Small changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
If you sent something to an agent and you realize you should make a few small changes to it, should you contact the agent or wait to be contacted? In my case, I am talking about requested material that the agent and I have already talked about. But I really want to make a few more changes than I did before I resent the stuff. What should I do?

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Small changes should be left until you hear back from the agent. You sent it, you're stuck with it, until they reply.

The learning? Take the extra time to let it sit a day or two and review before you send. And make sure you're querying on, and therefore sending out, a finished, polished, ready MS.

The positive? The agent may not notice the little things you want to fix. IF they do, then great, you can tell them you've already got said fix in mind. If they don't, and they're talking representation, then is a good time to say, "I was thinking of making these little alterations, do you think they help, hinder or make no difference?"

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, but these are not typos or problems like that. My work is polished. It is not something the agent would notice but more something I want to do. And this agent is semi-working with me. Can I send an email and mention it or do I really need to wait?

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what JeanneTGC has said.

My view is that the agent will either like your book or won't. If he/she likes it, he/she will probably ask for amendments anyway, which is your opportunity to make the improvement you have in mind.

I do understand your frustration at wanting to make a change you think will improve your book, but I can't help thinking if you crash in now it could look over anxious or possibly incompetent.

If my own experience is anything to go by, I knew after I'd sent a requested full that it wasn't as great as I could have made it. But, the agent liked the concept and the writing style and we sorted a few bits between us before he started subbing to publishers.

Good luck.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Thanks, but these are not typos or problems like that. My work is polished. It is not something the agent would notice but more something I want to do. And this agent is semi-working with me. Can I send an email and mention it or do I really need to wait?
You can do whatever you want. ;)

However, as Qwerty said, you run a risk (in my opinion, a huge risk) of looking unprofessional and incompetent.

If the agent's working with you somewhat, you're at a delicate stage, where you can easily show yourself to be far more work than you're worth. Remember, at every stage until they take you (and sometimes even after that) agents are looking for reasons to say NO, not yes. Don't give this agent a reason, when by merely showing a modicum of patience, you can come off as collaborative, as valuing the agent's thoughts and opinion, and as willing to make edits and changes for the good of the overall book.

Status
Not open for further replies.