PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite quote?

Mr. Anonymous
08-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Ok, not sure if this thread belongs here or somewhere else but...oh well.

I apologize in advance if this has been done before, but...oh well again. :P

Anyway, here are the rules.

I thought it would be fascinating to hear how fellow writers responded to this question.

Here's what you do.

Just go ahead and post your favorite quote of all time (Can not be from your own writing. lol.)

No, you can't have three favorites. Or Two. Only one. :P

I'll go first.

"For man, unlike any other thing organic or inorganic in the universe, grows beyond his work, walks up the stairs of his concepts, emerges ahead of his accomplishments.

This you may say of man—when theories change and crash, when schools, philosophies, when narrow dark alleys of thought, national, religious, economic, grow and disintegrate, man reaches, stumbles forward, painfully, mistakenly sometimes.

Having stepped forward, he may slip back, but only half a step, never the full step back. This you may say and know it and know it.

This you may know when the bombs plummet out of the black planes on the market place, when prisoners are stuck like pigs, when the crushed bodies drain filthily in the dust.

You may know it in this way.

If the step were not being taken, if the stumbling-forward ache were not alive, the bombs would not fall, the throats would not be cut.

Fear the time when the bombs stop falling while the bombers live—for every bomb is proof that the spirit has not died. And fear the time when the strikes stop while the great owners live—for every little beaten strike is proof that the step is being taken.

And this you can know—fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is the foundation of Manself, and this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe."

-John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath.

JeanneTGC
08-13-2008, 09:25 AM
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying." Woody Allen

TrickyFiction
08-13-2008, 09:46 AM
The best quote ever comes from Lemony Snicket in the director's commentary of the film A Series of Unfortunate Events. He says, "Nothing about this film is happy or an accident. I think it's something dreadful on purpose," or something pretty darn close to that.

chevbrock
08-13-2008, 09:50 AM
"All first drafts are shit" - Hemmingway.

My mantra.

Blondchen
08-13-2008, 10:40 AM
"The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." - Martin Mull

Danger Jane
08-13-2008, 10:41 AM
"Don't talk to me about rules, dear. Wherever I stay I make the goddamn rules."

Maria Callas

ynoirb
08-13-2008, 11:46 AM
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.
— Mae West

Bartholomew
08-13-2008, 12:12 PM
It's a tie for me.

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart, he dreams himself your master." - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "Librarian's Preface." (From a strategy game.)

#

"If you can discover a better way of life than office holding for your future rulers, a well governed city becomes a possibility. For only in such a state will those rule who are truly rich, not in gold, but in the wealth that makes happiness--a good and wise life." - Plato, "The Republic."

LisaHy
08-13-2008, 02:30 PM
"I'm not insane. I have unarguable powers of reason. No one argues with my reason!"

- Bob, DAAS Kapital. (of course, he says it while brandishing a gun, so that gives it added gravitas. ;) )

Cheers, Lisa.

darrtwish
08-13-2008, 02:44 PM
"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest."-Mark Twain

citymouse
08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
When you come to a fork in the road, take it. ~Yogi Berra
C

NeuroFizz
08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Serious one:

"Never mistake activity for achievement." John Wooden

Even more serious one:

"You are only young once, but you can be immature forever." Said by some baseball player, I think.

Toothpaste
08-13-2008, 05:37 PM
After last night, new fav which I feel is appropriate in any context:

"Just because it's a theme song, don't make it not true."

~grace~
08-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Do or do not. There is no try.

Madison
08-13-2008, 09:02 PM
"For man, unlike any other thing organic or inorganic in the universe, grows beyond his work, walks up the stairs of his concepts, emerges ahead of his accomplishments.

This you may say of man—when theories change and crash, when schools, philosophies, when narrow dark alleys of thought, national, religious, economic, grow and disintegrate, man reaches, stumbles forward, painfully, mistakenly sometimes.

Having stepped forward, he may slip back, but only half a step, never the full step back. This you may say and know it and know it.

This you may know when the bombs plummet out of the black planes on the market place, when prisoners are stuck like pigs, when the crushed bodies drain filthily in the dust.

