PDA

View Full Version : The pain

Perks
08-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Why, why, WHY does smashing your toe have to hurt so much? I did natural childbirth without much squawking and here I am, reeling in nausea, washed in waves of chills and fatigue - damned near swooning, because I knocked my toes into the newel post, avoiding a tent my evil child has erected there.

I'm going back to BED!

Shadow_Ferret
08-13-2008, 05:27 PM
You know, Perks, I've started this post and deleted it several times because I couldn't come up with the proper degree of sympathy worthy of our relationship.

So then I gave up.

*tries to suppress his laughter*

Perks
08-13-2008, 05:32 PM
That'd be about right then, SF. You are truly in tune with our rhythm.

Shadow_Ferret
08-13-2008, 05:34 PM
And it's a very danceable rhythm, too.

cray
08-13-2008, 05:36 PM
yea, sorry perks, i too am having trouble drumming up any sort of emotion here in regard to your toe. other than :roll:

*ahem*

Perks
08-13-2008, 05:36 PM
And it's a very danceable rhythm, too.Unlike 'So Happy Together' by The Turtles

Perks
08-13-2008, 05:38 PM
You people are mean. I'm still red in the face and all my joints feel like they're full of pudding.

And my toe feels like it's glowing.

Bmwhtly
08-13-2008, 05:40 PM
I did natural childbirth without much squawkingWhy do I have an inkling that anyone else present at the time would testify that you're a liar?

Anyway... what? a toe?

I got nothin'

Shadow_Ferret
08-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Awww. You know I love you, Perks. In a sort of Edgar Allen Poe "Cask of Amontillado" sort of way.

Tink
08-13-2008, 05:44 PM
You have my sympathies...and why we are discussing pain- Why is it that people call their elbows 'the funny bone' when they hit it? There is absolutely nothing funny about it at all...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Karma IS at work here, guys... and she's a woman.

Just sayin'.

((((((Perks))))))

Shadow_Ferret
08-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Karma IS at work here, guys... and she's a woman.

Just sayin'.

((((((Perks))))))My eyelid is the size of a walnut and it's flaming red and in pain. I think I"ve got all the Kharma I can handle.

Perks
08-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Why do I have an inkling that anyone else present at the time would testify that you're a liar?

You'd be quite wrong. I didn't have any problems at all. I didn't cry or wail or scream or gnash or bitch. In fact, it was more like this Biblical intensity instead of pain.

I can't complain to my husband this morning, because, hand to god, this is the conversation we had after the spawn was manifest:

"So, you think now that you did that without yelling and cursing, you could manage to stop crying every time you stub your toe."

"No. That's not the same thing. At all."

Shadow_Ferret
08-13-2008, 05:48 PM
*giggles*

I like him. I think we'd get along.

Perks
08-13-2008, 05:48 PM
My eyelid is the size of a walnut and it's flaming red and in pain. I think I"ve got all the Kharma I can handle.That's hideous. What have you done?

Shadow_Ferret
08-13-2008, 05:57 PM
I didnt' do anything. It started out as an itch on my eyelid and ballooned up until I could hardly see out of it. I went to see a doctor and he starts going on about shingles and shows me these pictures of horribly mutated faces throwing me into a complete panic that I'm going to die. Then he examines me and goes, "Oh, it's nothing but an infection. It's what we call a sty. Here's some antibiotics."

Gee, thanks. A-hole.

(and when I first read your post I thought you said, "That hilarious.") :)

Perks
08-13-2008, 06:02 PM
(and when I first read your post I thought you said, "That hilarious.") :)

Well, it's that too, Quasimodo.

Shadow_Ferret
08-13-2008, 06:06 PM
That's funny, because Charles Laughton was the first thing I thought of when I looked in the mirror.

Don't look at me.

robeiae
08-13-2008, 06:08 PM
I smashed my right pinkie toe on a bed a couple of weeks ago--broke, I'm sure and it still hurts. Of course, both kinds have managed to step on since then...

