Not open for further replies.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Hey,

I've just moved to Melbourne and am thinking of attending the 2008 Melbourne Writers Festival. There looks to be some interesting speakers, though a lot of it seems to be non-fiction and not much to do with fiction.

Anyone been before? Even if it wasn't the Melbourne one. Also what should I expect and any tips to get the most out of the sessions?

ynoirb

Mmm. Unexplained bacon.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brionywilliamson.wordpress.com
I'm volunteering at the festival this year, although I've never been before. Which sessions were you interested in? I know some have sold out.

I guess it depends if you have a specific interest or you're like me and want to attend everything :)

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I was looking at one called 'The moral of the story' and maybe the one with John Pilger.

It seems a lot of sessions are more for journalists or non-fiction writers, or just talks from writers about themselves.

Can you recommend any suitable sessions for fiction writers? I'm mainly look at the ones on the weekend of the 23rd and 24th.

KC Sunshine

Registered
Reaction score
I went to the festival last year and it was fantastic. Unfortunately none of the sessions have really caught my eye this year so I don't think I'll be attending.

ynoirb

Mmm. Unexplained bacon.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brionywilliamson.wordpress.com
Bsolah, you might want to check out the launch of the Australian Writers Marketplace, which is on in the ACMI lounge at 2pm on the 22nd. It's full of info regarding publishers and agents in Australia, which might be handy for a fiction writer (at least I hope so, I want to go :)

I guess if there was a topic or author you were particularly interested in then it would definitely be worth it, but in terms of specifically for fiction writers there isn't really anything I can think of. Unless you were interested in the master classes

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be doing the Brisbane Writers Festival again this year. I did a masterclass with Michael Collins last year and it was well worth it. Out of the master classes at the Melbourne festival, not much catches the eye to be honest. If I had to pick any, I'd try one of the ones by Jeremy Fisher.

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.