You may know it in this way.

If the step were not being taken, if the stumbling-forward ache were not alive, the bombs would not fall, the throats would not be cut.

Fear the time when the bombs stop falling while the bombers live—for every bomb is proof that the spirit has not died. And fear the time when the strikes stop while the great owners live—for every little beaten strike is proof that the step is being taken.

And this you can know—fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is the foundation of Manself, and this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe."

-John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath.

Wow. I wish I could write like that. What a beautiful passage! I'm going to read it again now.

tehuti88
08-13-2008, 09:16 PM
I think my favorite quote (at the moment) is in my signature. Not the one by Manabozho, which is really mine :o , but the one by Jung.

*posts message to check*

ETA: *whew!* There it is, right below me. :D

Mr. Anonymous
08-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the responses guys! Great quotes!

Madison - Yea, I love The Grapes of Wrath. Probably my favorite book.

ejket
08-14-2008, 09:22 AM
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

Christian Genzel
08-14-2008, 05:42 PM
By working hard, man can improve.
Yeah, well I work hard, but nothing moves -
something else is working harder.
-- Peter Blegvad

Priene
08-14-2008, 07:36 PM
'If I had a quote I'd be wearing it' - Bob Dylan

DeleyanLee
08-14-2008, 07:42 PM
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford

Christian Genzel
08-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Okay, I'll cheat and post another favorite quote of mine ...

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."
- Florence Foster Jenkins

... a quote which works much better when you know who FFJ is ...

Alpha Echo
08-14-2008, 11:56 PM
From the movie Hope Floats

"...beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up. And it will..."

JoNightshade
08-15-2008, 12:18 AM
"Be proud and bitter to the world, my friend; but, privately, just say, 'She doesn't love me.'" - Cyrano de Bergerac, Act 2

SPMiller
08-15-2008, 01:48 AM
"Murder your darlings." -- Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch

My favorite writing quote.

Jackfishwoman
08-15-2008, 06:36 AM
From the movie Hope Floats

"...beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up. And it will..."

I always liked that line from Hope Floats.
I really love Anais Nin's words like the quote below:

There is not one big cosmic meaning for all,
there is only the meaning we each give to our life,
an individual meaning, an individual plot,
like an individual novel, a book for each person.

Clair Dickson
08-15-2008, 06:51 AM
"My works are like water. The works of the great masters are like wine. But everybody drinks water." - Mark Twain, from his private notebook, 1885

And, because I'm never good with rules-- my other favorite:
"Whatever you are, be a good one," -- Abe Lincoln

Snowstorm
08-15-2008, 07:25 AM
“To me, homesteading is the solution of all poverty’s problems, but I realize that temperament has much to do with success in any undertaking, and a person afraid of coyotes and work and loneliness had better let ranching alone. At the same time, any woman who can stand her own company, can see the beauty of the sunset, loves growing things, and is willing to put in as much time at careful labor as she does over the washtub, will certainly succeed; will have independence, plenty to eat all the time, and a home of her own in the end. ... I am only thinking of the troops of tired, worried women, sometimes even cold and hungry, scared to death of losing their places to work, who could have plenty to eat, who could have good fires by gathering the wood, and comfortable homes of their own, if they but had the courage and determination to get them.”
Elinore Pruitt Stewart
Letters of a Woman Homesteader

Robert Toy
08-15-2008, 07:36 AM
“I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.” - Edgar Allan Poe

benbradley
08-15-2008, 08:38 AM
I've always liked this one (and perhaps some other quotes by scientists and such that don't quite come to mind now), it was posted on a Fidonet (1980's-1990's computer BBS version of the Internet, for those who remember 1200 baud modems) science echo (probably "THE" Fidonet science echo). It could have been made up by the person who posted it, but it seems like it would be a quote from a "famous person," as I found it quite accurate and even a little profound.

Anyway, the gist of it is:

There are two basic mistakes humans make: Not seeing a pattern that exists, and seeing a pattern that does not exist.