Perks
08-13-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm so glad you didn't say anything unpleasant, Robeieieieieo. I'm rather in love with you these days, in the daydream of that avatar.

robeiae
08-13-2008, 06:13 PM
I can't remember the last time I even approached being unpleasant. Plus, I don't look like roadkill...*looks pointedly at the ferret*

Marian Perera
08-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Why is it that people call their elbows 'the funny bone' when they hit it?

Because it's the end of the bone called the humerus?

Perks
I can't remember the last time I even approached being unpleasant. Yes, but you hate me. So, I thought you were just stockpiling the ammo.

Shadow_Ferret
Hey! When was the last time you saw roadkill with a jester's hat on?

And I apologized for the hypocricy thing, didn't I?

NeuroFizz
08-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Mysterious

In the darkness, not one day past
blunt end to me, serendipitous cast
an oak did lie full grooved and etched
impacted sinew thusly stretched
a trestle, hissed in cadence force
the act without, but delayed remorse

Or, put in non-Gongorian roe
I just stubbed my fu**ing toe

NOTE: Gongorism is considered a deliberately ornamental, meaningless and obscure style. It is reported to originate from the works of the Spanish poet Luis de Gongora y Argote (1561-1627), however, the exaggerations of his imitators (evidently) contributed more to the hits on his reputation than did his own work.

Tink
08-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Because it's the end of the bone called the humerus?
Oh...that goes to show that you're never too old to learn new things. :)

cray
08-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Oh...that goes to show that you're never too old to learn new things. :)

pfft.
you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
ask haggis.

Shadow_Ferret
08-13-2008, 06:34 PM
pfft.
you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
ask haggis.
Actually, Mythbusters proved that's nothing but a myth.

Ask Haggis.

cray
08-13-2008, 06:41 PM
mythbusters was proved a myth.
ask haggis

Tink
08-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Haggis....woo-hoo...you are needed in here.

*goes in search of that poor possessed pup*

stormie
08-13-2008, 06:45 PM
You have my sympathy, Perks. A broken toe--even the little toe--hurts like $&#*@Y.

Tink
08-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Yes it does, I broke my toe (the one next to the big toe) a few yrs. ago and it was hell for awhile. I couldn't wear any of my regular shoes and whenever I put pressure on that foot the pain would shoot straight my leg like some was shoving a hot fire poker up the center of my leg.

HeronW
08-13-2008, 06:48 PM
A few eyars ago I dropped a hunk of marble & thought I broke my toe--not much to do for it but wrap it next to the larger toe next to it, keep it up to reduce the swelling. Ice 15 min on 45 off for 3 hours, wrap it with gauze to immobilize and elevate. If you scream when you wlak on it--get xrays and maybe the doc can give you sonthing stronger thean motrin.

Stew21
08-13-2008, 06:49 PM
I can sympathize. I broke a pinky toe - twice. It's actually straighter now that it has been broken than it was before. But the pain was excruciating. It was a middle of the night trip to the bathroom and the follow up trip over the dog that did it (trip over dog, smack foot against door frame, hear a crack, cuss at dog). I crawled back to bed and woke to a purple and blue swollen foot.
Stubbing toes hurts. but of course my husband would have no sympathy. He broke his foot two weeks ago and outside of some wincing, didn't cry once.

cray
08-13-2008, 06:50 PM
real men don't cry
ask haggis

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-13-2008, 06:55 PM
My eyelid is the size of a walnut and it's flaming red and in pain. I think I"ve got all the Kharma I can handle.

See? I told you! Karma knew and dropped the sty on you before you were mean 'cause she was gonna be busy today and knew she wouldn't get around to it.

Stubbing toes hurts. but of course my husband would have no sympathy. He broke his foot two weeks ago and outside of some wincing, didn't cry once.

That's only when you're around. When he's alone, he bawls like a baby.

real men don't cry
ask haggis

Haggis isn't a man; he's a dog. He can cry. Hell, he whines all the time.

