to have been invented relatively recently, nothing about the Dictionnaire Infernal (the book Xaphan is mentioned in) is new agey.

Status
Not open for further replies.