Matera the Mad
08-15-2008, 08:49 AM
"...lazy mental habits have huge inertia."
-- Eric S. Raymond

CBumpkin
08-15-2008, 08:49 AM
"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- St. Augustine.

Copper Smith
08-15-2008, 09:19 AM
"Originality is the act of remembering what you heard while forgetting where you heard it."

And, of course, I don't remember who said it.

Kotzie
08-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Lust is the craving for salt of a man dying of thirst.
~Frederick Buechner~ (I think)

hlcorbin
08-17-2008, 07:49 AM
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. ~Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

Donkey
08-17-2008, 10:12 AM
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy." Clint Eastwood in Josie Wales, The Outlaw. After a line from a bounty hunter about a man needing to make a living somehow.

crimsonlaw
08-17-2008, 07:40 PM
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul simply has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradicts every thing you said to-day. -- 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' -- Is it so bad then to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

And cause it's fun to break rules...

"Keep Making Art,
and when you get tired; eat,
and/ or watch movies, every kind
make tea and then Keep Making Art.
That Will Keep You From Becoming
'THEM'
- You Know-
those people
who could, but don't
and know there is nothing left for them
them, the terrible them
that tear down the ones
WHO NEVER GAVE UP
on the dream
because you and me kid,
we were made of that stuff
and were born to dream,
even sometimes
for 'them'" - Ryan Adams

C.bronco
08-17-2008, 07:53 PM
"The knowledge is the treasure, and the treasure its own dominion." -Peter Straub

jgold
08-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. ~Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

Lewis Carroll was a genius. Since you already picked one of my favorites, I'll pick another that I've always liked for writing:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

--Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

hlcorbin
08-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Lewis Carroll was a genius. Since you already picked one of my favorites, I'll pick another that I've always liked for writing:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

--Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

Might as well put one more from Carroll....

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.' (haha we could totally look at that as being about the absolute write posters, lol) ~Lewis Carroll

hlcorbin
08-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Oh, i would like to add three more...and then i'm done adding quotes, i swear!

Why do writers write? Because it isn't there.
Thomas Berger

When King Lear dies in Act Five do you know what William Shakespeare has written? He Dies. That's all, nothing more,
no fan fare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the world's most inspirational work
of dramatic literature is, He Died. It took Shakespeare a genius to come up with he dies.
And every time I read those two words I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria,
I know its only natural to be sad, but not because of the words he dies,
but because of the life we saw prior to the words - Mr. Magorioum

Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery. -Jane Austen

Stew21
08-17-2008, 09:04 PM
"All first drafts are shit" - Hemmingway.

My mantra.

Um...

"The first draft of anything is shit." Hemingway

:)

gypsyscarlett
08-17-2008, 09:29 PM
I always liked that line from Hope Floats.
I really love Anais Nin's words like the quote below:

There is not one big cosmic meaning for all,
there is only the meaning we each give to our life,
an individual meaning, an individual plot,
like an individual novel, a book for each person.

That is beautiful! :)

As for me- the Emily Bronte quote I have in my sig line is a fave since it describes how I always try to live my life.

I know Mr. Anon said we could only pick one favorite, but he didn't say we couldn't list others that we love. so here are some others:

1. "There is only one happiness in life, and that is to love and be loved."- George Sands
2. "The Heart has reasons that Reason can not know."- Pascal
3. "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing else to add-but when there is nothing left to take away."- Pascal (something that I keep in mind while editing)
4. "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature."- Helen Keller

Oh, and I also quote all the time from, "Alice in Wonderland". It's sublime!

ishtar'sgate
08-17-2008, 10:33 PM
I've always loved this line said in sarcasm in a movie I can't remember about a character whose name I forget. Since I first heard it the line has been used again but it still tickles me. One character said that another character was "mercifully free from the ravages of intelligence".
Linnea

Seaclusion
08-17-2008, 10:48 PM
"The lack of money is the root of all evil" Mark Twain

Richard

Topaz044
08-17-2008, 11:43 PM
"So you see, Lonestar, evil will always triumph. Because good is dumb."
-Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

Topaz044
08-17-2008, 11:46 PM
"We're not running away, we're advancing! Towards future victory."