Perks
08-13-2008, 07:00 PM
See? I told you! Karma knew and dropped the sty on you before you were mean 'cause she was gonna be busy today and knew she wouldn't get around to it.

Preemptive karma. That's awesome.

'When the universe knows you're gonna be an asshole.'

Stew21
08-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I love Preemptive kharma

Stew <--- trying to think of a place to use that in her book. :D

Shadow_Ferret
08-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Preemptive karma. That's awesome.

'When the universe knows you're gonna be an asshole.'
Maybe it's simply reciprocal circular kharma since we're always mean to each other. Your toe. My eye. What next?

tiny
08-13-2008, 07:25 PM
I feel bad for you, Perks. I broke my toe at the beach a week ago, so the pudding and growing I understand.... especially since a bee stung the same toe yesterday (at the beach). I'm getting ready to nip it off with a pair of bolt cutters. Broken and itching like hell do not go together.

Susie
08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Perks, sure hope your toes feel better and tt and watch those lil piggies, k. :)

JimmyB27
08-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Why, why, WHY does smashing your toe have to hurt so much? I did natural childbirth without much squawking and here I am, reeling in nausea, washed in waves of chills and fatigue - damned near swooning, because I knocked my toes into the newel post, avoiding a tent my evil child has erected there.

I'm going back to BED!
At last! We have a benchmark of how painful childbirth really is. Something men can never experience, that women always harp on about as the most pain anyone can ever go through, is not as painful as a mere stub of the toe. Which a man can shrug off without so much as a tear.
And getting hit in the balls hurts a lot more than a stubbed toe - so I'm off outta here before someone tries to put that to the test...

Williebee
08-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your new limp, Perks.

But hey, speaking of "happy" songs (remember, Happy Together, a couple pages up thread.)

Anybody know where I can find the rest of this video (http://www.roe25.com/bw/Turtle.MOV)?

Perks
08-13-2008, 08:05 PM
At last! We have a benchmark of how painful childbirth really is. Something men can never experience, that women always harp on about as the most pain anyone can ever go through, is not as painful as a mere stub of the toe. Which a man can shrug off without so much as a tear.
And getting hit in the balls hurts a lot more than a stubbed toe - so I'm off outta here before someone tries to put that to the test...

Lol! Yeah, I can't endorse that experiment. My experience of natural childbirth was one of everything lining up where it should have and the whole thing as sort of appealing to my analytical nature. Don't think for a second that anyone who processes it differently (with different physical circumstances) is playing it up or being wimpy. That's not the case.

I am just incapable of being philosophical about my toes.

Stew21
08-13-2008, 08:15 PM
I am just incapable of being philosophical about my toes.

quote of the week.

shawkins
08-14-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't suppose any of you natural childbirth veterans have ever had a kidney stone, have you? I've always wondered which was worse, but I'm not going to find out through personal experience.

If any of you women have had a kidney stone, it's a fairly close approximation of a man getting kicked in the nethers. In case you ever wondered.

Perks
08-14-2008, 01:54 AM
I don't suppose any of you natural childbirth veterans have ever had a kidney stone, have you? I've always wondered which was worse, but I'm not going to find out through personal experience.

If any of you women have had a kidney stone, it's a fairly close approximation of a man getting kicked in the nethers. In case you ever wondered.

I haven't had a kidney stone, but from a purely physiological standpoint, they can't be all that similar. One is an injury, the other a natural, normal, albeit strenuous, bodily function.

I'll put it this way - a friend of mine staggered to the men's room and passed a kidney stone. We heard him scream up front at the bar.

Women in labor do not sound like that.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-14-2008, 02:39 AM
Anybody know where I can find the rest of this video (http://www.roe25.com/bw/Turtle.MOV)?

I can't find anything but that little bit with the turtle... but here's the rest of the song with someone else (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFkEtQ7NjXM). ;)

threedogpeople
08-14-2008, 10:13 AM

I'm going back to BED!

Uhhmmmm....to block out the urge to kill the evil tent building child?